Unofficial Overgrowth a204 build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial Overgrowth a204 build

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

The unofficial, Overgrowth a204 leaked build is here! Note, you can also download it on your Humble Store page now!

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
- Added tool to attach environment objects to character skeletons
- Added NVTX labels for GPU profiling
- Converted most immediate-mode drawing to use vertex arrays or VBOs
- Improved VBO and line-width state shadowing
- Reduced per-frame memory allocations
- Static physics AABBs are only updated as needed
- Added angelscript benchmarking functions
- Fixed performance issue with ASGetObjectIDArray
- Fixed vec3 normalization issue which could cause random crashes

A "leaked build" is when I grab the latest development build and package it up for you guys. It has a bunch of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to [email protected].

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not polished builds, just raw development dumps.

To download the alpha, use one of these links, or log into your Humble Store account:

Windows: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Mac OS X: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Linux: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Just want the changes from the last alpha to a204? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/overgrowth-a204.zip
[+] Checksums
Windows builds:
MD5 = 4e2c06c3fe5e6af1f56e65029795b8f9
SHA1 = bf2977e5f5bde4fe66f83ae7dbd2135175b17b15

Mac builds:
MD5 = c4dad0bd1ba0e48b77fcd89363f2f201
SHA1 = 772535e3f1e2cd182b2e2ef24bc4b39a5756aba8

Linux builds:
MD5 = 5c5f59f6cbba5460190a31bf22305008
SHA1 = a3e50a2e51b4926e72246bfca5dea51d98846ce2

Diff file:
MD5 = f48d30283346de59b99fa21baa0fc2e4
SHA1 = ab164ed6152773b41406e133141cdc7c12711578
Subscribe to the dev blog!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a204 build

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

For new users
  • If you have not installed Overgrowth yet you can use the SUMLauncher to do so!
  • If you already have Overgrowth installed you can use the SUMLauncher to update it to the latest alpha.
  • The SUMLauncher lets you painlessly update Overgrowth, change settings, and Install Community-made maps and mods.
For Existing SUMLauncher users
  • It is possible that this update breaks the in-game components of the Community Content Manager. If this happens we'll work as fast as possible to get this resolved.
  • If a user-made mod is broken by the update please inform the creator of that mod so they can submit a fix which you will be able to download through the Community Content Manager.
For future updates keep an eye on our twitter @SUMOGUtilities!

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks you much for the optimization. :)

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:39 pm

haidawe wrote:The optimization is my favorite thing about the build, but would I need to do a fresh install to completely have the effects? Or does that really matter?
I didn't do a full reinstall and it worked for me.

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 pm

haidawe wrote:
akazi wrote:
haidawe wrote:The optimization is my favorite thing about the build, but would I need to do a fresh install to completely have the effects? Or does that really matter?
I didn't do a full reinstall and it worked for me.
Some maps have improved, mainly Back To Pianopolis, but some seem the same. a200 was perfect for me on just about all levels, not sure what was changed in a201 and later.
Try a delete of your cache and maybe do a full reinstall just to see.

iramiz

Post by iramiz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Jeff wrote:
Thank you for optimization :) Well, it doesn't work for me at the moment (no difference between highest and settings lowest settings either), but I'm making a clean install (including clearing my documents/wolfire directory) so may be there is hope for me yet.

Anyway, I've just wanted to know, what minimal requirement for CPU you are currently aiming? I am having definitely old PC (man, how fast time flying, five years and yet, for me it still feels like pretty new machine :mrgreen:) so may be I just false hoping myself and it would be better to prepare for bright future with Overgrowth (and other games for that matter) :)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:25 pm

It would be helpful to hear more details about the performance if you are still having problems -- e.g. what levels, what hardware/os, and so on. Maybe try deleting all characters from a level or all objects to see what is correlated with low framerate.

iramiz

Post by iramiz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Traditionally I always try Patchy Highlands. Usually I have 0-5 fps in that level (and others levels with grass and trees). After updating I have a bit lower that that (feels worse anyway).

Anyway, after clean install including clear my docs, fps in that level became 20-25 (except 10fps after killing a rabbit for a few seconds). Which is great improvement! I hoped that this level (and similar grass/forest levels too) became playable and this day come :) Now I'm happy. Thank you!

P.S. Though, I'll try other levels now to see the difference

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:27 pm

compared to alpha 203, 204 is way better with complex levels such as forest hills and patchy highlands. Alpha 202 and below not much of a gain. It really comes down to the physics being the biggest bottleneck and basic collision such as walking over objects with a lot of polys it lags a lot.

Tight spaces that you have to crouch in such as caves with multiple walls around you drops frame rate a lot, but for some reason when turning on dynamic shadows I don't have this massive frame rate drop when in these tight cave tunnels. Even though performance in all is worse because of having dynamic shadows on.
My specs are:

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 bit

AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz CPU

AMD Radeon HD 7870

8GB 1866 RAM

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:54 pm

So.. This: Image

Gordonchiefsack

Post by Gordonchiefsack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:09 pm

akazi wrote:So.. This: Image

Goddamn that looks rad.

Gordonchiefsack

Post by Gordonchiefsack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Ding ding ding!!!

akazi

Post by akazi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Haha! Now that is cool.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:47 pm

David, you're the genius! Though the word can't express it enough. So smooth approach to the item/armor attachment, awesome! Wondering how it develops further =D

Have a few questions to you:

[Q1] Does the character scale retarget animations as well, for example spinkick: if your character is scaled up and the enemy character is scaled down would it make you to hit lower with the spinkick to actually reach the target instead passing above it even if the smaller enemy is standing straight?
Remember there was something like that before for characters standing at different levels of height, but that's a bit different though.

[Q2] Also do you plan to have different species' models to be initially different height or you'll have them equally high and then scale via the bone scaling feature so that animations would adapt to the height difference(as guessed above in Q1)?

[Q3] As of Dog, when I press 8 I have some randomized proportions, sometimes head looks too small and sometimes nose is too flat. Are these different models or is it the basic model with the bone scaling feature applied?
Guess it's the latter(Aubrey's model from the video is fantastic!), though then would be nice to scale up the head too =)

[Q4] Could run Patchy Highlands for the first (I think) time since looong ago, it used to give errors. Though tree leaves give some artifacts with time and overall grass and leaves seem to loose transparency with distance so they look dirty and flat. This isn't a new issue though, but I wanted to ask: what video settings do you use in the videos?

[Q5] Can't remember how to use the brush tool(or what was it called, it spawned multiple copies of same object, but rotated them a bit or so), also missing the double slo-mo on knokouts, and I remember you added these awesome footprint decals. And more!

So the question is: do you track somewhere the full list of features, so you reactivate them later?

Not saying you could forget them, but they are really enormously numerous. Also could be useful tho list them for purchasers =)

A few notes:
* The vertical Tool ribbon seems to be missing.
* MMB instead LMB for camera movement would be nice(to avoid dragging selected objects when rotating the view).
* Would be nice to access different object editors(palette, character parameter etc) via RMB pop-up menu, but this is for Beta polishing phase I guess.
* The attachable armor plates and bags now use the new attachment system, while weapons use the other that has predefined attachment spots, do I get it right?

You're doing an incredibly awesome job, keep it up and Good Luck! =D

Bronxsta

Post by Bronxsta » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm

When I fighting one enemy or in an parkour map, I can run the game smooth on High settings.
But with multiple enemies like in the arena or in the 3v1 challenge, the game lags. Not to a standstill, I can still fight, but it's quite laggy

Any suggestions here? Is this something that will be better optimized in future builds?