they need to put over growth on next gen console

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
notsowildkyle

they need to put over growth on next gen console

Post by notsowildkyle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 pm

i think they should put this on ps4 i would love it on there when it is finshed of course and set up a multiplayer online kinda free roam and arena mode online co op local this is just an idea from a noob
thank you for reading

ps. im new so if this is posted in the wrong area can some one help with that

alpineodin

Re: they need to put over growth on next gen console

Post by alpineodin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:34 pm

it would be sweet to see it on console, and the controls already fit into a controller, im getting a ps4 for sure, but xbox has made it pretty clear their Pro indie, so maybe in the future after the Pc/mac/linux release, maybe a console port. if they wanted to.

Vespabros

Post by Vespabros » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:26 pm

This is getting little ahead of ourselves. It's gonna take a while for this game to be successful enough (or even be completed, for that matter) to push the devs to put it on a console. I mean, hell, look how long it took for minecraft to do that.

notsowildkyle

Post by notsowildkyle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:43 am

im just saiyan after the release of windows/mac/linux version take their time and maybe put it on next gen xbox minecraft isnt very good but this would be good, i believe it will sell and be popular cuz its a great game and other people will see it for the good game it is

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm

The engine is built to work on computers. Unless next-gen consoles are built to be exactly like PCs, making Overgrowth work on the console is going to be extremely difficult. As in, they have to redo many parts from scratch, which could take a few years. In short, no, it's not going to happen.

Also, making OG worth on the next-gen console won't magically make it prettier. It would look exactly the same, except it'd be displayed on a TV, and you'd control the characters with a controller, not mouse+keyboard. Buy some x-box controllers and a PC-to-TV signal converter, and there's your next-gen OG experience.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 am

Endoperez wrote:The engine is built to work on computers. Unless next-gen consoles are built to be exactly like PCs, making Overgrowth work on the console is going to be extremely difficult. As in, they have to redo many parts from scratch, which could take a few years. In short, no, it's not going to happen.
The next-gen consoles are actually built like PCs. They're x86 and they're apparently designed for easy porting.(even between each other as AMD designed both APUs)

And it wouldn't take years. It would probably take a few months. I highly doubt that it's that difficult to rewrite code to work on different hardware. (If it is, my plan is doomed) :?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am

Jaz wrote:The next-gen consoles are actually built like PCs. They're x86 and they're apparently designed for easy porting.(even between each other as AMD designed both APUs)

And it wouldn't take years. It would probably take a few months. I highly doubt that it's that difficult to rewrite code to work on different hardware. (If it is, my plan is doomed) :?
The hardware is one thing, but do the console(s) use the same libraries?

Awesomium. OpenGL, the audio libraries (OpenAL?), whatever they're using for the controllers...

Without Awesomium, they have to rewrite much of the UI.
Without OpenGL, they might have to rewrite all the shaders in addition to the graphics code, and the shaders handle the animation transformations.

I have no idea how long it would take. Probably not years - I was thinking of how long the Linux port of Overgrowth took, but the guy doing that was working on several projects at once. Any way, while trying to find out more details about OG's linux port, I found this old blog post about porting the indie-PC game Aquaria to PSP.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/06/Aquaria-on-the-PSP

That's less than a month after the source code was released... So yeah, not years.

drako125

Post by drako125 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:42 pm

notsowildkyle wrote:im just saiyan after the release of windows/mac/linux version take their time and maybe put it on next gen xbox minecraft isnt very good but this would be good, i believe it will sell and be popular cuz its a great game and other people will see it for the good game it is
I'm just "saiyan"? Why the hell did you even MENTION minecraft?! Minecraft has nothing to do with a violent animal fighting game.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:52 pm

drako125 wrote:
notsowildkyle wrote:im just saiyan after the release of windows/mac/linux version take their time and maybe put it on next gen xbox minecraft isnt very good but this would be good, i believe it will sell and be popular cuz its a great game and other people will see it for the good game it is
I'm just "saiyan"? Why the hell did you even MENTION minecraft?! Minecraft has nothing to do with a violent animal fighting game.
Leave him alone, he can be a saiyan if he wants, don't destroy his dreams. Also, I think he related Minecraft and Overgrowth because both are indie games.

notsowildkyle

Post by notsowildkyle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 pm

fisrt im just sayian its related cuz its inde and was ported to xbox from pc alot like what i wanted from over growth but over growth wont be a bad game

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:53 pm

notsowildkyle wrote:fisrt im just sayian its related cuz its inde and was ported to xbox from pc alot like what i wanted from over growth but over growth wont be a bad game
I know what you are saying.

Vespabros

Post by Vespabros » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:29 pm

notsowildkyle wrote:fisrt im just sayian its related cuz its inde and was ported to xbox from pc alot like what i wanted from over growth but over growth wont be a bad game
Dat grammar..

DeanDead

Post by DeanDead » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 am

Damn just asked them my self sorry did not see this :P

FuKuy

Post by FuKuy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 am

Jaz wrote:And it wouldn't take years. It would probably take a few months.

I would prefer devs use these 'few months' to improve and finish the game on PC. Not interested on see the game on any console...

MadCatMax

Post by MadCatMax » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Their is no need for game like this to go on the console.