How do i access overgrowth!??!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ThreeClaw

How do i access overgrowth!??!

Post by ThreeClaw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 am

I bought, and downloaded overgrowth, but there's no icon, and I have no clue what to do. Ive looked around in the folders... but im really stumped. Please please HELP!!

APsychonaut

Re: How do i access overgrowth!??!

Post by APsychonaut » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 am

are you running the steam, or stand alone version?

ThreeClaw

Post by ThreeClaw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 am

The stand alone version. :)

last

Post by last » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am

Please register your forum account as a preorderer. You will need this anyway to get access to SUM launcher (not required, but suggested tool) and community content like maps and mods.

ThreeClaw

Post by ThreeClaw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:57 am

Ok. I did. I still don't have the game to use maps, and such though. :(

last

Post by last » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Did you downloaded the game .zip file or you just downloaded .torrent file?
when you downloaded .zip file then you need to extract it first into some place you want to "install" the game.
When you downloaded .torrent file then you need to use torrent program to download the .zip file and then extract it.

APsychonaut

Post by APsychonaut » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Personally, I advise installing steam and firing up Overgrowth via that, as it'll keep it up to date without re-downloading the whole game each time, and have a very convenient launch button.
Failing that, though, go to your overgrowth folder, and double-click the 'Overgrowth.exe' file. Alternately, if you're a beginner computer user, you probably don't have file extensions enabled. As such, you wanna just open 'Overgrowth'. It's a blank executable icon, though - it doesn't have the Overgrowth icon.

last

Post by last » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:52 am

APsychonaut wrote:Personally, I advise installing steam and firing up Overgrowth via that, as it'll keep it up to date without re-downloading the whole game each time, and have a very convenient launch button.
Failing that, though, go to your overgrowth folder, and double-click the 'Overgrowth.exe' file. Alternately, if you're a beginner computer user, you probably don't have file extensions enabled. As such, you wanna just open 'Overgrowth'. It's a blank executable icon, though - it doesn't have the Overgrowth icon.
I am not a big fan of Steam, but at this state of the game it is only able to launch the game.
To update this game you never needed to redownload the whole game install file.
Other thing is SUM launcher, this can update your game without downloading any more data than Steam or with manual update. You see, all the update files are the same.
Difference that there is between Steam and SUM is that David now uses Steam advanced testing system for some fixes that are not yet available through SUM launcher.
The big plus to SUM launcher is of course that you get all the cool community content browser where you can download and install almost all the community made maps and mods.

I want to still remind to you that you can have Steam version and still use SUM launcher to change settings and download new content or even download and install updates.