BOWS AND ARROWS!!!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Do you think Overgrowth will be better with Bows and arrows?

Yes, no doubt about it!
41%
Totally not!
14%
Not sure, depends how it's pulled off.
45%

Total votes: 139

chadster225

BOWS AND ARROWS!!!

Post by chadster225 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 am

Hello, Don't you think Overgrowth would be a billion times better with bows and arrows!? well I do and i'm sure there's also a lot of people that do so maybe if enough people want it, Wolfire will put it in the game! so post your thoughts and opinions below! And yes I do know that loads of games recently have them in but I think Overgrowth's version will best the others with the fluent fighting and slow motion, also it will add a great deal of stealth to the game, inviting the stealthy kind to buy the game!
Bow_and_Arrow_in-game.jpg

neviklink

Re: BOWS AND ARROWS!!!

Post by neviklink » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 am

just to let you know there is already a big thread and discussion about whole bow and arrows thing

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16461&hilit=bows#p174864

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:35 pm

The stealth this would add to the game is the stealth where you stay far away from enemies. That does not mesh well with the focus on melee fighting. Personally, I'd rather see stealth where you are moving near enemies, and a stealthy kill would be a knife to the back, or a thrown knife.

bigsou

Post by bigsou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't think bows would be fair unless shields are also added to the game. Both weapons mentioned fit the setting of the game I believe.

chadster225

Post by chadster225 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Sorry guys didn't know that there was already threads about it. But still the poll might get recognized if so many people vote yes and it might get implemented into the game.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Wolfire's devs have considered it but there have been a few threads discussing why it's a bad idea.

The main issue is that the game is based on challenging fighting. Bows would just make some battles as easy as sitting back and pulling the string back casually.
Try playing Skyrim using a bow. You'll find that a lot of battles are easy if you're skilled a bow or ranged magic. You can win some battles without the enemies even knowing where you are.

There's also an issue of enemies not being able to block. I don't think it would really fit the lore if the enemies had shields, and it would likely look stupid if a wolf was holding a large shield in it's paw. For that matter, it would look stupid if any of the creatures in the game were holding shields in their paws. Swords and staffs make sense as they can be held using paws or hand-paws. Shields on the other hand make no sense. You have to be able to grip the handle firmly and have full control over it. For that purpose, human hands are almost perfect, but even they still have a bunch of problems with gripping a shield.

Additionally, there's an issue of how bows would even be implemented. Should they be realistic with gravity affecting arrows? Should they be slow to draw? Should there be a low limit to the amount of arrows you can carry? And et cetera.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Jaz wrote:There's also an issue of enemies not being able to block. I don't think it would really fit the lore if the enemies had shields, and it would likely look stupid if a wolf was holding a large shield in it's paw. For that matter, it would look stupid if any of the creatures in the game were holding shields in their paws. Swords and staffs make sense as they can be held using paws or hand-paws. Shields on the other hand make no sense. You have to be able to grip the handle firmly and have full control over it. For that purpose, human hands are almost perfect, but even they still have a bunch of problems with gripping a shield.
I would've thought that shields are easier to grasp than a sword or a dagger.

chadster225

Post by chadster225 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:56 pm

I know bows would be unfair, but what if not blocking them you could dodge them (or A.I's)by a simple roll, or just right clicking whilst it's aproaching to move away.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

chadster225 wrote:I know bows would be unfair, but what if not blocking them you could dodge them (or A.I's)by a simple roll, or just right clicking whilst it's aproaching to move away.
Because this won't seem artificial at all...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:33 pm

EPR89 wrote:Because this won't seem artificial at all...
It wouldn't.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:37 pm

chadster225 wrote:I know bows would be unfair, but what if not blocking them you could dodge them (or A.I's)by a simple roll, or just right clicking whilst it's aproaching to move away.
A good bow and a strong arm can send arrows flying very quickly. I doubt you could dodge a well-aimed, strong shot.

chadster225

Post by chadster225 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

I do understand that it'l be over powered and ruin the point of hand to hand combat, but what I'm trying to say is that it'd be fun to be able to spawn it in a map and mess around with it and experiment, i mean you can't say it's a bad thing if it does get put in the game, you don't even have to use it. It would just be fun if they did. And if it isn't officially put into the game i'm sure someone will make a mod or something like that for it. But it'd open so many more choices and elements to the game that I can only see it in a positive way, I'm sorry if you disagree but I personally would like bows and arrows in the game.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:58 pm

It doesn't have to be overpowered. It's all a matter of balancing.
Arrows could break if they hit certain materials. There could be ways to block arrows (shields or bucklers). Arrows could be extremely rare. One miss and an archer is in serious trouble.

If it ever gets implemented it should be done properly, though. No artificial difficulty by making aiming jittery or stuff like that. Archery in the game should be fun and interesting. And it should be modelled after real archery. I'd really like Overgrowth to be featured one sites like Wired and be lauded for its accuracy in the portrayal of the sport. Like the Brave trailer (read the article. It's awesome. They explain every shot in detail, why it hit where it hit, how it was modelled and why it was modelled perfectly right for what the animators wanted. Really made me re-discover archery for myself).

An archer should look at it and go: "Damn! That is awesome. I'll use this as a reference for my technique," similar to how it is with the roundhouse kick right now.

DI0BL0

Post by DI0BL0 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Jaz wrote:Wolfire's devs have considered it but there have been a few threads discussing why it's a bad idea.

The main issue is that the game is based on challenging fighting. Bows would just make some battles as easy as sitting back and pulling the string back casually.
Try playing Skyrim using a bow. You'll find that a lot of battles are easy if you're skilled a bow or ranged magic. You can win some battles without the enemies even knowing where you are.

There's also an issue of enemies not being able to block. I don't think it would really fit the lore if the enemies had shields, and it would likely look stupid if a wolf was holding a large shield in it's paw. For that matter, it would look stupid if any of the creatures in the game were holding shields in their paws. Swords and staffs make sense as they can be held using paws or hand-paws. Shields on the other hand make no sense. You have to be able to grip the handle firmly and have full control over it. For that purpose, human hands are almost perfect, but even they still have a bunch of problems with gripping a shield.

Additionally, there's an issue of how bows would even be implemented. Should they be realistic with gravity affecting arrows? Should they be slow to draw? Should there be a low limit to the amount of arrows you can carry? And et cetera.
They have shields already in the game. They are a bit different but they are still in. Further more, shields make perfect sense because they are strapped to your forearm.