Saving Levels

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ihaveanos

Saving Levels

Post by ihaveanos » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm

So I saved a level... Where do I find it? I would like to upload it to sum launcher

Tain

Re: Saving Levels

Post by Tain » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:23 pm

Just clicking "save level" overwrites whatever level you opened. So it'd be in your Data\Levels\whateverFileYouOpened.xml

last

Post by last » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Tain wrote:Just clicking "save level" overwrites whatever level you opened. So it'd be in your Data\Levels\whateverFileYouOpened.xml
It can also be in Data\Levels\project60

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:12 pm

ihaveanos wrote:I would like to upload it to sum launcher
just to be clear you do know you can not upload anything to sum launcher right? you have to post your map in the modding sub forum and wait until Anton has time to add it to sum launcher.

the list of things to be added is long right now so it won't be on right away

Thereafter

Post by Thereafter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm using overgrowth on windows and my data/levels folder is empty besides more empty folders ('arenas', 'Challenge' and 'Projet60'). Do you need any special application such as Microsoft excel to view the files? I can play all the official maps fine via the main menu, but the '+New Level' button doesn't seem to do anything in the editor and 'Save Level' overwrites the official maps.
I'd like to save some of my own custom maps without overwriting the official maps.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 am

Thereafter wrote:I'm using overgrowth on windows and my data/levels folder is empty besides more empty folders ('arenas', 'Challenge' and 'Projet60').
You are looking at the wrong directory. I'll take a guess and say that the Wolfire folder you are looking at is the one in your Documents. The one you want to be looking at is your installation folder. That is the one you have installed the game to if you have gotten it from the forums or your Humble Store page, or the one in your Steam folder if you have installed the game via Steam. The default directory of that one is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Overgrowth\Data.
The default levels are in the Project60 folder. You can place your own levels in the Levels folder and load them through the text field in the main menu by typing the complete filename.
Do you need any special application such as Microsoft excel to view the files?
The levels are saved as xml files. You can read and edit them with any text editor, but I recommend Notepad++. It's free and one of the best editors you can get, especially when you are dealing with code.
I can play all the official maps fine via the main menu, but the '+New Level' button doesn't seem to do anything in the editor and 'Save Level' overwrites the official maps.
I'd like to save some of my own custom maps without overwriting the official maps.
The New Level button has no function yet. Save Level overwrites the map you are currently working on. So if you want to make your own level, copy one of the original maps, paste the file in the Levels folder, rename it and load this file.

Thereafter

Post by Thereafter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:50 am

Thank you so much. Was a great help and it worked.