How good is the Level of Detail Engine popup now ????

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Seradest

How good is the Level of Detail Engine popup now ????

Post by Seradest » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

In Games there are many things that makes the atmosphere like shit

one of them is LOD Popups......... i hate it..... i realy realy hate it.

So my english skills are bad but i must make an example:

When you walk in an other gameengine and look at the horizon you can clearly see that 2d things pop up to 3d and after it you clearly see that the texture on this 3d object goes from very low resolution to middle and in modern games to high but high in modern game engine is blurry too :|

ok ok what can we do ?

first there is fog game engine use it to dont show us this ugly LOD pop ups..... but Fog is not an option when you has different weather on maps .... its not always an good option for an good ingame atmosphere.

so what we can do is blurry with an shader trick anything that is a little far away from the charakter...... but sometimes is use more fps than an engine that show 4k textures far far way from you.....

i hate all this problems i look in an hight end game on his 1 billion dollar gameengine ingame and see blurry textures,3d objecs and textures pop ups.

So my question here is
today almost all pc users has 4GB System ramm over 1333mhz and for the GPU 2GB Vram.
How is it possible tha gme engine today are so bad in this lod system ?

And how good is the engine of Overgrowth today in handling the LOD of objects and Textures?

EPR89

Re: How good is the Level of Detail Engine popup now ????

Post by EPR89 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 am

Seradest wrote: today almost all pc users has 4GB System ramm over 1333mhz and for the GPU 2GB Vram.
In your dreams maybe.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 am

PC games and engines are often also used to do console games.

The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR DRAM main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.

XBox 360 has 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz.

Wi: 88 MB main memory (24 MB internal 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB external GDDR3 SDRAM), + 3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer

Playstation 4 is rumoured to have 8+2.2 GB of RAM and video RAM, but it isn't out yet.
http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-playstati ... ecs-so-far

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't think dynamic level of detail changes affect atmosphere at all. Some of the best game atmospheres have been achieved with very simple graphics like in half-life and thief and system shock 1 and 2. I kind of think this is a non-issue, although I imagine in future you will be able to change how far away it is that objects start turning into billboards.