Ranged weaponry suggestion?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
RYR

Ranged weaponry suggestion?

Post by RYR » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 am

Forgive me, i'm new here-

But having played the game for a tad now, I had an idea- now forgive me if it has been suggested before, or if it is not according to overgrowth lore or something like that,

But what if throwing your weapon was not the only means of ranged combat?
If it's not period accurate, I apologize, but what if there were to be (non-catchable, or very difficult to catch) ranged weapons like bows, chakrams, javelins, shuriken, black eggs (hollowed eggs full of ground glass- designed to blind an enemy at close range- i may have the name wrong), other such enemy disabling, or mechanic altering thrown weapons, crossbows, dart guns, smoke pellets, rocks, small reptiles, or even slings and bolas?

And maybe, if i may suggest, a kitten launcher?

Now, I know that you gentlemen are busier than... i dunno... manhattan hookers or something of that sort, and this would take potential novels of code, and the game is quite magnificent as it is, but I would appreciate being able to throw a spear straight.(Please don't hate me if that was rude...)

Again, gentlemen, Thank you for birthing such an excellent game!

AmorphousGamer

Re: Ranged weaponry suggestion?

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:28 am

The ranged weapon has been suggested so many times that the "AD BOWS PLZ KTHXBAI" is like the default "mocking a retard" sentence at this point.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 am

As you guessed, these suggestions have come up a lot. I like your way of thinking though - I personally think an array of thrown weapons could fit the game, while bows wouldn't. Long-range kills from so far the enemy can't do anything don't really fit this game. Short-range attacks from just beyond the enemy's hearing range sounds cool, though.

RYR

Post by RYR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Agreed- bows and bow like weapons in this game would be overkill- thus the mention of the weird stuff. Personally, if any of these made it in- id vote black egg- being able to stun or blind an opponent would be overly satisfying- especially if it put them into a flailing panic.

ShroomAnator

Post by ShroomAnator » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:29 am

Having been working at an archery shop for 4 years I can tell you the effective range for a recurve bow would be nothing much farther then 60 yards.

The game would have to add an entire new part to the physics engine to compensate for the bows.
Any little thing can throw off your shot and would make aiming in the game very difficult to get down in a consistent way.

There would be a huge leap to obtain a very realistic archery physics engine. Although i really do like this idea to be done, it might not fit into the game very well.

The shooter and their inability to be a statue. (small movements will throw off shots)
The bow and its flexing.
The arrows and their flexing.
The gravity pull on the arrows in flight.
The wind factor.
The overall distance to target.
The poundage of the bow and the weight of the arrows.
The fact that if you were to miss, the possibility of the arrow being broken. (say hits a rock instead of softer dirt)
The skipping off the ground if you were to miss.
The depth of the arrow wound and possible pass through.
Also must have the character models hold and actually shoot the bow properly. (not too hard to do)

Although i think i missed a few requirements that would be needed to create a very good physics engine, there are many aspects to archery that say, sword fighting wouldn't require.

RYR

Post by RYR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 am

I regret even mentioning bows...
Their sheer presence diverts away from the other stuff XD

Karel

Post by Karel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am

ShroomAnator wrote:Having been working at an archery shop for 4 years I can tell you the effective range for a recurve bow would be nothing much farther then 60 yards.

The game would have to add an entire new part to the physics engine to compensate for the bows.
Any little thing can throw off your shot and would make aiming in the game very difficult to get down in a consistent way.

There would be a huge leap to obtain a very realistic archery physics engine. Although i really do like this idea to be done, it might not fit into the game very well.

The shooter and their inability to be a statue. (small movements will throw off shots)
The bow and its flexing.
The arrows and their flexing.
The gravity pull on the arrows in flight.
The wind factor.
The overall distance to target.
The poundage of the bow and the weight of the arrows.
The fact that if you were to miss, the possibility of the arrow being broken. (say hits a rock instead of softer dirt)
The skipping off the ground if you were to miss.
The depth of the arrow wound and possible pass through.
Also must have the character models hold and actually shoot the bow properly. (not too hard to do)

Although i think i missed a few requirements that would be needed to create a very good physics engine, there are many aspects to archery that say, sword fighting wouldn't require.
Jesus christ this is a game about rabbits fighting, not Arma: middle age

ChampionKnifeFighter

Post by ChampionKnifeFighter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I would openly accept bows and firearms if it meant I could deflect the projectiles with a sword like a badass anime character lol

ChampionKnifeFighter

Post by ChampionKnifeFighter » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:23 am

AmorphousGamer wrote:The ranged weapon has been suggested so many times that the "AD BOWS PLZ KTHXBAI" is like the default "mocking a retard" sentence at this point.
Let's not be the Dark Souls community

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:51 am

ShroomAnator wrote:Although i think i missed a few requirements that would be needed to create a very good physics engine, there are many aspects to archery that say, sword fighting wouldn't require.
Other than the physics engine, there are also the influences based on training.
A trained archer does not whip his arm with the bow string completely missing the shot. A rookie will.
A trained archer can throw a substantial number of arrows before either swaying or starting to close his shoulder making the arrow follow the pulling arm. In either case it's most likely a miss.
A rookie can't.
A trained archer can shoot at targets which are 50 or superior meters away (54 yards), which is the distance we should be interested in (further than a spear).
A rookie can't.

I mean, for me it's more likely to see a peasant rabbit swinging up-to-down a big dog 2h sword to bash through a wolf skull, rather than seeing him take up a bow and starting showing off mad markzman skillz which require years to develop.

Spadkins

Post by Spadkins » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Black eggs, holy Deadliest Warrior flashback. That would make my year if black eggs were added, used mostly by rats and rabbits to resist dog guards and cat nobles. They'd just drop to the ground, writhing in pain, maybe bleeding at the face a little, and then get up like 10-15 seconds later, blinking furiously all the while. Ah.... It cracks me up how brutal this game is. First time I heard about it, a friend tried to describe it to me and I got a distorted, cartoonish image of Super Smash Bros with fat, balloon-like animals punching each other across the screen.

Then my first look at the actual game that same friend was slitting the throat of another rabbit and then break another one's neck with a roundhouse kick. :shock:

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:23 pm

All of these complaints about Bow and Arrow being Overpowered, and yet no one mentions the F-Laser.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Peruraptor wrote:All of these complaints about Bow and Arrow being Overpowered, and yet no one mentions the F-Laser.
How about a Bow and F-Laser? It's a bow that shoots F-Lasers.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Timbles wrote:
Peruraptor wrote:All of these complaints about Bow and Arrow being Overpowered, and yet no one mentions the F-Laser.
How about a Bow and F-Laser? It's a bow that shoots F-Lasers.
Or a machine gun that Shot F-Lasers full automatic.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Pretty sure the F-lazer is just a tool that Wolfire has given us just to dick around with in the Alpha.