How canon is the parkour element?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Tain

How canon is the parkour element?

Post by Tain » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Do we have any idea how much parkour is actually part of the overgrowth universe?

Obviously mechanics like the huge jumps and wall jumping have to exist to an extent, but how much are players/map makers abusing the engine to do things that aren't part of the universe?

I know there is probably not a direct answer, but I'd like to discuss it at least.

If they made a movie, or book, would repeated wall jumps to scale super high/cross huge gaps be part of the story?

On one hand, it loses a bit of 'realism' (I know giant fighting rabbits != realism), but it would also seem fitting to include it in the story seeing as a majority of maps include these elements.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: How canon is the parkour element?

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Since I assume it's a rabbit thing, it's probably canon.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Tain wrote: If they made a movie, or book, would repeated wall jumps to scale super high/cross huge gaps be part of the story?
As far as the lore and story goes in Overgrowth, it all starts with the game Lugaru. The campaign is the where you learn of Turner's past and trials. There is quite a bit of parkour in the game.

Also you may want to refer to the Overgrowth Web Comic.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:49 pm

From what I know, Rabbits in the world of Overgrowth & Lugaru are fully capable of jumping as high as in the game. If I remember correctly, the Overgrowth webcomic actually shows a little bit of this.
As far as rabbits running around in convenient crete structures and walljumping everywhere, only a Bruce Lee level of mastery could attain acrobatics like that. Therefore, it's pretty non-canon for Turner to be running around in a bunch of cretes that are organized into a parkour course.
I also find the excessive walljumping a bit non-canon; jumping and probably walljumping is finely canon, but Super Mario World tier amounts of walljumping is just ridiculous.
For example, Red Shards could totally be canon; it doesn't make you do anything like the map Suspension would, or the 'honeycomb' design (where you walljump to run along a big wall in an octagon shape).
This is just my thoughts, and making up for the lack of posts that actually make some damn sense on my end.

cogfactory

Post by cogfactory » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:06 am

Overgrowth's world isn't necessarily our Earth, I think; it could have lower gravity and air pressure, which explains the speed and height of parkour moves in the game. Or, it could just be the different species, which might all have heightened reflexes and strength, which is more likely to be 'canonical'. Maybe I'm wrong in both cases and the exaggerated in-game parkour is just for fun and isn't meant to be explained. Believe whatever you want.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:08 am

The gravity for weapons seems to be just like real life, so there's that.
As a summary to my previous post, the jump height is perfectly canon, but the air controls and Super Mario walljumping isn't.

j4xi23

Post by j4xi23 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

I think they rigged the climbing to be very dynamic, which allows for some expansive variety in situations. So it seems to me the problem is people just aren't creating more realistic climbing environments. I want to make a map that's just a small city to climb in, I'm tired of missing one jump and having to return to the beginning.

RandalAvirett

Post by RandalAvirett » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 am

Maybe not all the parkour "elements" map makers use will be in the game actually, but it might give the developers ideas on how to implement the elements in a more realistic fashion.