A few tips I can give to new players (share yours too)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
JBlak

A few tips I can give to new players (share yours too)

Post by JBlak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:39 am

I am a lugaru player coming to Overgrowth. At first, I had a little bit of difficulty with the game. I could never get past the burly rabbits dressed in black in Arena mode, who appears after you have 70 skill rating or so. Searching on the forums for some tips proved to be of little help. So here I am sharing a few tips I learned from playing the game.

1. Try to use rabbit kicks when you're trying to defeat strong rabbits. Can work both armed and unarmed. If the rabbit is running straight at you, try to aim to land at the space in front of the rabbit and hold LMB. You should be able to land the rabbit kick. If the rabbit you're trying to kick is already engaged, then aim to land on their heads and hold LMB.

2. When you attack, commit to it. If you're being overly careful i.e. pressing RMB to block incoming attacks as soon as you commence your attack, you'll find your attack is actually canceled. This causes most of your attacks to not land. If you're committed to your attack, you'll find you'll land way more hits, and even landing ones before the enemy has finished his attack, causing him to ragdoll.

3. When you're sneaking on a unsuspecting enemy, don't attempt to sneak all the way behind him, it won't work. Instead, when you're 10 meters or so away, jump towards him and hold RMB. You'll find yourself landing a chokehold on the enemy. You can either choke him out if you're unarmed, or slit his throat if you're armed.

4. Wolves are not very powerful as of this version. You'll find most of the rabbit attack animations to be faster than the wolves'. So commit to your attack, and you'll find yourself ragdolling the wolf most of the time.

Feel free to add more tips. I may be wrong, as these facts are from my own personal experience. If I'm wrong, don't be hesitant to correct me.

AmorphousGamer

Re: A few tips I can give to new players (share yours too)

Post by AmorphousGamer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:28 pm

JBlak wrote: 4. Wolves are not very powerf--*knocked 10 meters away into a wall, breaking every bone in my body*
Fixed that for ya.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:45 pm

5. Win the game

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Retarded Username wrote:5. Win the game
6. Get all da mownies.

1337m347

Post by 1337m347 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:44 pm

7. Lure enemies out from patrol routes
In most maps enemies have predestined patrol patterns so feel free to lure one out at a time to chip away at them rather than go headfirst into an ocean of bad guys and get surrounded faster than you can say "roundhouse kicked to death".

drako125

Post by drako125 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Learn to active block, as simply flipping an enemy over your shoulder can save your life, *cough* later arena fights *cough*

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

9. You cannot jump over sweeps and do a super awesome counter-drop kick. I know, it would be motherfuckin' awesome. But what you CAN do is duck under a roundhouse kick and counter-sweep.

Lunor

Post by Lunor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:35 pm

When in doubt, leg cannon, leg cannon and leg cannon.

Bronxsta

Post by Bronxsta » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Timbles wrote:9. You cannot jump over sweeps and do a super awesome counter-drop kick. I know, it would be motherfuckin' awesome. But what you CAN do is duck under a roundhouse kick and counter-sweep.
Learned this yesterday. Not only does it look badass...

it sets you much better for a counter attack than a simple dodge