how to create a video game

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Bunnytime

how to create a video game

Post by Bunnytime » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm

hello guys, I know this is a question that is often asked, I would like to know that editor uses overgrowth, and would like to have a general guideline, I know I'm turning to the top :D

EPR89

Re: how to create a video game

Post by EPR89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I don't think I understand what you are saying.

EDIT:
Alright, here's my theory. You say that this question has probably been asked before, that it involves the editor and creating something. Are you asking how to make a map? Here's a tutorial on that.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14869

or are you asking about the controls of the editor? This video covers most of the stuff you can do.
[YouTube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnHLagHb5E[/YouTube]
Last edited by EPR89 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 pm

EPR89 wrote:I don't think I understand what you are saying.
I second this.

...now that I think about it, I really have no clue.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:45 am

Bunnytime wrote:hello guys, I know this is a question that is often asked, I would like to know that editor uses overgrowth, and would like to have a general guideline, I know I'm turning to the top :D
Here's my guess: "Hello guys, I know that this is a question that is often asked," (but I am going to ask it anyway), "I would like to know which editor overgrowth uses" (this "editor" maybe the coding language as well as the ingame editor) "and would like to have a general guideline about how to use it" (the video provided by EPR89 should be enough in case he asks about the ingame editor), "I know I am going to make something spectacular" (the translation of this last part is a shot in the dark).

In case he asks about the code, sorry but I can't help 'cause I am a total moron about programming.

William

Post by William » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:57 am

Bunnytime wrote:hello guys, I know this is a question that is often asked, I would like to know that editor uses overgrowth, and would like to have a general guideline, I know I'm turning to the top :D
Overgrowth doesn't use a commercially available engine, so you won't be able to use it. However, there are alternatives such as Unity3D which do a pretty good job, and Wolfire used Unity for Receiver.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I hope that helps all the same.

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 am

Not sure if that's what you meant to ask, but here it goes:
wolfire didn't use a ready-made game-design-IDE like unity, they coded their very own openGL 3d engine and overgrowth is based on that.
So there is no game-dev-editor that was used to produce overgrowth, it's all genuine wolfire code.

If you just want to create some maps/assets for overgrowth then there is a number of threads dealing with those topics as well as some information in the wiki.

If you want some in-deep instructions about how to create a 3d game then it gets rather ugly because there is no single way to do this, also there is numerous programming languages you could use (due to fast processors and wrapper libraries even python could do that).
What you basically need is:
-a 3d engine (either self-coded or a ready-made one)
-programs for creating graphics and sound assets
-a programming language of choice to create the game logic and interactive player interface
-a good deal of experience with any of the above

When deciding to use a ready-made engine make very sure what their license agreement looks like before you start doing anything with it or it will come back to bite you one way or the other (eg unity3d free version is rather limited in its features, after all they want to sell their pro stuff).

Bunnytime

Post by Bunnytime » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:47 am

which programming language do you recommend? the good old C + +.. sorry for my english, and thanks for your help

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am

C++ is recommended for game programmers, but if you use existing engine like Unity, you can get by with easier languages.

Do you want to make a game? Use Unity, make games.

Do you want to program awesome but difficult things? Learn C++, make your own engine.

Do you want to learn how to make a good game, a great game (and not a boring, bland, decent game)? Watch Extra Credits. Www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdFw8kvHAY8

Want to make pretty pictures and games? Learn to draw, and/ or use Blender 3D.

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:33 am

Which language to choose largely depends on what you already know, if you're familiar with any of the bigger languages c,c++,c#,java,python then start from there. It also depends on the platform(s) you are targeting, eg if you want to do android apps then java is probably the easiest way to go (though c++ and novadays python are also possible), if you want to do games that run on Win/MacOS/Linux then don't start on Win using directx libraries (also see the directx vs opengl post on the wolfire blog).

If you're a total coding beginner I would suggest python and pygame (2d games) for a start, the language is well structured with no memory management overhead (you'd have to deal with that in c and c++), easy to learn, an interpreter shell which makes for easy debugging and it's cross-platform (without having to deal with platform specific things). You could go on from there to pyOpenGL or pyOGRE or panda3d to handle 3d stuff, but I would recommend you learn some programming techniques (mvc-pattern, test driven development, writing largely reusable code etc) and game design for 2d games first before doing 3d games/apps. The more you are sure of your basics the more robust (and fast) your game will be.
Something very similar could be done with java and then JOGL (for 3d).
Moving on from Java or Python to C++ is not as hard as directly starting with C++ as you get the chance to learn good coding habits and tricks first before having to deal with c-family-specific problems.

That said, there is nothing wrong with c++ (otherwise it wouldn't be an industry standard), but I personally don't consider it a very reasonable first programming language to learn, especially with little or no advice from professional programmers. If you have (much) time on your hands and access to at least one experienced coder who is willing to help you get started then c++ is not a bad choice, only it still won't be an easy (or quick) way into game coding.

Keep in mind that this all is only my very own opinion of things based on my own coding experience with c,c++,java and python (I use the latter 3 in my job), other people may/will see it in a very different way ;¬)

Bunnytime

Post by Bunnytime » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Luckily I have a lot of time to learn, a friend teach me different languages, one more time thank you very much