Missing files on OG (Linux, steam)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Karel

Missing files on OG (Linux, steam)

Post by Karel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:55 am

Hello - the reason I've been not that much active these past weeks is that I did the army, then stopped and now I'md doing a fucking hard IT school... which doesnt leave me much time lol.

But since I now have a PC I use all the time that's running Linux (specifically Mint 16 petra) I told myself that I may as well play on it...

Except well, IDK, OG doesn't really work - most maps are missing textures, there are no light sources (everything is dark tho the sun is glitching everywhere on the screen ) lots of models and sounds and textures are missing and most maps don't launch. There is no AA as well while I've set it in the sumlauncher.

I downloaded OG through steam and used the sumlauncher to download all of the community content and set my options (btw bindings don't seem to wok on Linux on non qwerty keyboards) .

I've downloaded shittons of libs a bit everywhere, not sure exactly which ones.

The two other games I downloaded on steam don't work (missing executable error) while steam tells me they're Linux compatible. Maybe the problem is steam not downloading stuff properly ?

I have proprietary drivers for my GPU (AMD HD 7600-7700 something, laptop GPU) And I've installed most of the libs mentionned on the wiki (though if I remember well some didn't install, can't remember which ones )

I am relatively new to Linux, well I had to recode lots of UNIX system programs like a shell and all so far, but I only installed Mint pretty recently after I got tired with the extremely broken OpenSuse without any GUI the school gave us at first.

I cant' be very precise atm because I'm oon my phone.
Thanks in advance :)

last

Re: Missing files on OG (Linux, steam)

Post by last » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:08 am

I don't think that you are actually missing any files. The real problem is probably how those files and file paths are written. You see linux file paths are case sensitive, so upper and lower characters are really important.
There may also be writing errors in the level and object .xml files where the upper and lover cases are used wrong so it would be really hard to fix, but when this is the case someone must have to do it.

Karel

Post by Karel » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

last wrote:The real problem is probably how those files and file paths are written. You see linux file paths are case sensitive, so upper and lower characters are really important.
That I know, but how is it related? Do you mean that steam installs games as it would on windows, or something?

last

Post by last » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Have you actually looked for missing files, maybe they are existing in your game folder. When they do, then it is probably a problem with a badly written .xml file.

Karel

Post by Karel » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 am

last wrote:Have you actually looked for missing files, maybe they are existing in your game folder. When they do, then it is probably a problem with a badly written .xml file.
Well... Duh I should have done this before.
I'm gonna do so whenever I can.

What I know, though, is that some other games I tried to install on steam on Linux actually have empty folders or missing files. I'm gonna check for OG as soon as I can.