Overgrowth Role Play?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
elbomo

Overgrowth Role Play?

Post by elbomo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I saw that there were a couple of role playing threads a few years back. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing one. I just thought that it would be kind of interesting. I've never role played as an anthropomorphic rat before. Hm... If enough people are interested, I'll post a character sheet. I can't seem to find much on lore, though, so if someone could fill me in a little on that, that would be great.

AmorphousGamer

Re: Overgrowth Role Play?

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 am

Could be interesting. If you're interested in lore, this comic is really all I've got for ya.

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks. I'll look into it.

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm bored and have nothing to do, so I'm going to go ahead and post my character sheet.

Name: Skrunge
Species: Rat
Appearance: Dull tan with copper-colored flecks. 1/3 of his tail is gone, and his ears are torn. He is moderately scarred and has large, chipped, yellow teeth.
Build: He has a fairly weak build. He is small and hunched over a considerable amount.
Personality: Skrunge is sneaky, clever, deceptive, cowardly, nervous, and fidgety... But if he becomes friends with someone, he is fairly trustworthy.
Clothes/Armor: He wears a pale green, dirty, old tunic. He also wears yellowish-brown, worn pantaloons, along with studded leather shoulder pads, lined with dirty fur trim, and a leather cap. Skrunge's waist is wrapped with wide, soft, leather strap. He wears a massive pack on his back, filled with tons of "treasures".
Primary Weapons: Two short, jagged swords with bone handles.
Secondary Weapons: A few daggers, throwing knives, and a hatchet.
History: Skrunge was born to a pair of poor, sick rats. He wasn't treated badly by his parents, but they hardly loved him. They used him to steal food and clothing, because of his small size. Skrunge's mother died of pneumonia, causing his father to fall into depression. Skrunge's father refused to eat or drink. He hardly moved. Skrunge ran away from home--the streets, that is--at the age of 9. He joined a crew of sailors. He originally though they were honest workers, but they turned out to be pirates. Skrunge was the captain's go-to double-crosser. After many years, Skrunge became a merchant--not an honest one...
Notes: I found a video of how I imagine the cap to look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eRBtOSsXDQ (obviously, you can just skip to the end to see it...)
Last edited by elbomo on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:08 am

Screw it, I'll join in.
Name:Gus (I'm extremely bad with names for fictional characters, so the poor guy ended up with the first name that came up in a google search for male dog names :P)
Species:Dog
Appearance: Dark, thick, short fur. Pointed ears, like a wolf. Large, blue eyes.
Build:He has a large build. Strong and muscular, with massive arms coming from tons of training with swords.
Personality: He is brave and honest. Not overly smart. Extremely loyal.
Clothes/Armor: Imagine heavy armor. I am terrible at describing things, but basically plate armor. You guys can imagine that, right? :P
Primary Weapons: Huge broadsword. Gus knows nothing of finesse. He needs only the extreme power this huge weapon gives him. If any silly rabbits try to dance around him with their tiny little knives, he will just chop them in half.
Secondary Weapons: Gus travels without any other weapons. He relies entirely on his broadsword.
History: He was born in a city. His father had died in battle. His mother still lives in the city (and in the home) where he was born. He taught himself to fight, raised the money for his equipment, and roamed the country to make money fighting for whoever paid him. Being a mercenary was somewhat against his nature, but he was a fighter and he didn't know what else to do.

Meh, I'm a terrible storyteller and I don't know much of the time this game is (probably) set in. So there's my best effort. :P

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:53 am

Okay, one or two more people and we can start. I'm not good at names, either. There was a rat in one of the Redwall books named Scringe, and I just changed two letters.

nebd

Post by nebd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 am

I'm not sure how you're gonna do this, could you explain it to me?
I'd love to participate though. :P

last

Post by last » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:11 pm

elbomo wrote:Okay, one or two more people and we can start. I'm not good at names, either. There was a rat in one of the Redwall books named Scringe, and I just changed two letters.
It would be good idea to edit your original post and change your name in there also.
There is edit button for your own posts here -------------------------------------↑

nebd

Post by nebd » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm

last wrote:
elbomo wrote:Okay, one or two more people and we can start. I'm not good at names, either. There was a rat in one of the Redwall books named Scringe, and I just changed two letters.
It would be good idea to edit your original post and change your name in there also.
There is edit button for your own posts here -------------------------------------↑
Why would he wanna change his name??

I think you misunderstood his post, or maybe I'm just stupid. :P

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:58 pm

nebd wrote:I'm not sure how you're gonna do this, could you explain it to me?
I'd love to participate though. :P
Well, toss out a character then. :P
Here's the "template" for easy copypasta.
Name:
Species:
Build:
Personality:
Clothes/Armor:
Primary Weapons:
Secondary Weapons:
History:
Notes:

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:53 pm

last wrote:
AmorphousGamer had said they weren't good at coming up with fantasy names, and that they just used the first result on male dog names. I was just saying how I came up with my character's name.

This may be helpful, nebd.
http://forumroleplay.com/roleplay-guides/
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/starter- ... t7245.html
The tips in these are just that: Tips. They are not law, so feel free to ignore a few. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer as best I can.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm actually quite excited for this. Let's get this roleplaying started. :P

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:26 pm

(I'll go ahead and start. Hopefully more people will join later on.)

"Three silver for this?!" said the customer, holding up the copper charm.
Skrunge rolled his eyes. "That, my friend, came from the neck of the remains of a hundred-year-old cat lord," he said. He had actually bought it from a poor rabbit earlier that day... For only seven copper coins.
"Fine," said the customer, tossing three silver pieces at Skrunge, who greedily shoved them into the pouch at his waist. He then decided to treat himself to a drink, and began walking toward the tavern.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Oh my god I went to begin writing and remembered how terrible of a storyteller I am. My mind just went blank. :P Also, I'm going to start writing OOC comments in green, to avoid any confusion.

Gus woke, and for a moment he had no idea where he was. He realized he was in a bed, in the upstairs of an inn. He got out of bed and went downstairs for breakfast.
He finished his meal, and got his belongings from his room. While gathering his stuff, he checked his purse. He only had a handful of gold coins left. He needed to find some work. Small comment here, I feel like we should agree on about how much money is worth. I assume a handful of gold is enough to last a couple days of food and inns and such. Or would it be too much? Not sure. :P
He put on his armor, grabbed his sword, and exited the inn.

elbomo

Post by elbomo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:53 pm

I'll do the same. I think the thing about a handful of gold lasting a few days sounds good.

Skrunge walked into the tavern & inn as a dog exited. He slowly stepped up to the bar, his head barely higher than it.
"What can I get you?" asked the old dog behind the counter.
"What's the cheapest thing ya have?" Skrunge asked, never willing to pay much for anything.
"I assume you're not talkin' about water. Nobody comes in here for water. The cheapest thing we've got is the Mud Grog," the dog said, chuckling slightly. "I'm not sure if you can take it or not." At this, Skrunge lay a silver piece on the counter. He took the clay bottle in his hand and took a gulp. He looked at the drink, disgusted. He knew why it was called Mud Grog... But he wasn't going to let that silver go to waste. He quickly downed the grog.