hostage situations

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
augiebros

hostage situations

Post by augiebros » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 pm

it would be cool if you could take a hostage from a group of bunnies and they wouldn't attack you as long as you kept the hostage between yourself and your enemies. just thought it would be useful if you were fighting a large group.

AmorphousGamer

Re: hostage situations

Post by AmorphousGamer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm pretty sure hostage situations don't really work unless you're using a ranged weapon. With a sword, it's as simple as walking up to the people and stabbing over, under, or around the hostage. It isn't as risky as, say, shooting at a hostage.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:I'm pretty sure hostage situations don't really work unless you're using a ranged weapon. With a sword, it's as simple as walking up to the people and stabbing over, under, or around the hostage. It isn't as risky as, say, shooting at a hostage.
... it doesn't really work like that. You have to do what the hostage-taker says, and if he says "stay away" you can't walk up to him. If you try, well, the hostage suffers. Since you can't get close, a sword is completely useless as long as the other guy has a hostage you care about.

Also, a hostage stops a sword better than the hostage stops a bullet. So having a meat shield also works better against swords than against guns. Having a gun and taking a hostage would work better than having a sword and taking a hostage, I guess.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Well, okay. I was thinking more a situation in which the person with the hostage would be unarmed. But no, he could very easily have a knife in his hand and pressed against the hostage's throat. I was just thinking in the CURRENT game, all fights against large groups will usually be done with everyone very close to each other, so such a hostage situation wouldn't be possible.
However, in a long map or challenge a hostage situation would be very possible and pretty interesting. Excuse me for my rushed and thoughtless response.

ChampionKnifeFighter

Post by ChampionKnifeFighter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 am

Endoperez wrote:
AmorphousGamer wrote:I'm pretty sure hostage situations don't really work unless you're using a ranged weapon. With a sword, it's as simple as walking up to the people and stabbing over, under, or around the hostage. It isn't as risky as, say, shooting at a hostage.
... it doesn't really work like that. You have to do what the hostage-taker says, and if he says "stay away" you can't walk up to him. If you try, well, the hostage suffers. Since you can't get close, a sword is completely useless as long as the other guy has a hostage you care about.

Also, a hostage stops a sword better than the hostage stops a bullet. So having a meat shield also works better against swords than against guns. Having a gun and taking a hostage would work better than having a sword and taking a hostage, I guess.
I'm pretty sure you guys misinterpreted what he is trying to say.

What I believe augiebros is trying to say is
Let's say a party of 5 enemies is chasing you. You manage to snag an adversary from the opposing party with a weapon at their throat. the four enemies see their ally in your grasp, they then don't immedietly attack, but hover cautiously, not wanting to aggravate you and slit his throat.

You take them hostage, not other way around.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 am

That's exactly what I meant, too. I used the "you" as a passive. Should I have used "one"? So ->

"One has to do what the hostage-taker says, and if he says "stay away" one can't... " and so on?

drako125

Post by drako125 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:58 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:Well, okay. I was thinking more a situation in which the person with the hostage would be unarmed. But no, he could very easily have a knife in his hand and pressed against the hostage's throat. I was just thinking in the CURRENT game, all fights against large groups will usually be done with everyone very close to each other, so such a hostage situation wouldn't be possible.
However, in a long map or challenge a hostage situation would be very possible and pretty interesting. Excuse me for my rushed and thoughtless response.
I actually tried that with a group of enemies (the knife thing) they just started punching me threw him :?

augiebros

Post by augiebros » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 pm

ChampionKnifeFighter wrote:
Endoperez wrote:

I'm pretty sure you guys misinterpreted what he is trying to say.

What I believe augiebros is trying to say is
Let's say a party of 5 enemies is chasing you. You manage to snag an adversary from the opposing party with a weapon at their throat. the four enemies see their ally in your grasp, they then don't immedietly attack, but hover cautiously, not wanting to aggravate you and slit his throat.

You take them hostage, not other way around.
this is exactly what i was trying to say. thank you. i just thought that if you accidentally became swarmed by enemies there is still hope to make it out alive.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:23 pm

augiebros wrote:this is exactly what i was trying to say. thank you. i just thought that if you accidentally became swarmed by enemies there is still hope to make it out alive.
In that particular situation, I don't think you're making it out alive. If you're already swarmed, nobody's going to stop swarming you just because you've now got someone in your hands. They're going to stab you. Multiple times. In the face.

augiebros

Post by augiebros » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:54 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
augiebros wrote:this is exactly what i was trying to say. thank you. i just thought that if you accidentally became swarmed by enemies there is still hope to make it out alive.
In that particular situation, I don't think you're making it out alive. If you're already swarmed, nobody's going to stop swarming you just because you've now got someone in your hands. They're going to stab you. Multiple times. In the face.
But that means that their good friend that they have worked with for many years would die before they can kill me.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 pm

augiebros wrote:
AmorphousGamer wrote:
But that means that their good friend that they have worked with for many years would die before they can kill me.
Uh, no. If you're swarmed, you might be able to grab a person and flip them around. But at that point you're already filled with metal.

Kyrexar

Post by Kyrexar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

But imagine this situation:

You are about to enter the enemy base where there are 5 hostiles, they haven't noticed you already. You know you can't enter combat like nothing as they would swarm you, but you could enter from the shadows taking one of them with a knife on the throat. They are shocked, they weren't ready for you and you threatening one of their co-workers and maybe friends. They are not going to attack you, you're in control. You have a hostage.

And there're a lot of situations like these that could take place in the game, hostages could be an interesting mechanic.

BTW, when I read the title I thought about Counter Strike, entering with Turner on a building, beating the terrorists and taking the hostages to the safe place :lol:

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 am

Kyrexar wrote:But imagine this situation:

You are about to enter the enemy base where there are 5 hostiles, they haven't noticed you already. You know you can't enter combat like nothing as they would swarm you, but you could enter from the shadows taking one of them with a knife on the throat. They are shocked, they weren't ready for you and you threatening one of their co-workers and maybe friends. They are not going to attack you, you're in control. You have a hostage.

And there're a lot of situations like these that could take place in the game, hostages could be an interesting mechanic.

BTW, when I read the title I thought about Counter Strike, entering with Turner on a building, beating the terrorists and taking the hostages to the safe place :lol:
Well, yes. I've already acknowledged that in that situation, taking a hostage would be a viable tactic.
But the way augibros worded it, which is what I'm addressing here, is this. "this is exactly what i was trying to say. thank you. i just thought that if you accidentally became swarmed by enemies there is still hope to make it out alive."
That means, more this sort of situation.
You walk into a room, and are confronted by four armed guards. You run up to one of them and grab him, and the other three back off.
In that situation, it would go more like this.
You walk into a room, and are confronted by four armed guards. You run up to them, and are now full of metal.

charliestoneburgh

Post by charliestoneburgh » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 am

Sounds cool!

ChampionKnifeFighter

Post by ChampionKnifeFighter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:35 pm

You walk into a room, and are confronted by four armed guards. You run up to them, and are now full of metal.
I mean if you have problems dealing with four armed guards, I feel bad for you because I have 99 problems with the game but getting filled with metal isn't one of them ;)

I have actually been able to snag a person in a alerted group into the sleeper hold. Shame his buddys don't really back off, even if I do end up killing the person I have hostage.