Second Player weaker in multiplayer?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Zen

Second Player weaker in multiplayer?

Post by Zen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:20 pm

I've noticed that when playing local multi with two controllers (or even just one) the second player seems to be weaker than the first player. Simply switching controllers (so that player 2 plays as player 1 and vv) allows the previous player 2 to win. I was wondering if this a bug that is known or if there is some sort of remedy. I usually bring up attack speed on p2 15% to help compensate but that doesn't solve the problem entirely and causes new ones.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Second Player weaker in multiplayer?

Post by Constance » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I actually think it's the controller.
It's just not as reliable as the keyboard and mouse.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:17 am

He did mention two controllers though. If it happens even with two controllers, there's probably a bug in there somewhere.

Zen

Post by Zen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 am

It happens with two controllers and is more than obvious, it usually results in 5-0 in the versus map.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:13 am

Im often playing controller vs keyboard but i never noticed sth like this. Maybe just because i always have the controller but am more experience in og than my friends.
are you sure both players have all parameters the same? And is it on all maps?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 am

I've noticed this difference, but I think that it has to do with the animation, not player 1 vs player 2. The Turner characters "primary" attack for people will be the roundhouse, where as most other characters will be a back spin kick. The animation for the back spin kick seems to take longer, to the point where it feels like they are at a disadvantage. Try using a map that is turner vs turner, or change the animation of the character to the roundhouse instead, and I think things will feel more "fair" to you.

Zen

Post by Zen » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 am

The attacks being different is one thing, (something that i've noticed) however, there are additional factors like blocks / dodges being much more difficult / not as successful. The best solution I've found is to turn up the p2 attack speed by 10-15% which solves some problems, however that doesn't help with blocks and dodges.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:46 am

Zen wrote:The attacks being different is one thing, (something that i've noticed) however, there are additional factors like blocks / dodges being much more difficult / not as successful.
That sounds very unlikely. When those moves are activated in the time window you have they should always work. There are no partial blocks or dodges, they always result in you not taking any damage and not being stunned.
My guess is that this is only due to the controller.

Karel

Post by Karel » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:20 am

Timbles wrote:I actually think it's the controller.
Complete BS, in OG a gamepad is ten times superior to the M+KB combo.

Just because MKB is superior in about almost every PC game ever doesn't mean it works for all genres and games.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:05 am

Karel wrote:
Timbles wrote:I actually think it's the controller.
Complete BS, in OG a gamepad is ten times superior to the M+KB combo.

Just because MKB is superior in about almost every PC game ever doesn't mean it works for all genres and games.
Eh, I find gamepads completely inaccurate for this sort of game. Then again I've spent so many years with computers, I just feel so comfortable with them. Haven't really put much time into a console since N64 with Super Smash Bros.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I think its better with a controller, the only thing that annoys is that the camera locks onto opponents and that changing the camera senitivity doesnt work. You have to make cuts on the amount of buttons though.
but ive never noticed anything with blocks / dodges being less effective, maybe your controller has a pretty high reaction time. Is it via 360controller emulator?

last

Post by last » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:the only thing that annoys is that the camera locks onto opponents and that changing the camera senitivity doesnt work.
there is a setting in config.txt that will turn this off "auto_camera: false" can't check what it is in SUM but i know that it's there also.