Destroyed framerate.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
theian01

Destroyed framerate.

Post by theian01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Welp. Within about two hours of owning this game, I had destroyed my framerate. I downloaded SUMLauncher, and played with some of the resolution and graphic settings and such, and now I can barely run the game. It was running totally fine before. I tried reverting the settings back, and even redownloading the game, but to no luck. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to what it was?

Running on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.8.4

UPDATE: I tried running the game at a much lower quality through SUMLauncher, and still had a very low framerate. Jumping and climbing is okay, but combat is impossible.

I tried to reinstall SUMLauncher, but that has done nothing also.

On the main menu, the game does say it's "loading custom content..." but I have not tried to download any mods/levels. To my knowledge, that wasn't there before.

Surak

Re: Destroyed framerate.

Post by Surak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:53 am

You said that you reinstalled the game, but did you also try to delete the config? I don't think it will get autodeleted if you remove the game. You can find it here:
HD/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/Data/config.txt
where ~ is your username.

Vespabros

Post by Vespabros » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:37 am

Did you try shutting off the "enable GPU skinning" in SUMlauncher? I had some framerate problems in overgrowth and that helped.

theian01

Post by theian01 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I have tried both of your suggestions, first the config file, then the GPU skinning, then both at the same time.

They didn't work.

I'd like to emphasize that the game ran fine before the launcher, fine after the launcher, but bad when I played with the resolution for full screen. I have reset the perimeters that I had changed, but it still ran bad. Whatever I did, I tried to undo, but to no avail.

Is there some weird fix I could try?

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Maybe clearing your cache will do something.

theian01

Post by theian01 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 am

akazi wrote:Maybe clearing your cache will do something.
For the game? How would I do that?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am

theian01 wrote:
akazi wrote:Maybe clearing your cache will do something.
For the game? How would I do that?
In the SUMLauncher, click File -> Delete Local Files. Then select 'Overgrowth Cache Files' and 'Overgrowth Config File'.

theian01

Post by theian01 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:19 am

In the SUMLauncher, click File -> Delete Local Files. Then select 'Overgrowth Cache Files' and 'Overgrowth Config File'.
Well, it helped a little. I still start out with 5 fps.

UPDATE EDIT: I don't know what I did exactly, but my frames have returned! I turned off Pre-Baked Shadows, and GPU Skinning and it worked! I turned the shadows back on, and it worked even still!

So whatever happened in the background or whatever, my frames have returned.

zking2112

Post by zking2112 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm

I also get estroyed framerate, I have an Nvidia 660m 2GB card, but the game only detects the backup intel 4000 for some reason.

theian01

Post by theian01 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:07 pm

zking2112 wrote:I also get estroyed framerate, I have an Nvidia 660m 2GB card, but the game only detects the backup intel 4000 for some reason.
Try the GPU Skinning, and the Prebaked shadows, like I did. Also, I can turn on the Prebaked shadows now, and it runs fine, but I guess it was the combo.