Newbie needs help :/

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
benedrix

Newbie needs help :/

Post by benedrix » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Ok so im kinda confused as to how this game works atm.

How do edit character parameters? (fat, skinny etc) i click parameters with the white box selected and nothing comes up.

I installed Mods i liked with SUM launcher, how do i use them?

Half the maps i downloaded don't work....

I saw some guy in a youtube video do i flying kick move, how do i do that?

I dont know what half the keybinds are, SUM launcher doesn't tell u them all. For example: N seems to break a bone on all characters? V makes a random screaming voice.

I cant open the console, i tried rebinding the key for it but still it didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

I bought lugaru and the game mechanics aren't the same in overgrowth. You cant steal there weapons. I try to sneak up on enemies and they notice me within a meter. But i saw the wolf ai do it though.

I think the animal style run would be awesome, i saw the mod but its not very good....

How do i catch weapons thrown at me?

In lugaru u could counter being attacked with a weapon but in overgrowth if enemy has a spear you cant do anything do fight them expect try to knock them down unless im completely missing something.

How come enemies do the duck and kick so quick and i cant?

Why do half the weapons not do anything?

After i installed mods the list of nothing appears under o2 tab anymore.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Newbie needs help :/

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

For most of those you need to launch the game through SUMlauncher
Key binds are in SUMlauncher as well.

I would also suggest putting some more time to game before making suggestions as most of these issues could be solved with excessive trial and error.

I also suggest reading through some more threads, then you could get a feel for the community and some extra stuff about the game itself.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:14 am

The game is still unfinished, and it shows. User interface, getting started etc needs some more work.

For example, there's decorative weapons that act like baskets and bricks and trees, that never move and can't be grabbed and are just level design pieces. Then there's the actual weapons that can be used, and all of them don't even appear on the item lists you see in the game.

Some keys are hardcoded into the scripts, and they're used for testing stuff. 'F' used to shoot lightning (it was added when they were testing particles), the screaming was added when they were testing sounds, 'x' resets all characters to full health, 'c' tells AI to stop fighting, and so on. Oh, and tab enables slow motion, clicking tab twice quickly stops time. It's stuff for testing, it's just something they added into the scripts and will probably be removed at some point.

The stealth in Overgrowth takes enemy vision and hearing into account, but there's 1) no indication about what's happening and 2) it's not balanced, so you might make too much noise even when sneaking 3) you don't make sound while you're in the air, so if you time a jump you'll land behind them and grab them before they have time to do anything...

Flying kick - press attack while you're in the air. It's overpowered. :mrgreen:

There is a dodge you can use against weapons, but no counters yet I think. To dodge, tap a movement key while the enemy is attacking but before he connects. Practice is in slow-motion first, otherwise you die very quickly.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:18 am

Edit: Endoperez already answered most things, well here its again
benedrix wrote:Ok so im kinda confused as to how this game works atm.
ah.
benedrix wrote:
How do edit character parameters? (fat, skinny etc) i click parameters with the white box selected and nothing comes up.
press U
benedrix wrote:
I installed Mods i liked with SUM launcher, how do i use them?
maps in the main menu, items with the object browser in the community tab
benedrix wrote:
Half the maps i downloaded don't work....
what doesnt work
benedrix wrote:
I saw some guy in a youtube video do i flying kick move, how do i do that?
jump and when youre over your enemy press attack
benedrix wrote:
I dont know what half the keybinds are, SUM launcher doesn't tell u them all. For example: N seems to break a bone on all characters? V makes a random screaming voice.
watch the alpha, tutorial or ogweekly videos
benedrix wrote:
I cant open the console, i tried rebinding the key for it but still it didn't work.
i havent seen any console in this game yet
benedrix wrote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
no prob
benedrix wrote:
I bought lugaru and the game mechanics aren't the same in overgrowth. You cant steal there weapons. I try to sneak up on enemies and they notice me within a meter. But i saw the wolf ai do it though.
enemies hear you when you walk near them. you need to make the last few meters with a jump. you can press rmb to grab them
benedrix wrote:
I think the animal style run would be awesome, i saw the mod but its not very good....
so?
benedrix wrote:
How do i catch weapons thrown at me?
counter (rmb)
benedrix wrote:
In lugaru u could counter being attacked with a weapon but in overgrowth if enemy has a spear you cant do anything do fight them expect try to knock them down unless im completely missing something.
you can dodge
benedrix wrote:
How come enemies do the duck and kick so quick and i cant?
training
benedrix wrote:
Why do half the weapons not do anything?
you need to load them as items, not as objects
benedrix wrote:
After i installed mods the list of nothing appears under o2 tab anymore.
i dont understand that

benedrix

Post by benedrix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks for the help guys. that air kick is pretty op. Editing there parameters is funny.

How do i use the mods
This don't make no sense to me :/

There are no new objects in the objects tab even when i launch from sum launcher...

last

Post by last » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 pm

All the objects and items that you have installed trough SUM launcher will appear into Overgrowth, even when you use SUM launcher (as a shortcut for Overgrowth.exe file, there isn't any difference between those 2 methods).
There should be community tab in the object browser menu (Sometimes they say it's an item browser)
And that's the place where all the custom objects will appear when you install them through SUM.
There is O2 tab in the object browser menu where I add all the default objects, that are made, but not added into the browser. You can find more info about this mod here.
Means that all the installed custom maps will appear into the main menu and all the custom items and objects are in object browser community tab (in the editor mode)
Edit, there are many tabs with objects and only one is called objects. Look into others as well.

benedrix

Post by benedrix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

There is nothing under the O2 tab and everything under the objects tab is just default

last

Post by last » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Ok, try to uninstall O2 tab and then install it again, maybe the alpha update messed that part of the object browser up. Under the O2 tab there should be 532 objects there after you installed it again.

benedrix

Post by benedrix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm

How do i uninstall then reinstall it...

I reinstalled the current alpha and it did nothing...

last

Post by last » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

In the SUM launcher's community content browser there are 2 tabs. one with installed content and 2. with available content.
All you have to do is find O2 Tab - Last in the installed content tab there and click on it (double click should also uninstall). Or select uninstall from the right side where the picture about this mod is.
Now you should go back to the available tab and find there O2 Tab - Last there again and click on it (or double click to install)and press install button to install it again.

benedrix

Post by benedrix » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 pm

I did what u said and nothing appears in the under the O2 tab still...

last

Post by last » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Ok i think i know what's the problem. It looks like SUM launcher has a bug again.
Here is a fix. You have to extract this file into Overgrowth\Data\UI\spawner folder and replace the original with it. After that it should work and you should see community tab and O2 tab should also work again.
Attachments
spawner.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:33 pm

last wrote:Ok i think i know what's the problem. It looks like SUM launcher has a bug again.
Here is a fix. You have to extract this file into Overgrowth\Data\UI\spawner folder and replace the original with it. After that it should work and you should see community tab and O2 tab should also work again.
I just changed the date modified of the file, so it "should" update now... let me know if it works to update now. (You can just run SUMLauncher, then Overgrowth, and it should update if the change worked.)

benedrix

Post by benedrix » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Yay it works now, thanks a bunch! :D

last

Post by last » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 pm

I think SUM launcher is fixed also.