Race martial arts.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
leontas2007

Race martial arts.

Post by leontas2007 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello everyone.

I have made before one or two years a a similiar topic and I wanted to see if my idea is acceptable from the fan base of overgrowth and the creators.

Well my idea is simple and I am sure that many others have thought the same thing. What I really wanted to see in that game is differend marial arts, in my previous topic many said that this is very difficult but at least the races should have differend styles. It will make the game more alive, it will give the player a reason to chose between a rat or a rabbit or anything else.

So what is your opinion about that?

fluffycud

Re: Race martial arts.

Post by fluffycud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 pm

interesting idea but different martial arts means different fighting styles so some blocks might not work against some fighting styles, will still like to see it in the game though. :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:43 am

It's lots of work. If it wasn't, I think it'd already be in the game, because it's such a cool idea. However, since it's so much work, I wouldn't be surprised if the differences between different races would end up being rather minor.

leontas2007

Post by leontas2007 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 am

Endoperez wrote:It's lots of work. If it wasn't, I think it'd already be in the game, because it's such a cool idea. However, since it's so much work, I wouldn't be surprised if the differences between different races would end up being rather minor.
Well I fear of the same thing. But at least differend moves for eye candy I think it wouldn't be so difficult. As for the block, all races can have 4 or 5 differend block animations for every martial art and just differend move set

Silentzo

Post by Silentzo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

How about just keeping the blocks the same? I personally think they would work for every fighting style.

As for the attack methods, wolves got their own animation(s). So I don't really see why not?
It seems to me that rabbits are really kick-focused so I can imagine other races being able to punch another in the face with maximum efficiency!

(I don't know very much about animating though, so I don't know how hard it would be. But for my uneducated opinion I think it's pretty possible to get some special moves.)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Animation takes time. Making other sorts of attacks probably isn't any harder than it was to make the current animations, but they might not want to dedicate that much time for it. David works really fast though, this set of animations for the one-handed dog sword only took four hours. It seems he made about a dozen new animation files (looking at how many more files there are at 3:52:30 compared to the 0:12:55), and even considering that many of them were variations on the same base movements, that's a lot. :D

A new unarmed martial art style would be, hmm... I'm counting about 14 different animations (7 attacks, 7 blocks), + another 7 for every set of blocked attacks or high/low aimed versions but those are faster than creating the new movements from scratch, + possibly new counter-moves which count at least double because he has to animate both the counterer and countereè.

http://www.twitch.tv/wolfiredavid/b/314259048

DSS_Exemplary

Post by DSS_Exemplary » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:30 pm

I definitely like this idea, but as is, whilst kicking he should turn his hips more to get the power, as it stands he kinda kicks them with hi insole, should be more mua thai shin kick.

But certainly different per race i agree.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:24 am

DSS_Exemplary wrote:I definitely like this idea, but as is, whilst kicking he should turn his hips more to get the power, as it stands he kinda kicks them with hi insole, should be more mua thai shin kick.

But certainly different per race i agree.
If you don't post reference videos or images it's unlikely that people understand the subtle differences between moves.

DSS_Exemplary

Post by DSS_Exemplary » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm

Fair enough i just figured people knew what i was on about