Any ideas for an Overgrowth Facebook page?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
EPR89

Re: Any ideas for our Overgrowth Facebook page?

Post by EPR89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:24 am

Overgrowth Download wrote: And: i think its IMPORTANT that other people also buy it and do NOT download it on alternative sites such as rapidshare. THIS is not that what i want. What i want are two things:

1. Support the game Overgrowth by publishing news online and the link to the real payed download
2. Earn money with my work
What work?
You are re-posting stuff that has already been posted here or by someone else on YouTube.
There is no work involved in this. All you are doing is sharing links and make it look as if it was your product.
As you see, I DON'T offer a free download, I just offer a FREE download link. And this means: the visitors of my site HAVE to pay for it!
Wow!
What a service!
Does this mean everyone I linked to the download here on the forums should have paid me money?

On your site you absolutely do make it sound as if anyone who likes the page gets the game for free. That's because people think logically. Offering someone a link is not something that should cost anything, not even a like on Facebook unless it's your product.
You are offering nothing of worth and are demanding something for it. You are misleading people and present Wolfire in a bad light, because people obviously will think that you are affiliated with them.

Clarify what you offer, so that people can see clearly what you do. There's no need to mislead people.
Think of something that might actually be of value to people. A well structured database for instructions or something like this. Of course, you are much to late for most things. We already have the wiki and this forum. I personally can't think of anything you could offer to earn money that isn't already freely available for everyone interested in it.
This is a quite good philosophy, and because of that I DON'T offer a free download, this solution is the only one I found.
You are quite bad at looking for things.

There's no other way for me currently to support Wolfire.
lol
Bullshit.

There are many other ways to support Wolfire. Everyone who uploads videos supports Wolfire. Everyone who shares links supports Wolfire.
What you are doing isn't supporting Wolfire primarily.
You are using the support of Wolfire as a tool to get likes on Facebook. Others manage to support Wolfire in a way that is much more accessible for people, much more informative and helpful, without using fuzzy and misleading descriptions.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:39 am

I agree with the other posts, using the website as a gateway to the official site is not ok when there are ads and outright crap functionality like the "Retwibble this site for the link" stuff. What it does is put the developers in a bad light, since some users may think that the site is official as nothing else is stated.

What I think you should do is rethink the concept, you should aim for some sort of fan site, have a look at the russian community site for some inspiration. Regarding ads, you really need to contact wolfire regarding this, as they are the only ones who can say nay or yay to using ads for a site like this. You also need to state (at least in it's current form) that the site isn't official, and link to the official site. The russian site gets around this by providing essentially a mirrored version of the front page which is translated, no ads, and the author also links to the official site in comments.

So yeah, rethink the site completely and contact wolfire as soon as possible. Make sure you have a fairly in-depth site plan when you contact them so can describe pretty much exactly what you want to do.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:52 am

The ads aren't the problem. He doesn't have to contact Wolfire to monetise his own site.
What he absolutely has to do, though, is get rid of this (intentionally?) unclear wording, because it really sounds

A) as if he was offering a free download
and
B) as if he was the creator of the stuff he has on that website.

I mean, on your Facebook page someone asked if he could advertise Overgrowth to support it and you replied that he should message you.
That's really low. You want this person to pay you so that you can advertise for a game produced and developed by Wolfire.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 am

Imagine a situation when you would click on link saying "Overgrowth download".

You'd probably be searching in Google, using keywords such as "download overgrowth game" or "overgrowth free game" or "where can i download overgrowth for free".

If that kind of a person ends up on your site, and follows the links, and finds out he has to pay... Well, he won't be happy, will he?
Furthermore, wouldn't he already need to know what Overgrowth is? Why else would he search for "download overgrowth".

I don't think those are the people you want on your site. If someone wanted to find cool games, you'd be searching for "cool games download" "what's a good fighting game?" or "kung fu ninja game". And you know what? There are a LOT more of those people than there are people who already know Overgrowth. You should try to make a site that grabs the attention of people who like fighting games, but don't know about Overgrowth.

