Unofficial Overgrowth a198 build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
David
Project Leader

Unofficial Overgrowth a198 build

Post by David » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 am

The unofficial, Overgrowth a198 leaked build is here! Note, you can also download it on your Humble Store page now!

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
- Added audience excitement system based on combat events
- Added combat event system so level script can query what is happening
- Added crowd sound that changes based on excitement
- Added script support for looping sounds, and pitch/gain shifting
- Added Elo-inspired player skill ranking and win-probability system
- Added initial intro and outro text for arena career matches
- Added new scriptable Freetype text rendering
- Scroll wheel selection for objects under mouse wheel
- Whoosh sound for missed or dodged attacks
- Fixed problem with weapon sheathing on Linux
- Tweaked jump animation
- Improved camera rotation at level start
- Fixed level editor decal-only or object-only selection
- Improved performance and accuracy of decal projection
- Fixed problem with splitscreen mode persisting in editor mode

A "leaked build" is when I grab the latest development build and package it up for you guys. It has a bunch of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to [email protected].

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not polished builds, just raw development dumps.

To download the alpha, use one of these links, or log into your Humble Store account:

Windows: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Mac OS X: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Linux: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Just want the changes from the last alpha to a198? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/overgrowth-a198.zip
[+] Checksums
Windows builds:
MD5 = a923429a25bbb889447425523d4399da
SHA1 = a85900a016761d76c7f8f78316e3568521adbda0

Mac builds:
MD5 = 56e89388dfc64fbd98a2051d62215952
SHA1 = 378459be9603ad9988a8d23e5e254a46d6202448

Linux builds:
MD5 = f2576c90d67ba221b3f24a172ad030a3
SHA1 = 7c674d3aa645dcce4ea5965ff725130234ef03cd

Diff file:
MD5 = f9898cdec7abd2b423a6c62b4d74540a
SHA1 = 671a113c77b51bbc1cfc7022a3ff74120b05b839
Subscribe to the dev blog!

Aaron

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a198 build -- still uploading

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 am

For new users
  • If you have not installed Overgrowth yet you can use the SUMLauncher to do so!
  • If you already have Overgrowth installed you can use the SUMLauncher to update it to the latest alpha.
  • The SUMLauncher also allows you to install the Menu Mod which gives you another 150+ maps to try.
For Existing SUMLauncher users
  • If the menu files were changed in this alpha, the menu mod will no longer work. Updating the Menu Mod (to re-enable custom maps) might take us a little while. Once we have uploaded a new version you can use the menu mod installer to update it. (And don't worry, it won't break anything if you try running the installer before we upload the new files.)
  • It may also take us a bit to update the Menu Mod to include any new maps that this alpha may have added.
For future updates keep an eye on our twitter @SUMOGUtilities!

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:00 am

I noticed that when David was stealth killing enemies in Patchy Highlands, he hid the bodies.
Foreshadowing?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:41 am

Timbles wrote:I noticed that when David was stealth killing enemies in Patchy Highlands, he hid the bodies.
Foreshadowing?
Not foreshadowing. AI already notice corpses and check for the culprit. At least as far as I recall :/

Garrett

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a198 build

Post by Garrett » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 am

Finally you tweaked that jump animation! Now it looks a lot better, love it.
I also like the new arena mod a lot! Very well done!!

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 am

Nicely done so far David, I do have an idea though about the fan base. What if we can loss fan base, like if we are doing poorly for too long or something your fans will lose interest in you and the number of fans you have will drop. what do you think?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:45 am

Are there any plans for a character selection feature for the arena?
I think the arena would be perfect for a challenge type setup similar to Batman Arkham Asylum/City. You could set up a different arena for each character with their own unique themes. (Wolves could be fighting in an area native to their race(tribe?), Rabbot could be fighting in a factory area, etc.)
It would also be simply fantastic if you could set up randomised arenas for each race. So that not only does each character have a unique theme of arena but multiple randomised arenas to fight in.

Of course this should probably be low priority I guess :P

ANtY

Post by ANtY » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:51 am

Downloading after not playing it for 2 years, I smell getting surprised by how much it has changed in the meantime :)

I like the above idea, wolves could fight in arenas with "walls" made of wood, like tribal cages

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Jaz wrote:
Timbles wrote:I noticed that when David was stealth killing enemies in Patchy Highlands, he hid the bodies.
Foreshadowing?
Not foreshadowing. AI already notice corpses and check for the culprit. At least as far as I recall :/
Alot of times I saw an enemy walk over his friend's corpse. Can anyone explain on how this body finding AI works?

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Timbles wrote:
Jaz wrote:
Foreshadowing?
Alot of times I saw an enemy walk over his friend's corpse. Can anyone explain on how this body finding AI works?
Body finding A.I is not in the game. I have played this game a LOT and have never seen A.I run over to there team mates dead body, panic, and search for the culprit like they do in Lugaru.

iramiz

Post by iramiz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Make a clean install and during loading patchi highlands was error about missing Data\Textures\Plants\Trees\temperate\pine_needles_c.tga
After copypasting this from old installation everything was normal. May be there is other missing files.
Second. I was surprised by increased fps (I didn't update game for a while). Even Patchi highlands that had 0-5 fps now have 15-25 fps (other maps that I checked work very smooth). Relatively playable, actually. Hope this is not a limit. Or may be there is just need to restructure this map for better performance. I hope. Kinda feedback :) I mean, it would be good to have more or less even fps on all maps. Or something like that.

Raphnika

Post by Raphnika » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Theres a bug with the Arena mode. If you try to open the editor while victory/loss screen, the game crashes. Also I don't have a sky texture.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Raphnika wrote:Theres a bug with the Arena mode. If you try to open the editor while victory/loss screen, the game crashes. Also I don't have a sky texture.
Hmm, interesting, I don't get a crash when opening the editor with the score menus open.

Raphnika

Post by Raphnika » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm

akazi wrote:
Raphnika wrote:Theres a bug with the Arena mode. If you try to open the editor while victory/loss screen, the game crashes. Also I don't have a sky texture.
Hmm, interesting, I don't get a crash when opening the editor with the score menus open.
Well I tried it again and it happend again lol

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Raphnika wrote:
akazi wrote:
Well I tried it again and it happend again lol
I forgot to ask, what sky texture are you missing?