Grizzly Idea for a boss fight

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chainsaw man

Grizzly Idea for a boss fight

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am

Its been a while, so hello folks, good to be back here again...
Ill get strait into the idea. Get enough enthusiasm, and I will draw up a picture of the boss for viewing pleasure...

I reckon, there should be towards the end of the Gladiator bouts there should be a monster pitted to the Player, so unexpected, so bizarre, and so out of place (yet making sense to the actual world) after fighting standard bouts of combat this thing terrorfys the player to the extent of leaving a brown patch in the middle of his seat.

I be thinking, something that Dwarfs a wolf, has a serious case of Health problems apparent by the fact that its organs are slightly exposed as wounds from its capture for combat bouts. I am thinking something along the lines of a Diseased grizzly bear. Its massive arms removed for the safety of the beast handlers, are replaced with some kind of 'dog'matic engineering that allow it to honorific and gruesomely rip you to shreds. These Sadistic apparatuses each give this horrific beast the ability to articulate your demise with utmost efficiency. Hack, slash, gouge, gore and f*ck.

With what you know now, do you think you have it in you to face such horrors?

Game Structurally the Creature works like this:

The Beast (its two legs, its abdomen and its head) must be attacked Directly to deal harmful damage. However, this is easier said than done. It will use its claws on its feet to gore the player, swiftly digging holes in Gladiators Chest cavity where his lungs now use to be, or shaking the life right out of the player with one half of him inside his mouth, franticly trying to stab the beast with a dagger conveniently in the hands of the victim, only to drown himself in blood now gushing out of the undying beasts already over scared oral cavity.

The Beasts Prosthetic arms would behave like "guardian" nodes, or NPCs that defend the beast and attack the player, but they are all part of the same mesh. The "Arms" attack like normal rabbits with swords, but they cannot be "killed", however they can be "disarmed" and cannot "pick-up" there lost equipment, but they can switch out one of 3 weapons between attacks. The Player must disarm all the limbs of each weapon the limb houses for the limbs to stop attacking the player, yes, the limbs are also launching there own attacks at the player. Both of the Limbs must be "knocked down" to safely begging fighting this horrible bear that was pitted against you. Remember the biological squishy thing that was trying to eat your face?

If you were the audience what would be your comments?

EPR89

Re: Grizzly Idea for a boss fight

Post by EPR89 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 am

"WTF!?"
I guess that would be my comment.

Vespabros

Post by Vespabros » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:30 am

Could this be whaleman's chance in the spotlight?

On a more serious note, gladiator mode is more of a tool for testing out combat mechanics than it is an actual "game mode." So i wouldn't really expect anything of the sorts until it starts becoming a game with objectives; albeit it would be pretty cool.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:56 pm

EPR89 wrote:"WTF!?"
I second this. I would then go on to question where the fuck a group of rabbits or other small somewhat civilized creatures of the Overgrowth universe would go about finding such a beast. I would also wonder how they would go about catching it, being so small compared to it.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
EPR89 wrote:"WTF!?"
I second this. I would then go on to question where the fuck a group of rabbits or other small somewhat civilized creatures of the Overgrowth universe would go about finding such a beast. I would also wonder how they would go about catching it, being so small compared to it.
Easy! You catch it off guard and work as a team to take him down.
Vespabros wrote:On a more serious note, gladiator mode is more of a tool for testing out combat mechanics than it is an actual "game mode." So i wouldn't really expect anything of the sorts until it starts becoming a game with objectives; albeit it would be pretty cool.
Granted, but it would be a waste if the work gone into the Gladiator did not show up at all in the final release.

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 pm

10/10. Best idea ever...FOR THE GOOOOORE!!! :twisted:

hilleltaco

Post by hilleltaco » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am

Bosses might be a bit weird in Overgrowth, but it's a cool idea, so who cares.

