Overgrowth Linux problems and their solutions/workarounds

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
pumpernickel

Re: Overgrowth Linux problems and their solutions/workaround

Post by pumpernickel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:48 am

if someone posts a workaround
That has been done already
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25081&p=211911

tommydrum

Post by tommydrum » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 am

pumpernickel wrote:
if someone posts a workaround
That has been done already
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25081&p=211911
His method didn't work for me... And all I have is just a basic intel 3000 integrated crap... Of course on Ubuntu 14.04, but the command did not affect my errors at all. Well maybe Jeff will come in finally and fix one of the most common cards for the game :)

Gyrth

Post by Gyrth » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 am

I'm running Antergos (Arch based distribution). And using the AUR PKGBUILD to get OG installed(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/overgrowth/). The Nix installer has it's problems. The Steam version is 32bit, although I can just run that I wanted the 64bit version running. The maps that come with OG run great, I get around 600fps. But then I tried my own Airtemple map. Apart from freezing my whole system when loading it uses a huuuge amount of memory. And then when it finally loads it freezes a few seconds every time I rotate the camera, although the 86fps is nice in the beginning. I left all settings to default. The "GL_" are reserved problem I fixed thanks to chrisxy's fix.

Findings:
[+] Screenshots
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
This is where I exit OG. There is a giant drop in memory usage.
Screenshot3.png
Another thing that's been mentioned before is the file loader. You can't import Items/Objects/Etc with the little folder icon. No file browser appears. This makes modding OG on Linux impossible.

A little problem I found is the sun shines through objects at a large distance. Not a lot of maps have this problem, but still it a minor detail.
[+] Example
Screenshot5.png
Screenshot6.png
Can't make screenshots. And the background is black in stead of transparent.
[+] Screenshot
Screenshot7.png
Missing icons, or the directory is wrong.
[+] Screenshot
Screenshot8.png
Control + Left Click does not spawn a waypoint but an empty box.
[+] Screenshot
Screenshot9.png
With GPU skinning turned off, Turner turns into a pancake and other characters disappear.
[+] Screenshot
Screenshot10.png

jwagner

Post by jwagner » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks for all the hints in this forum.
Yesterday I've finally been able to test a level, but I had to do both:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/Overgrowth
and
LC_ALL=en_US ...

Seems like when started with language de_DE first, it creates invalid cache files, and then keeps crashing...

@David, maybe you want to set the environment LC_ALL=en_US (or C?) yourself.

Best,
- jens

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:09 am

Hey, I've looked around and couldn't find an answer to this. I imagine this is a linux-specific problem, as I've only had it happen on linux. Anyway, I'm running Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty, with fglrx and an R9 270, and my sky and cubemaps are all upside down! The ground is in the sky, and as a result all the lighting is really strange too. You can see it in these screenshot from my Chaderpack mod:

tetamusha

Post by tetamusha » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:32 pm

I've been trying to get Overgrowth to work with an XBox 360 controller on Ubuntu, but I'm having no success.

I've installed xboxdrv from the repositories as a replacement for xpad (the default driver for controllers on Ubuntu):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xboxdrv
sudo rmmod xpad
Then, I plug my Xbox 360 wired controller into my computer and start xboxdrv:

sudo xboxdrv --silent
The program recognizes my controller as /dev/input/js1 and /dev/input/event17 and even prints the output if I don't use '--silent', however, when I start the game, it doesn't seem to work.

Did anyone get this working? Are there any more steps I have to perform?

Edit: I know there is a gamecontrollersdb.txt file that should make many types of controllers to work out of the box. It has the names of each button in each controller model in it, but, since the Xbox 360 controller is in this file and it is not working in the game, I imagine it might be caused by two things, either the operating system or the names of the buttons in the textfile.

Also, the defaults.txt file under the data folder states explicitly that the key bindings for the Xbox controller are actually made for Windows.

// Only for Windows XBox controllers
So, the way I see it, there are two ways to configure the Xbox 360 controller in Overgrowth:
there is a more native support specifically for the Xbox controller, which is made through the game's GUI, altering the config.txt file (which is based on defaults.txt, which only works for Windows), and then there's gamecontrollers.db file which I have no idea if it actually works in order operating systems.

I'm gonna keep looking, but any help is welcome. Maybe we can update the wiki later in case we are successful in pulling this out.

Myster Moron

Post by Myster Moron » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:06 am

Running on Arch with primusrun (bumblebee) on a GTX850m, loading into the Arena mode gets me this after killing Overgrowth:

[f][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 342: Failed assert "dot_val > tet_planes[face][3]"
[f][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 342: Failed assert "dot_val > tet_planes[face][3]"                             
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 1002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 2002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 4002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 8002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 16002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 32002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 64002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 128002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 256002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 512002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 1024002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 2048002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 4096002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 8192002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 16384002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 32768002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 65536002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 131072002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 262144002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 524288002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
[w][__]:lightprobecollection.cpp: 759: Have made 1048576002 attempts on this tetraheadon, something might be wrong
^C^C[1]    17223 killed     primusrun ./Overgrowth.bin.x86
The entire error log can be found in this gist: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/c02cd ... fbc08537d9

Also, running without primusrun, on an Intel 4710HQ I got a shader compilation error which is probably due the OpenGL version supported by the IGP not being sufficient:

[i][__]:      error.cpp: 184: Displaying message: Error(s) in envobject.frag #DEPTH_ONLY #NO_INSTANCE_ID, 0:1266(1): error: #extension directive is not allowed in the middle of a shader

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Back after a long pause I decided to install b2_build-2883 (on Ubuntu 14.04).
However, when I try any level (campaign or arena so far) the character just constantly runs even when no input is done.

Does someone know how to stop this or which forum post I overlooked?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 am

pumpernickel wrote:Back after a long pause I decided to install b2_build-2883 (on Ubuntu 14.04).
However, when I try any level (campaign or arena so far) the character just constantly runs even when no input is done.

Does someone know how to stop this or which forum post I overlooked?
Have a controller plugged in and maybe mashed some direction? That'd be my guess.

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:18 am

The only thing plugged into my USB ports at the moment are a mouse and a keyboard, no controller/USB hub/Bluetooth dongle or whatever, behaviour is the same.

I also deleted ~/.local/share/Overgrowth before starting it for the first time to get rid of any old settings, I did that again after removing my unused USB peripherals.

EDIT:
Nvm I just solved it by plugging my mouse and keyboard into different (USB 2.0) ports, seems to be purely related to my hardware, either my mouse, keyboard or the ports obviously have an issue :lol:

SirWoo

Post by SirWoo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm

pumpernickel wrote: Nvm I just solved it by plugging my mouse and keyboard into different (USB 2.0) ports, seems to be purely related to my hardware, either my mouse, keyboard or the ports obviously have an issue :lol:
Make sure your drivers are all up to date if that seems to be one of the problems. Update the drivers for
- USB Ports (all of them, even if you have 2.0 and 3.0)
- Keyboard
- Mouse
preferably in that order, just to ensure that your USB ports are primed to use the mouse and keyboard properly, before you plug them into other ports.