Any ideas for an Overgrowth Facebook page?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Overgrowth Download

Any ideas for an Overgrowth Facebook page?

Post by Overgrowth Download » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 am

Hi!

we like to make a Facebook page. Do you have any ideas or whishes, about what we could report, or do you have some content we could share?

We would be thankful if some of you have some good suggestions, so that we maybe can offer you some more great news of your interest. Any ideas?!
Last edited by Overgrowth Download on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Re: Any ideas for our Overgrowth Facebook page?

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:28 am

Here's your original thread, I thought I'd link to this just so there's not any confusion.

viewtopic.php?t=15867

You have an EXTREMELY misleading site, there. Here are some issues I'd like to see corrected:
  • You don't link to the Wolfire site, you don't explain that the game is made by Wolfire. You have a "thanks for Wolfire" and the "download now" links, but those aren't enough. At the very least, you should name the devs and have a link to the Wolfire.com site in the "Overgrowth is a 3D action-adventure game for Mac, Windows and Linux. It's made by a small group of guys who developed their own game engine. " part.
  • You don't mention that Overgrowth needs to be bought, you claim it's available for free.
  • You only provide the link to Overgrowth Pre-order site once people Tweet or Like your site. This makes is seem like you're only doing this site so you get clicks and traffic for your site, not because you want to help people find info about Overgrowth.
  • You don't mention that you're not one of the creators, or affiliated with them.
  • "If you love multiplayer games, then start to fight against your friends online. Try it out now!" -> Overgrowth does NOT have online multiplayer.
  • There are several mistakes in the grammar, if you want your site to look professional you should fix those.
  • Your site is in English, but your Legal Notice is in German. That's weird and confusing.
  • You have a Youtube channel, you link to it, but there are no videos.
I have a few questions for you:

1) What is the most important thing about your site?
2) Does it do that as well as it could?

You might want to do this all in German. It would be easier for you to communicate in German, I think, and there doesn't seem to be much information about Overgrowth available in German.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:41 am

On your page someone asked you how to install the game.
Your response was, essentially, that you have no idea how to do it and that someone should make a YouTube video...

There are multiple videos online already and a very detailed walkthrough on this website here. I mean, if you make a fan website, at least try to do your research and don't act as if you were the sole authority on the subject when you obviously aren't.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:11 am

Yeah . . . everything about this facebook page and website makes me uncomfortable. You're lying outright. My advice is as follows:
Stahp.

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 am

I hope you delete your whole site. Just like Endoperez said, you are misleading as heck, provides false info and tell anything about the dev team and behind the scene stuff.

Also you should add that your site is not official and put a link somewhere where people can see it instantly. DO mention the game is not free and mention the right price.
Last edited by Saedz on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 am

I don't recommend stopping this. You can do this, and you can do this well - but what you have at the moment isn't very good. You might want to take it offline for a day or two until you fix it, but if you want to put in some work, you could make this into a pretty cool site.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:24 am

dude, give credit to the devs and remove the "download" everywhere its misleading

but personally i like the idea of og having a facebook page that is fanmade, and youre not doing a bad job at collection things, but this overgrowthdownload.com & your twitter its kind of unneeded. these things already exist & you should link to the sites by wolfire instead.

if you change it to cover mostly mod content / videos / other intersting things that arent on the official pages and give people the credit they deserve, im with you

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 am

This looks like you guys are supporting him offering the game out for free. At least that is what this looks like to me.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

The download link (that you only see if you like the page) links to "Preorder Overgrowth" page here on wolfire.com .

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Endoperez wrote:The download link (that you only see if you like the page) links to "Preorder Overgrowth" page here on wolfire.com .
ooh, okay.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Ok, I'm quite interested in your opinions, and I agree with most of your comments.

I have to say something about this site.

This site is made to support Overgrowth. The way I do it is another way other people do it. The reason is, that at first I like the game, and of course I bought it also. And: i think its IMPORTANT that other people also buy it and do NOT download it on alternative sites such as rapidshare. THIS is not that what i want. What i want are two things:

1. Support the game Overgrowth by publishing news online and the link to the real payed download
2. Earn money with my work

You all understand that everything I made needs much time. If I would be 16 years old, I would do it for no money, of course. But I searched for a solution to get payed.

As you see, I DON'T offer a free download, I just offer a FREE download link. And this means: the visitors of my site HAVE to pay for it! But if they are interested in downloading it, they have to like the facebook page. So: i give something, and I want something for it. This is a quite good philosophy, and because of that I DON'T offer a free download, this solution is the only one I found. There's no other way for me currently to support Wolfire. There are quite a lot people who get informed about Overgrowth by this site i made including the facebook page which needs also time for research and so on. And I am sure Wolfire earned already money by my site, and THIS is what Wolfire wants. Get money for things they do. This is okay!

So I will see what I can change on the site, and I will do changes in the next days. But please understand, that I asked here for ideas what could be more interesting for YOU on the facebook page. My interest was to get informed about your needs. But if there's nobody with good ideas, there won't be any changes.

Thank you all for your good comments! I understand your thoughts, but also understand mine - it is also another interesteing way of learning something about the internet, and this could also for you be important.

Overgrowth Download

Post by Overgrowth Download » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:23 pm

By the way:
Endoperez wrote:Here's your original thread, I thought I'd link to this just so there's not any confusion.
viewtopic.php?t=15867
This was a request before i changed the idea to the current one because nobody supported my interest in supporting Wolfire in the way I wanted to do it at the beginning, so i decided to do it without the other people here. The information I got was: oh, every content exists already, you don't have to do "this" or "that". But that was false. I love to work with people who don't have these mental limitation.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Overgrowth Download wrote: As you see, I DON'T offer a free download, I just offer a FREE download link. And this means: the visitors of my site HAVE to pay for it! But if they are interested in downloading it, they have to like the facebook page. So: i give something, and I want something for it. This is a quite good philosophy, and because of that I DON'T offer a free download, this solution is the only one I found. There's no other way for me currently to support Wolfire. There are quite a lot people who get informed about Overgrowth by this site i made including the facebook page which needs also time for research and so on. And I am sure Wolfire earned already money by my site, and THIS is what Wolfire wants. Get money for things they do. This is okay!
See, I'm not okay with this. At all. Not the way you're going about it anyway.
See, you could make money, sure. But I'm certain Wolfire ain't gonna make any money. You're misleading people who want to get Overgrowth free and profiting from that. When they find out they've been mislead, they'll leave and Wolfire will make nothing.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Like us on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter to get the Download link!
...in what way is this ever okay, to make someone publicise your website to get a download link to a game that you didn't even develop, even though there's countless other links to the preorder page?
I think you might actually be putting Wolfire in a bad light, because many people would despise that way of download, and assume that the developers of the game made the website. I, at least, would hate if the developers to a indie game made that as your entryway to buying the game.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 pm

I don't know how anyone thinks anything about this is a good idea.