Open World/Open ended SUGGESTION

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sero

Open World/Open ended SUGGESTION

Post by Sero » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Hello,

This is nothing fancy, just a simple suggestion.

I suggest Overgrowth to be turned into an Open world/Open ended game, I realise Lugaru had levels, and so does Overgrowth already, but this just limits the game too much in my opinion, you may be able to create maps and all that good stuff(Good job on letting users create maps :D) but there is always a border.

Basically there isn`t really anything to "Go see" or explore. I suggest otherwise, with the game`s current state, making an Open ended version would not be too difficult, since the combat and movement are already so fluid and well designed, I suggest NPC interactions to give you quests/missions. If this is impossible, please add an open ended level, a level where you are free to do what you want. I want you to have no limits, I want you to be able to do what you want, how you want and when you want(Other than missions critical to the story).

This would make an amazing open ended game, I`m not joking around, with this movement secifically, it would be amazing to be able to climb roofs and jump off, only to see that there is a battle between bandits and town guards as an example, it would be awesome to feel the world alive around you.
Please, PLEASE, I BEG YOU make this game at least partially open ended, it has such a good combat system and movement system fit for a perfect open world game.

Sincerely,

An Overgrowth player.

P.S.: I have nothing against the current game, but it would be so much more enjoyable(To me, atleast) if it was open ended and free to explore!

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Open World/Open ended SUGGESTION

Post by Constance » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

I've actually come up with an idea for an Overgrowth level where it's an open world place.
I could use the lives parameter to make yourself respawn to the place you died.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm

The game engine is based on levels, so a seamless open world is unlikely. Moving between maps (with loading times) would probably be doable, but generating all those levels would take much more work than what they're currently doing.

Level-based maps are basically interesting things for the player to do. Open-world map would area area of interesting scenarios, and areas in-between that have no scenarios, but smaller interesting things in them. A few random monsters, random treasure, or buildings or ruins or dungeons. They'd have to do all of those in-betweens... which in their case would mean less interesting scenarios.

If it would be done in addition to the current Overgrowth levels, instead of reusing them for the open world, it would take even more work.

TL;DR it's lots of work, so it's unlikely for that reason alone.

Karel

Post by Karel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Like I said many times, I'd like to see some kind of map between levels - because, and that point is sure, it's not possible to do a world sized map out of an OG map.

syamada37

Post by syamada37 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 pm

This topic has been brought up many times. THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN. Overgrowth has been designed to run on a linear level scheme, an open world would be unlikely. I have once brought up this topic only to be told it will never happen. Do not get too discouraged for the levels may have some space in them, but there will never be an open world.

last

Post by last » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Yeah, i think you should download SUM launcher and the main menu mod to see that the level area in the game is actually really large. Some of the best levels to demonstrate this is made by Hale, Hale foothold, Hale Riverhurst (only when you have good computer), Hale Shale guard II (or simple),
Gyrth Big city, Spudy The city of dog, Last's old monastery (it's my level actually and it is under construction), Horridius Suspension 2, ZramuliZ Towers.
Sorry guys when some of the really good examples where left out, like some of the parkour maps that will take you up to the sky with multiple paths to do so.
So when you play those levels keep in mind that you wan't to calculate shadows and ambient occlusion and nav mesh for better results

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 pm

last wrote:Sorry guys when some of the really good examples where left out, like some of the parkour maps that will take you up to the sky with multiple paths to do so.
Such as Suspension.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I'd totally like this as some mod of sorts, people upload their maps to the mod maker, he codes the game in a way so that instead of flying back from terrain boundaries it loads a random map from the mod files.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Retarded Username wrote:I'd totally like this as some mod of sorts, people upload their maps to the mod maker, he codes the game in a way so that instead of flying back from terrain boundaries it loads a random map from the mod files.
It only works with reasonable level loading times, and if there's enough to do in the levels. Overgrowth levels are so big they need quite a lot of content to not feel empty, but once it's filled up, that AI up and goes to ask the enemies of Evil Fortress 2, 3 and 4 to join the fight! :D

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd like to see a linear story with open world or diverse features. Like Dishonoured.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:14 pm

I'd like to see whatever the devs come up with on their own.

They're clever people. They've done their homework. Learn to trust, mates.

DI0BL0

Post by DI0BL0 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:35 am

Ill say it again as I have in many other threads like this... I am so tired of this being brought up! Everywhere you go its people saying they should make the game open world, or put crossbows into the game, or they should make the game mulit player. The devs know what they're doing! Leave it to them and know that others have already said things just like this.

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm

I think it'd do great as a closed-off open world (if that makes sense). Like, run to a particular are on the edge of one map and it loads a different one. Exactly what a certain hotspot already does. It could be similar to Monster Hunter which does exactly this.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Advance123 wrote:I think it'd do great as a closed-off open world (if that makes sense). Like, run to a particular are on the edge of one map and it loads a different one. Exactly what a certain hotspot already does. It could be similar to Monster Hunter which does exactly this.
The 'load level' hotspot is currently not working.

Manjarowolf

Post by Manjarowolf » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 am

LugaruFan wrote:I'd like to see a linear story with open world or diverse features. Like Dishonoured.
But.... "Dishonored" WAS a level-based game. You had loading screens -not just from place to place- but for going into certain areas, like a factory, or a mansion. It had variable play-style freedom, but it wasn't an open world. It was just large maps.

Also, open world games are fun but I feel that open-world destroy linear design simply because the main concept of open world is to "explore"; to see. When one is presented with the option to survey the land, they become distracted from their primary objective. That's okay because you're suppose to, but for linear stories, you would need some kind of focus. It's not to say that you need to only give attention to the goal, but at least stay on the road. Think Skyrim: you have to save the world because you're the destined savior. But there's no real rush; get a feel for the land. You're going to be saving this land and everyone in it from totally chaos; shouldn't you get familiar with what you're trying to protect?
Now think Hitman: Absolution: Kill your target but do it the way you want. "Do your job, but you have creative freedom" is it's message because it's linear. You're not emphasized on exploring because you're focus isn't your surroundings, it's the goal. You want this guy dead, as quick as possible without much effort or attention. so you're more focused on killing him and splitting than sightseeing because you don't care about the sights; you care about your goal. period.

So I doubt open world would work. perhaps a large level map design with lessened loading towns would do as some have suggested above.