New Brutality mechanic causes issues in the Arena

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Sprinkle070

New Brutality mechanic causes issues in the Arena

Post by Sprinkle070 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm in the Arena trying to please the crowds and I keep getting disqualified.

I have realized that if I WIN a match and accidentally (or intentionally) hit my downed Opponent I get disqualified.

Whether it be kicking, stabbing, or punching; any physical violence toward the dead is forbidden.

It sort of makes an interesting bit of Lore... but at the same time I'm tired of being bumped down to Zero just because my character attacked someone who was dead before they even hit the floor.

*edit*
I think what is happening is that the Arena has Two States

-- Non-Combat Mode
-- Combat Mode

The Instant you win the game goes into Non-Combat Mode, and there is a set of rules that pertain to this state

My Solution is to have Three States

-- Non-Combat Mode
-- Combat Mode
-- Victory Mode

Victory Mode allowing for the Characters involve to partake in a little Brutality, or have brand new rules for how it works =^_^=
Last edited by Sprinkle070 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

EPR89

Re: New Brutality mechanic causes issues in the Arena

Post by EPR89 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:40 pm

More a workaround, but you can pull an attack by pressing the block button before the move connects.

JT`

Post by JT` » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:00 pm

I get this all the time in this update -- it's incredibly frustrating to be disqualified in a spearfight because the first slash just so happened to be the one that killed him even though I was set up for a combo, and had no idea that the first slash was the finisher until the second move already connected. It just made me ragequit a moment ago. =)

Likewise for a follow-up knee after a throw which just happens to break their neck or something, which is far less reliable than, you know, a knee to the face.

I have confidence it'll be fixed with a grace period or something, though. =)

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 pm

A solution to this could be to allow brutality until the rabbit gets up for the next round, or a least for a few seconds after you kill them.

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Or get rid of the disqualification system all together. Also have another character replace the one that gets killed (not KOed) It always puts me off when another character or I kill some dude, then the next round starts and the guy that died gets right back up.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:39 pm

akazi wrote:Or get rid of the disqualification system all together. Also have another character replace the one that gets killed (not KOed) It always puts me off when another character or I kill some dude, then the next round starts and the guy that died gets right back up.
Or maybe have the dead guy not get replaced or get up at all? I think it would be interesting in an arena mode. Like, in a team battle, you suddenly end up all by yourself, or the other guy on the other team does. Or maybe a fist fight could end in one round… A four way ffa could become a three way… ect.

Skyelur

Post by Skyelur » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:36 pm

This has been frustrating me as well, maybe once the opponent is down, it is 2 seconds to hit him before disqualified.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am

akazi wrote:Or get rid of the disqualification system all together. Also have another character replace the one that gets killed (not KOed) It always puts me off when another character or I kill some dude, then the next round starts and the guy that died gets right back up.
The Disqualification System always annoys me because I get called out for hitting a rabbit a millisecond after it's been knocked about by my teammate, but enemies will occasionally sucker punch me to death before the starting bell with no repercussions.

Sprinkle070

Post by Sprinkle070 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 am

I think what is happening is that the Arena has Two States

-- Non-Combat Mode
-- Combat Mode

The Instant you win the game goes into Non-Combat Mode, and there is a set of rules that pertain to this state

My Solution is to have Three States

-- Non-Combat Mode
-- Combat Mode
-- Victory Mode

Victory Mode allowing for the Characters involve to partake in a little Brutality, or have brand new rules for how it works =^_^=

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 am

I have a mod that experiments with removing disqualification altogether, fixing this issue.

Link is: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31115

I could also release a script fix that just fixes this (it's not hard) without making larger changes, if people really want it.