Unofficial Overgrowth a205 build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial Overgrowth a205 build

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 am

The unofficial, Overgrowth a205 leaked build is here! Note, you can also download it on your Humble Store page now!

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
- New settings screen
- Can change any graphics options without restart
- New fullscreen system based on native desktop resolution
- New system for vertical bounce during run animations
- Key remapping UI
- New game icon

A "leaked build" is when I grab the latest development build and package it up for you guys. It has a bunch of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to [email protected].

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not polished builds, just raw development dumps.

To download the alpha, use one of these links, or log into your Humble Store account:

Windows: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Mac OS X: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Linux: Download
BitTorrent - please seed

Just want the changes from the last alpha to a205? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/over ... a205-3.zip
[+] Checksums
Windows builds:
MD5 = 2fd812fcf317122a477d4b2f6ee095af
SHA1 = ea361b7ebb3e68ca2ad5754acec6bfc622c5f6d9

Mac builds:
MD5 = 283280c1f90f1f1f41e5c69940b6e5d3
SHA1 = bd8cb2cdbde6b285fad30e3d73e312de00eac56f

Linux builds:
MD5 = c32e21e04d27e860ee975be6c5bbbb11
SHA1 = 1f98d0c43787b77a74be07de6f34045312eb8f80

Diff file:
MD5 = f080fd74dfef2d77fa80aa5c124eaff3
SHA1 = bc370dd8ba14e9b2c65e1fce97d6796fa4068ed7
Subscribe to the dev blog!

EPR89

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a205 build

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:43 am

And again, Wolfire offers features not available in triple A titles.
  • Change the settings on the fly, even resolution.
  • Use custom resolutions.
  • Use a Media Mode that allows for smooth camera movement, otherwise only possible with a controller.

floresteiro

Post by floresteiro » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

It gonna be a great game. I would like to help but I don't know how to this right way.
Always send error reports.
How can I send my ideas about game improvment?
Once again congratulations.

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Installed a205 update through SUMLauncher, can't play any more. Error message in popup:

Code: Select all

Error in "level.as"
Compiling void Update()
ERR: level.as(196,17) No matching signatures to 'OpenSettings()'
and next popup:

Error
Could not compile script: Data/Scripts/level.as
This is on ubuntu 12.04.

Is there an easy fix? Search didn't turn up anything related to this specific error.

EDIT:
I didn't install any mod, only maps, skyboxes and a weapon pack through SUMLauncher
Last edited by pumpernickel on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z33ky

Post by z33ky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:26 pm

According to strings the OpenSettings function is present in the OS X and Windows, but not the Linux binaries.
Perhaps the Linux binary in the update is not up-to-date or the function was improperly exported (I'm guessing the first when looking at other settings-related strings in the other binaries).

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Yeeheeehee I love this game so much! Thank you guys for puting so much time and effort in to this!

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:31 am

Note that this is at least the second time the Linux build has been completely unplayable due to shipping an old binary...

Other bizarre issues from the past include:
- (for months or years) shipping binaries that were factors of several times slower than the Windows builds due to not enabling compiler
- For many months in a row, shipping Linux code that couldn't properly handle rotations in scripts, so that arena mode couldn't be played (when it was the main feature being developed in the alphas).

When presented with the many game-breaking bugs on Linux, the usual attitude by the developers is "Oh, sorry 'bout that. We'll fix it in the next alpha--in a month or 6." Of course, there's not even a clean way to downgrade Overgrowth, so even reverting is a massive pain. Hopefully this time will be different... (I think they have gotten a little better at Linux support lately).

I like the Wolfire guys, but if they just tested the Linux builds for 15 minutes when they release them, and were willing to fix egregious Linux-specific bugs pointed out to them (when missed by this screening process), I'd feel much better about them.

I don't know what fraction of their total revenue comes from Linux sales. It seems possible that it's so small that even this relatively small amount of effort is not worth it, but I think in that case they shouldn't have ever claimed Linux support at all. "It's an alpha" isn't an excuse when the quality and usability of Linux versions has been so consistently behind other platforms. When you claim to support Linux, I think there's an implicit promise that it will be at least comparable (if not identical) in quality to the Windows builds, and Wolfire has failed that time and time again. I know I'm being somewhat hypocritical by doing all this complaining and not just requesting a refund, but I really do feel that Wolfire is handling this very badly.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 am

Have you tried using the Steam Linux version to see if that build is working? Edit: Here are the libs and executables I used for that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/323 ... inux32.zip

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 am

I couldn't easily get the files from that zip file working with my existing install, but installing Overgrowth from Steam is working fine. Interesting... is Steam now the "canonical" way to install Overgrowth?

chrisxy

Post by chrisxy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 am

Well, I tried the steam version and overgrowth tries to make the glsl compiler compile a shader that contains

#define GL_ARB_sample_shading_available
But the GLSL 1.30 specification says

All macro names prefixed with “GL_” (“GL” followed by a single underscore) are also reserved.
Am I crazy or should this never work anywhere?

Thymus

Post by Thymus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:01 am

Hi,
I have an issue with the keyboard binding.
I'm Fr and i use ZQSD to move but when I press Z the rabbit fall on the ground (fake death) and I can't move forward.
The other keys work well. I'm force to use A to move forward but it's not very good to move.

Someone have this issue or the solution ?

PS: I'm on Linux 64 bits (OpenMandriva Lx 2013) , on steam .

Thanks.

last

Post by last » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:14 am

I believe you are using azerty keyboard, but the problem is that some keys (debug keys) are only changeable in the script files. Don't worry, there are solutions for changing them.
Here is a link that should help you

Thymus

Post by Thymus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 am

Yes, i'm playing with an azerty keyboard. I have test the solution and it work fine for me.
Thank you for the help.

chrisxy

Post by chrisxy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:02 pm

chrisxy wrote:

#define GL_ARB_sample_shading_available
Ok, so I ran grep on the whole overgrowth thing and this string only appears in some checks in some shaders in Data/GLSL/ and in Overgrowth.bin.x86.

So patching the binary and the shaders with sed works:

sed -i "s/GL_ARB_sample_shading_available/XX_ARB_sample_shading_available/g" Overgrowth.bin.x86
for i in Data/GLSL/*; do sed -i "s/GL_ARB_sample_shading_available/XX_ARB_sample_shading_available/g" "$i"; done
But they still don't prepend #version 130 to the shader.

Seriously, what's the problem? This should be a trivial fix in about 2 lines of code, and without it their game will not work on ANY glsl compiler that follows the spec.

edit: Wait, that was unfair. They do.

$ MESA_GLSL=dump $HOME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./Overgrowth.bin.x86 | grep -A 1 "source "

[...]

GLSL fragment shader 0 source for linked program 0:
(null)
--
GLSL source for vertex shader 1:
#version 130
--
GLSL source for fragment shader 2:
#version 130
--
GLSL fragment shader 0 source for linked program 3:
#version 130
--
GLSL vertex shader 1 source for linked program 3:
#version 130
--
(null)
--
(null)
--
(null)
--
GLSL source for vertex shader 5:
#define XX_ARB_sample_shading_available
--
GLSL source for fragment shader 6:
#define XX_ARB_sample_shading_available
But not for all, because the 6th one fails to compile because it needs glsl 1.30 features.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 am

gnurdux wrote:Note that this is at least the second time the Linux build has been completely unplayable due to shipping an old binary...
Sorry about that! We are working on improving the Linux build procedure to help keep it in better parity.