What's Next For The Phoenix Engine?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Dahamonnah

What's Next For The Phoenix Engine?

Post by Dahamonnah » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 am

I was wondering what does Wolfire have in mind for Phoenix after finishing Overgrowth (If they ever make a sequel)?
I remember reading that he plans on ditching the engine if he ever finished Overgrowth. Will he continue work and improvement on the Phoenix Engine after finishing OG or will he write a completely new one. Maybe a more cross-platform one or something.
I don't have a lot of knowledge in engines but I was very interested in David's future plans for Phoenix.
I know this is a very premature question at this stage in Overgrowth's development, I was just curious about it.

Thank you.

Retarded Username

Re: What's Next For The Phoenix Engine?

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Gee I wonder, he did at one point show us a game he had planned, (He even had assets at hand already). That one of some sort of third person shooter, like a tribute to some old arcade game. I really hope he makes it opensource with all of those fancy features we have at our disposal in the OG editor.

Dahamonnah

Post by Dahamonnah » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:57 am

Retarded Username wrote:Gee I wonder, he did at one point show us a game he had planned, (He even had assets at hand already). That one of some sort of third person shooter, like a tribute to some old arcade game. I really hope he makes it opensource with all of those fancy features we have at our disposal in the OG editor.
Yeah, I remember that one :)
He had some amazing concepts and design theories on it. Wonder why he abandoned it. Maybe because in favor of Overgrowth.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:29 am

Dahamonnah

Post by Dahamonnah » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:38 am

I think his desire to create a shooter game finally materialized in the form of Receiver :P
It's kinda obvious he wanted a little break from ninja bunnies and work on a shooter (AWOL and Receiver).
He has a lot of great ideas and innovations in shooter games.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 am

akazi wrote:You guys talking about this: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/08/AWOL-artwork
cool shit, id love to see these automatic texture bands or the volumetric lighting in og