Now, let's call these people your audience. What does your audience like? Fighting games. Kung fu games. Ninja games. Sword-fighting games. Perhaps kung fu and sword fighting videos, too, not just games. You can easily give them that, too! You can go to Youtube and dig around for interesting martial arts videos, and reblog them on your Facebook, Tumblr or Twitter. You could write reviews of fighting games, or just look for reviews of the best fighting games by the most known internet reviewers, and post links to those.

Is there anything your audience doesn't like? Yes. Being wrong is something no one likes. You're probably feeling pretty bad now that we in this thread are claiming that you're wrong. Sorry. :oops: But there's something that's almost as bad as being told you're wrong - feeling like you've been cheated, or lied to. And your site feels that way. It wasn't MEANT to be like that, but that's what it feels like.

Your audience won't be staying on your page if they feel like they're being lied to, so I think that changing your site is very important. Maybe even more important than adding in more content.

You want to focus on two things:
1) help Overgrowth, help Wolfire
2) get money out of it

1) is done by getting lots of new people to your site, and making sure they know about Overgrowth and Wolfire. Giving them the link to the pre-order page is a nice touch, but on its own, not enough. People will only buy the game if they WANT to buy the game. Following a link won't do that. Give them something that will make them go "I wish I could do THAT", and then follow it up with "here's a game where you can do that!"

2) Is done by getting lots of new people to your site, and making sure they keep coming back. That's quite different from number 1! It means you have to keep posting new stuff, but this new stuff always has to be something your audience is interested in. Get some software that lets you queue your posts, and to post them automatically. Decide how often you want to update - 5 days a week, 3 days a week? Every day? Don't go above it, don't go below it. Don't spam, but post something interesting every day or every few days. Keep the people coming back. At the moment, I've grown fond of http://art-of-swords.tumblr.com/ , they do this with swords. You're 16 and you can't post original content, so you need to post something that:
a) is interesting to your audience
b) isn't from another blog or service, if they could just as easily go to your source and stop following you
c) is easy enough to find that you can repost these things every day, and you don't have to spend too long finding more of these things to post

Youtube is good. There's so much stuff there that you can't find it all without spending a lot of time looking for it. However, if you spend some time on it, you can find lots of cool stuff - few hours every week could get you dozen cool videos to show off. DeviantArt, iphone game lists etc are all good choices too.

Which sort of videos / other things? Depends on your audience. I'd like to see stuff related to kung fu and other cool martial arts. Someone else might want to see MMA stuff. Some people want to see videos about fighting games. Some people would like to see parkour stuff. Some people would like to see people dressed as rabbits and as ponies. Posting bunnygirls would drive off many of the kung fu and parkour and MMA people.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:31 am

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Overgrowth Download wrote: But I'm certain Wolfire ain't gonna make any money. You're misleading people who want to get Overgrowth free and profiting from that. When they find out they've been mislead, they'll leave and Wolfire will make nothing.
This is pure speculation, you don't speak of real facts.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:45 am

I like your comments, they're the ones i accept fully. There's only one thing i have to correct:
Endoperez wrote:If that kind of a person ends up on your site, and follows the links, and finds out he has to pay... Well, he won't be happy, will he? (...)

I don't think those are the people you want on your site.
No. Mainly I want lots of THESE people on the site. And why? They shall buy the game, and not download it.

Think about this: is it alright to download a cracked Overgrowth? No. So this is a message on the site: YOU SHALL NOT download Overgrowth without paying for it. These people who do not pay are people who act illegal. Everybody who does something like this acts illegal. So what's the problem with misleading criminal people? Nothing. It's a mirror of THEIR action. But the ones who want to pay will get the download link for free, but not the download of course.

The Facebook page is something else. There I don't want to mislead people.

Ok, i read enough, there's no further sense to discuss it much more. I will make changes the next days, but please accept that i have tons of other projects which I have to create, I will do it as fast I can.

Thank you all for your good meant and honest comments which I will respect by the coming update.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:47 am

Overgrowth Download wrote:This is pure speculation, you don't speak of real facts.
It's a hypothesis. A quite sound hypothesis.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:56 am

EPR89 wrote:
I mean, on your Facebook page someone asked if he could advertise Overgrowth to support it and you replied that he should message you.
That's really low. You want this person to pay you so that you can advertise for a game produced and developed by Wolfire.
Wrong. He wanted to sell things to me. Also a speculation. But of course you're right with the rest of your comment.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 am

Overgrowth Download wrote:No. Mainly I want lots of THESE people on the site. And why? They shall buy the game, and not download it.
I don't agree.

