Weapon variety

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
akazi

Weapon variety

Post by akazi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm

So I've had this idea for a long time, and I though it was about time to share a bit.
Why not have weapon variety work like this, why not have a rabbit, cat, and rat version of the dog broad sword, knife, glaive, sword, spear, and hammer? I think this would bring a nice variety of weapons to the game and make it interesting.

Not sure if all wolfs in the OG universe will refuse to use weapons or not, might add the wolf version of all those if they don't all refuse. In all that is 5 different variety's of weapons we have. I think that is a good amount. What say you?
Almost forgot about the rabbit catcher, it would be cool if each species had their own unique special weapon. So dogs would have the rabbit catcher, and the rest would have something that would fit only their species.

AmorphousGamer

Re: Weapon variety

Post by AmorphousGamer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 am

Didn't it say something in the comic about this? Rabbits don't make swords? Rabbits just don't seem like the run around with a big-ass sword type of person anyway. Maybe if they need to use it they would, but then they'd drop it in favor of something lighter and faster.

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 pm

God damnit, forgot about that. Idea gone, let this topic die. :cry:

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm

No akazi. Don't let anything die. Apart from those DAMN wolves. And other things that are universally disliked. But not threads.

To do with the topic, I think there should be more weapon variety in Gladiator like Spear vs. Sword, Knife vs. Hammer, etc.

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 am

Yeah. And there could be specific match-ups, like in fights in the Colesseum. Also, I think it would be cool if Wolves could equip metal claws or something of the like, to make it even easier to kill stuff. It would also be effective if there is eventually an enemy that doesn't get killed in one hit by a wolf by default, IMO.

DaynjaDog

Post by DaynjaDog » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Tilas300 wrote:Yeah. And there could be specific match-ups, like in fights in the Colesseum. Also, I think it would be cool if Wolves could equip metal claws or something of the like, to make it even easier to kill stuff. It would also be effective if there is eventually an enemy that doesn't get killed in one hit by a wolf by default, IMO.
Great idea.

v1zRaven

Post by v1zRaven » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 pm

It would also be effective if there is eventually an enemy that doesn't get killed in one hit by a wolf by default
Or just an animal wearing good armor (Iron, Steel, etc.)

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 pm

v1zRaven wrote:
It would also be effective if there is eventually an enemy that doesn't get killed in one hit by a wolf by default
Or just an animal wearing good armor (Iron, Steel, etc.)
Or that. Totally forgot about armor!

drako125

Post by drako125 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm

akazi wrote:So I've had this idea for a long time, and I though it was about time to share a bit.
Why not have weapon variety work like this, why not have a rabbit, cat, and rat version of the dog broad sword, knife, glaive, sword, spear, and hammer? I think this would bring a nice variety of weapons to the game and make it interesting.

Not sure if all wolfs in the OG universe will refuse to use weapons or not, might add the wolf version of all those if they don't all refuse. In all that is 5 different variety's of weapons we have. I think that is a good amount. What say you?
Almost forgot about the rabbit catcher, it would be cool if each species had their own unique special weapon. So dogs would have the rabbit catcher, and the rest would have something that would fit only their species.
Rabbits would probably have a large variety of knifes: The sword breaker dagger (a dagger with a large notched edge made to block and break larger blades) An on purpose rusted knife, now think about this, rusted metal can break easily right? why not carry some(2 or 3) intentionally rusted knives to break in the opponent, causing internal bleeding and making it extremely difficult to remove, Bet no one thought of that ever :mrgreen: . And maybe some other type of special knives? and on the sword thing, maybe short swords? like basically slightly larger knives :P

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm

drako125 wrote:
akazi wrote:So I've had this idea for a long time, and I though it was about time to share a bit.

Rabbits would probably have a large variety of knifes: The sword breaker dagger (a dagger with a large notched edge made to block and break larger blades) An on purpose rusted knife, now think about this, rusted metal can break easily right? why not carry some(2 or 3) intentionally rusted knives to break in the opponent, causing internal bleeding and making it extremely difficult to remove, Bet no one thought of that ever :mrgreen: . And maybe some other type of special knives? and on the sword thing, maybe short swords? like basically slightly larger knives :P
Seems like it would be inefficient to create a normal, strong knife then rust it to make it weak. Wouldn't it be better just to make the knife weak in the first place? Like, give the blade a thin base? And what would really be the point, short term, of making a knife to break inside your enemy? I mean, afterwards, you're in close range of someone whose sole goal in life is to kill you, and you're now without a weapon. The only time breaking a weapon inside the enemy would be beneficial is if they kill you, they are more likely to die. But what's the point if you're already dead? And in making sure they die after you're dead, you're actually making it more likely that you'll die in this fight. So, I guess for someone who just wants to commit suicide, that idea would be great. But it seems most people like to make it out of their fights alive.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 am

Obsidian or glass knives would work better than a rusted knife. Glass and (volcanic or otherwise) is hard, can hold an extremely sharp edge and breaks very easily. I've seen glass swords before in Ultima VII., where they were one-use items that dealt massive damage.

That said, realistically speaking I wouldn't want to use a weapon that's designed to break. The problem with that is that you can't block with that knife without breaking your weapon and possible getting a piece fly your way and harm you, and the same thing happens if the enemy blocks the strike, the weapon could break if you throw it and miss, and the weapon will break if the enemy is wearing any armor. That's pretty much true for the rusted knife as well.