Doloflex

Post by Doloflex » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

:shock:
Attachments
youre_a_fucking_genius_I_dont_care-s615x461-139738-580.jpg

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:15 pm

question for you, are you going to model the boss and rig it then test it and get to work in game?

i also should let you know that the wolf is the largest skeleton in game and custom skeletons have never been successfully been add to the game, so you cant get a custom character bigger then the wolf.

then i do not think that there is a way to only take damage from hitting select places on the body like just the head or left arm, the game is not made that way.

lastly you are also going to have to edit the arena script to put the boss in at the times you want and not with other ai so that means a lot of scripting.

just wanted to let you know all the work that is involved with your idea.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:41 pm

samjb1992 wrote:To make this, it would take lawtz o' work.
I don't think he was planning to make this a mod. It was just an idea. Him tossing out his thoughts.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:55 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
samjb1992 wrote:To make this, it would take lawtz o' work.
I don't think he was planning to make this a mod. It was just an idea. Him tossing out his thoughts.
i understand that, i was just trying to give him an idea of how much work would go into something like that so that he knows how highly unlikely it is that this will ever become part of the game.

maybe in the future this could happen but i think the developers have many other more important things they will work on first so that the game stays on its time line and not worry about some stupid thing like boss battles.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:38 am

samjb1992 wrote:question for you, are you going to model the boss and rig it then test it and get to work in game?

i also should let you know that the wolf is the largest skeleton in game and custom skeletons have never been successfully been add to the game, so you cant get a custom character bigger then the wolf.

then i do not think that there is a way to only take damage from hitting select places on the body like just the head or left arm, the game is not made that way.

lastly you are also going to have to edit the arena script to put the boss in at the times you want and not with other ai so that means a lot of scripting.

just wanted to let you know all the work that is involved with your idea.
If Wolfire used this idea, obviously, they would have access to their own editing tools and would be able to use a skeleton of any size they wish. So I don't really see how that's an issue since this is an idea for Wolfire, not an idea for a mod, as far as I understand from reading the OP.

There does seem to be some kind of locational damage script in place as attacks usually create wounds roundabouts where they actually hit. Not sure how developed it is but if the code's not too organised, I'm sure they could develop it later to allow damage as well as visual feedback. This would be difficult, yes, but they might be doing it at same point anyway.

Assuming they've got some kind of count for each round, they could just have the boss appear after a certain number of rounds. Not that difficult. It's likely less than 4 or 5 lines of code for that particular part of the script. Really not difficult.

The only really difficult part here would be modelling/animating the boss and actually getting the event scripts setup. So it's still not that likely but heh, it's possible. 8)

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Jaz wrote: If Wolfire used this idea, obviously, they would have access to their own editing tools and would be able to use a skeleton of any size they wish. So I don't really see how that's an issue since this is an idea for Wolfire, not an idea for a mod, as far as I understand from reading the OP.

There does seem to be some kind of locational damage script in place as attacks usually create wounds roundabouts where they actually hit. Not sure how developed it is but if the code's not too organised, I'm sure they could develop it later to allow damage as well as visual feedback. This would be difficult, yes, but they might be doing it at same point anyway.

Assuming they've got some kind of count for each round, they could just have the boss appear after a certain number of rounds. Not that difficult. It's likely less than 4 or 5 lines of code for that particular part of the script. Really not difficult.

The only really difficult part here would be modelling/animating the boss and actually getting the event scripts setup. So it's still not that likely but heh, it's possible. 8)
again i was letting him know how much work would be involved if he tried to do it not wolfire. i know that all my points are null and void if wolfire was the one making this a reality instead of a player.

drako125

Post by drako125 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:02 pm

My reaction would be 0_0. WOOOOH!! KILL HIM DEAD ROBO DEMON BEAR!!!

Doloflex

Post by Doloflex » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:01 am

I think Wolfire has thought about this.I was looking on the overgrowth facebook page when I found this.

I don't see why he can't bite his way out, but still cool.
Attachments
A wolf forced to fight.
A wolf forced to fight.