Wolves in Lore

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ogaito

Wolves in Lore

Post by Ogaito » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I don’t think the wolves’ participation in the game’s lore should be restricted to merely a bunch of people that have no choice other than to obey their completely stupid yet stronger-than-the-rest pack leader…

You see, the game’s lore admits that most wolves are just as “normal” as the other animals (dogs, cats and rabbits so far) but cannot express their will because their pack leaders are all brainless but incredibly strong, being rebellion something far away from a possibility. Said so, these wolves are forced to act, even in the most trivial of affairs, as aggressive as their leaders would, considering that any other reaction would be seen, by the brutes, as a reason to exclude them from the pack.

I know that Wolfire has way more important things to look after, but I couldn’t stop thinking this over. Maybe some wolves would want to leave their packs and become loners. You might think: “But then how the hell would a lone wolf survive in a world full of rabbits, cats, well-armed dogs AND normal wolves?” Well, maybe that loner would join a raider group (they don’t give a damn about races, as far as I know), or maybe other loners could gather and form a pack of renegated wolves.

Such wolves could be a little bit stronger and probably slower than the other races, but not overpowered (and so tall) like the wolves we have today in-game, and maybe have some other stuff to differ them from the dogs, like yellow eyes or whatever. They could even wear clothes and use weapons…

In real life, wolves are amazingly intelligent creatures that form complex society structures and bonds, so maybe SOME of them could be different from the others and brave enough to leave their packs, why not?

I may be saying crap, but it’s just the way I feel, so I passed by to drop out some ideas. Tell me what you guys think.

AmorphousGamer

Re: Wolves in Lore

Post by AmorphousGamer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm

What you say makes sense. However, you say that wolves are naturally quite intelligent. Which is true. But how does a wolf naturally interact with a rabbit? That's right, the wolf will likely nomnomnom the rabbit if it gets an opportunity. So as long as you're playing as a rabbit (or other small wolf-prey), the wolves will likely not get a chance to be friendly.

Ogaito

Post by Ogaito » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:57 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:What you say makes sense. However, you say that wolves are naturally quite intelligent. Which is true. But how does a wolf naturally interact with a rabbit? That's right, the wolf will likely nomnomnom the rabbit if it gets an opportunity. So as long as you're playing as a rabbit (or other small wolf-prey), the wolves will likely not get a chance to be friendly.
Well, the raider group was just an idea, I'm not saying a lone wolf necessarily needs to pact with other races, they could just form a separated group from their brute leaders. Even so, while we still don't have much story material, I still think a wolf could do cool stuff without their brute leader around, rather than just OMFGARABBITMUSTKILLMUSTEAT. In fact, even in the comics most dogs tried to kill (and eat) that rabbit, yet one of them protected him, even if because of the context.

What makes or not sense can be relative. I mean, It's Overgrowth, anything is possible :D

Dahamonnah

Post by Dahamonnah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 pm

To quote the Overgrowth rap:
Granted these are only broad generalizations, so don't be shocked if you find some aberrations
:wink: :mrgreen:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyWgqdHrbI

Ogaito

Post by Ogaito » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Dahamonnah wrote:To quote the Overgrowth rap:
Granted these are only broad generalizations, so don't be shocked if you find some aberrations

Haha yeah, as I said, Wolfire has way more important things to care about right now. I just felt like writing down what I think :mrgreen:

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Dahamonnah wrote:To quote the Overgrowth rap:

Why didn't I know that existed? That's beautiful.

sign1000

Post by sign1000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:12 pm

I like your idea. But... What about the rats? As far as I know, rats seems to be quite a secluded race, since rats are obviously smaller, and much sneakier than rabbits. They don't seem to interact that much with other races, (except maybe for stealthy stuff, like stealing food to live) since they are smaller and weaker. Then, not to mention, rats seems to be quite more on the stealthy side of things, maybe they should have an advantage in sneaking, and in stealth kills?

Anyways, the lore isn't on the top line, like you mentioned earlier, but if you like my idea, please expand on it, and add it to the game, if it isn't overly complicated, and works into the game plot.