People will only do something if they WANT to do it.

Anyone can pick up a piece of trash off the ground and put it into a trashcan. Only few people do. Only those who WANT to, do it.

The only way to get people to do something, is to make them want to do something.
Think about this: is it alright to download a cracked Overgrowth? No. So this is a message on the site: YOU SHALL NOT download Overgrowth without paying for it. These people who do not pay are people who act illegal. Everybody who does something like this acts illegal. So what's the problem with misleading criminal people? Nothing. It's a mirror of THEIR action. But the ones who want to pay will get the download link for free, but not the download of course.
I didn't get that message. It just seemed like a scam for your own benefit, I'm sorry to say. It would be cool if your site was the nr 1 search result on Google, with that name and with the bogus link, but I don't think it will get there if it's just meant to fool pirates.

Perhaps you should have two links on the site? One is to Download the game, and one has to like your page to get the link... which goes to the preorder page. The second link would be to help the developers, and it would also link to the preorder page. That link could maybe be visible even if people don't like the page.
Thank you all for your good meant and honest comments which I will respect by the coming update.
Thanks for listening. Many people don't.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Man, why is it this hard to accept your site isn't really doing anything in good terms? Just change the site from our posts and everything'd be much easier; this thread doesn't have to be this long.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:47 pm

haidawe wrote:A quick search for "Overgrowth" on Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage, Ixquick, and Bing brings the official site as the first/second result result, this alone shows how unneeded your site is.

But when searching for "Overgrowth Download", torrent sites with links are the results number 3, 4, 5 and 6. His "Overgrowth Download" Facebook site is already 7th! With a bit of work, it could be the 3rd or 4th, and might be the first thing a would-be pirate clicks... And then he'd be taken to the preorder page instead. It's kinda cool, actually, even though I don't think it would make those would-be pirates to buy the game.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:38 am

I changed the website now. What I did:

I was trying to combine my interests and those of yours including the goals of Wolfire. My philosophy of leading some of the people who don't want to pay for the game to the website will stay of course, but I still don't offer a crack or something else, i provide the real download link with the option to pay for it. Also i offer a "gate" by this website for people who want to be informed about the game GENERALLY, and are interested in buying the game by the description on the site in which i tell that this game can be payed and downloaded at Wolfire. Also i have a line on the website which says that this product is not a product of the website owner, the official developer is linked. The website stays also in the future a site with free information.

This is the current state. No more changes will be done.

Maybe the facebook page will have other contents in the future as some of you mentioned here in the forum.

I hope now I could find a solution which helps me, you and other gamers. Thank you for your help.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am

Much better. There are some typos here and there though.
Maybe you should change the multiplayer section? You can play local multiplayer if you have at least one gamepad for your PC, already, but there might never be online multiplayer..

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:33 am

Overgrowth Download wrote:I changed the website now. What I did:

I was trying to combine my interests and those of yours including the goals of Wolfire. My philosophy of leading some of the people who don't want to pay for the game to the website will stay of course, but I still don't offer a crack or something else, i provide the real download link with the option to pay for it. Also i offer a "gate" by this website for people who want to be informed about the game GENERALLY, and are interested in buying the game by the description on the site in which i tell that this game can be payed and downloaded at Wolfire. Also i have a line on the website which says that this product is not a product of the website owner, the official developer is linked. The website stays also in the future a site with free information.

This is the current state. No more changes will be done.

Maybe the facebook page will have other contents in the future as some of you mentioned here in the forum.

I hope now I could find a solution which helps me, you and other gamers. Thank you for your help.
As far as I can tell you didn't change anything. It still looks misleading as hell, the multiplayer section is a downright lie, blah blah blah. All the complaints I've seen in this thread are still valid.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:07 am

AmorphousGamer wrote:
Overgrowth Download wrote: All the complaints I've seen in this thread are still valid.
Are you sure you read this thread, and why?

And what do you mean with your signature, AmorphousGamer:

"If you think I'm the most awesome person in the world, cool! You're pretty stupid.
If you hate me and wish to send me hate, feel free to contact me at (...)"

Can you explain this to us?