Bow and Arrow

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ba10

Bow and Arrow

Post by ba10 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 am

I would really love to have one of these in this style of game. The physics are amazing and the way that the knives were implemented I don't seem it could be that hard for these talented developers to simulate this. Is there mods that have this already? Would you guys like to see this implemented?

AmorphousGamer

Re: Bow and Arrow

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:38 am

search.php?keywords=bow+and+arrow&terms ... mit=Search

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16461

EDIT: Oh look, in that first thread I linked Endoperez actually linked a ton of other bow and arrow discussion threads. Thanks man!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6779
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8336
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8598
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14030
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16142
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16369
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16413
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16461
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17165
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17599
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17711
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17810
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17854

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah thats an often requested feature and the devs are aware of it. David said sth about it on the reddit q&a but i dont remember

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:24 am

[–]m_meirin 21 points 1 month ago
Are you planning to add some kind of long range weapon such as a bow in Overgrowth?

[–]WolfireDavidWolfire Games 31 points 1 month ago
I'm thinking about it! It wouldn't be too difficult technically, but may be tricky to balance with the other weapons.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Juts throwing this out, has anyone thought about actively blocking incoming arrows?

I mean, for balance, to avoid the "bows would be OP" thing. Given the fact both you and the enemies are able to grab an incoming 2 handed spinning greatsword, why wouldn't you both be able to deviate arrows?
They are for sure faster, therefore the reflexes required to grab them would be too much, but you could still deviate them with your forearms, given the fact their mass is definitely inferior to the mass of a sword or axe.

For the block a movement like this: stand on your feet, extend forward and slightly to the left your right arm, angle your elbow at 90 degrees, move the right arm from left to right. Your vertical forearm hits the arrow's stick and deviate its course making it go over you by your right.

Polaris2

Post by Polaris2 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Wouldn't Bow and arrows require a good distance to even have a chance to dodge them even if the computer could theoretically be the one (Matrix reference)?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 am

Polaris2 wrote:Wouldn't Bow and arrows require a good distance to even have a chance to dodge them even if the computer could theoretically be the one (Matrix reference)?
Yes, although the arrows are slow enough that you can see their movement with normal eyesight and in theory you have time to react instinctively. Of course, bow and arrows requires a good distance any way, so the other guy doesn't introduce you to his sword or axe. :P

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:01 am

Being an archer myself, I would like to say something.

The average arrow shot by an olympic bow (basically a more technological version of the traditional bow) flies at 200-230 km/hour. This means that it can cover a distance of 60 meters in one second, more or less. The average reaction time of humans is something like 200 milliseconds, varying depending on the task. This means that if we had the speed and the precision of a ninja we could deviate an arrow shot from 12 meters away.
Given the fact that the animals in OG seems pretty much better than hoomans (instinct, better shape, harder-better-stronger-faster), I would think as normal for them to deviate arrow from any distance.

Besides keep in mind that a flying arrow produce noise (like a buzz of very big fly, because of the feathers) thus it may even be possible to avoid the overpowering by sneak attacks. You can easily hear an incoming arrow, without even considering the snap noise of the bow itself, which, even is less loud than the bang of a rifle, is still pretty strong in a silent environment. If the environment is noisy (rain, wind, a waterfall, whatever) it would not be hearable. Yet if there is rain or wind, it is much harder to aim, because the arrow doesn't fly normally.

What I am trying to say is that if this whole thing is approached in the right way, thinking about how it is in reality, it would definitely not be OP, but yet it would add a lot of tactic elements.

Etidorhpa

Post by Etidorhpa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Bow and Arrow might set back the game another 3 yrs. :lol:

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:15 am

Rrrright. Better in OG2 or Lugaru3 then. My nephews will have the pleasure to shoot arrows at wolves I guess.