How about personal achievements?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sehiro

How about personal achievements?

Post by Sehiro » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 am

Hi guys,

before starting I have to say I am a new member of the secret preorder forum, as of the wolfire forum itself, thus I don't actually have much experience in Overgrowth forum threads.

Secondly I looked for something like what I have to propose, but maybe I didn't find it just because I am new here.

So let's get started: I want to ask you an opinion and some suggestion about "Personal Achievements" in Overgrowth. I Sent a mail to Wolfire and they said they'd probably add'em.

By "Personal Achievements" I mean achievements like the ones in Bordelands, I hope you guys know them. For example in Overgrowth I would like to see something like this:

- Not today (kill 1 wolf)
- I am no prey (kill 10 wolves)
- Who hunts who? (kill 100 wolves)
- Foodchain Reverser (kill 1000 wolves)

- That wasn't the floor... (1 jump-kill)
- They're good trampolines (50 jump-kills)
- The floor is Lava! (500 jump-kills)

- Lucky throw (1 kill with a thrown weapon)
- Nice aim (50 kills with a thrown weapon)
- Weapon Launcher (500 kills with a thrown weapon)

- Jump, sit, die! (kill 500 dogs)
- Didn't they have 9 lives? (kill 500 cats)
- Ratcatcher (kill 500 rats)
- Long way to make T. an only child (kill 500 rabbits)

- Shadow's Adept (1 silent kill) [By "silent" I mean neck-grabbed]
- Shadow's Warrior/Friend (50 silent kills)
- Shadow Himself (500 silent kills)

Something like this in the end. Let me know if you like them, or if you would like to change/add some of them. I guess this is a good idea, not so hard to put up, and still it would add some spice to the game. After we have discussed/improved the whole idea, I'll send another mail to Wolfire, giving full details about this, plus credits for your help.

Bye and thanks

Sehiro

Bump.

Post by Sehiro » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

Please, comment, even if it is just to let me know what do you think about it. Good idea, bad idea, nonsense, it sucks, maybe could be done etc.

Tyvm

Endoperez

Re: How about personal achievements?

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:02 pm

There's different ways to think about achievements.

First, you don't want achievements to be unfair and boring to do, if they don't happen during the normal gameplay. For example, killing 1000 wolves won't work if you only kill 100-300 wolves during a normal playthrough. Killing 500 wolves would be a better largest number.

Second, achievements that encourage players to try different things and have fun in different ways are good. Really good. Thrown weapons, stealth kills, neck-grabbing etc. Those kinds of achievements are good in smaller increments, because you want to show the player a new way to play, but not force him to do the whole game that way. 1 silent kill, 10-15 silent kills, and 50 silent kills as a maximum could work. 500? Too many achievements that are very hard to get might discourage players, and 500 stealth kills could become terious.

Third, achievements shouldn't encourage players to play in ways that are boring. "Do the same thing 1000 times" will get boring if someone is specifically working to get that achievement. Sometimes a statistics window with e.g. a kill counter does things just as wel.

For a difficult challenge, I'd like to see something like "finish a [specific challenge level] without taking damage", or "finish a [different challenge level] without using weapons".

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Pledged Duel: Throw a broadsword at a enemy, then once the enemy catches it, fight the enemy with your bare fists.

^ Creative achievements like that are the best achievements.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:22 am

@Endoperez:

Yes, I should have said it before, but I don't own the game. I requested a special permission to get in this forum just to discuss with you a couple of ideas I have, one of which is the achievement thing. So i don't know how many enemies you kill during a normal playthrough therefore, thanks for the help. The number you said (500 wolves) seems fair, given the fact that to get the max achievement someone has to complete the game more than once. I was thinking about calculating the number of kills not just during the campaign though, but in the whole gaming experience, so in challlenges too, presuming Overgrowth will have some similar to Lugaru, and in Multiplayer too. I mean: one account, with name, costumes etc, has a global kill calculator. I was unclear before, sorry. Furthermore, in Borderlands to get the max achievements you have to complete the game more than once, and I guess more than twice too. I need your suggestion about the numbers. The wolves maybe right, but I would like to put some more, and in the "special moves" kill I would put definitely some more for the max ones, so to try different play-styles in different playthroughs.

Instead of the specific challenge achievements of Endoperez, I would rather prefer the special achievements Timbles suggested.

@Timbles:

I like very much the idea, but I don't know anything about programming, would it be hard to make them? I mean, I guess that a kill calculator is quite simple to put up, but something like "Jump, bounce on a wall and jump-kill someone" is a more difficult achievement to program, even if it is definitely cooler.
If not, I am ready to suggest some "creative/special achievements" and if you have some just write them, after we make a list I will send Ryan a mail with the whole thing described in details, with all your names and what you have suggested.

p.s. Thank you for the help.

Sehiro

Bump.

Post by Sehiro » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:25 am

Bump.

Any other suggstions? If not I'll contact wolfire in a week.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 am

Have you asked about this in the IRC?

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Ehr... No... I am kinda new here so I don't know where to access it/what is it.

P.s. Sorry to be so Noob.

P.p.s. Sorry for the late, late, late reply too, I got involved in a spiral of events here. You know, new city (I moved), first year in university (goddamnsomanythingsIdontknowtheheckisthistheheckisthat), medicine and surgery as university course (medicine y u so full of things?! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) ) moreover medicine in english which is not my mother tongue (palmaface).

Anyway, concluding, I didn't asked in the IRC because:
1)I don't know what it exactly is (I guess some kind of real-time chat)
2) I don't know how to access it either.

Byebye

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Uops. I found the IRC. Still I don't know what it is, but I'll find it out. Ty anyway for the suggestion. Byebye

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm

In IRC they told me that Wolfire has already added achievements to the challenges, or it's planning to do so soon. Because of that I'll send another mail to Ryan with the complete list of achievements plus the suggestion I've got here and the credits for the suggestions.

Ty for the help and have a nice day

[quote][/quote]

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Speaking of achievements, the "never seen" challenge does not work, as it never displays green, just blue.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:24 am

Ok, ty for noticing, I'll tell em.