Advance_testing A207.2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
David
Project Leader

Advance_testing A207.2

Post by David » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 am

Please let me know how this build is working for you. Here are some changes in no particular order:

- Added seamless cubemap toggle (to fix visible lines on some GPUs)
- Updated weapon attachments for challenges since AI no longer grabs weapons in patrol
- No disqualification for arena overkill
- Improved chase AI
- Increased enemy sight distance
- Softened wolf fur normals
- Changed unconscious ragdolls to be more limp
- Characters drop combat stance when enemy is unseen or otherwise not a threat
- Character loading works even if simplification fails
- Cat movement is much quieter
- Enemies are alerted by collision
- Debug keys can be toggled in settings
- Moved all inverse kinematics and local physics animation from engine to script
- Improved leg IK to handle foot orientation and hip movement
- Improved tail physics and tail collision with world geometry
- Calibrated eye morphs so they can look at precise points in space
- Improved animation retargeting
- improved ear physics, ear collision, and idle ear rotation
- better gravity on roll animation
- new walk and sneak animations
- ragdoll physics are more accurate and more efficient
- AI scripts are more optimized to support more simultaneous characters
- fixed Mac text rendering
- improved vertex bone weights for all characters
- breathing animation
- new idle behavior and weight shifting

Korban3

Re: Advance_testing A207.2

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 am

These are pump-tastic.
I like seeing IK moved to scripts, that'll be fun to play with for environment interaction, I think.
Lots of cool stuff, I ought to redeem my Steam key one of these days and actually opt for that uber-update option.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:52 am

Korban3 wrote:These are pump-tastic.
I like seeing IK moved to scripts, that'll be fun to play with for environment interaction, I think.
Lots of cool stuff, I ought to redeem my Steam key one of these days and actually opt for that uber-update option.
Yeah, possibly animated stuff hanging from weapon? Cool! Dunno if that's doable.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 am

That'd be awesome, I didn't even think about that. I'd love to see some tassles on the spear. Would be a really awesome option to break up the motions and animation changes too.

I was thinking along the lines of moving a characters hands onto door knobs and other objects, to have some more interaction. Maybe even doing some stuff like the body drag animation, where the IK is used to open doors or trapdoors, push objects of edges to kill or distract enemies below, I dunno. Tree climbing mechanics? That'd be fun for the cats.

Or, if I ever decided to go another round with a first person and/or gun mod, the scripted IK would be super easy for animating characters to handle weapons.

EDIT: Also, can't wait to see all of the little animation tweaks, like the ears and gravity in the rolls, as well as the idle animation changes. I love all of the animation stuff David churns out. I've been learning a lot from all of it.

EDIT EDIT: I wonder now if the code for the IK chains I used to grab the head position for my first person mod is in the scripts as well now. If it is, it'd be a good chance to fix the crashes that happen with the default version of my script. I never could figure out what the null return value was that would cause it to crash during rolls and flips, when trying to grab index 0 of the head chain. Would love to fix that last bug and move on to a shooter mod in my free time.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:15 am

is it just me or does the player character rotate its head too far over its left shoulder when the camera's in front?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:00 am

now i am waiting for the end of the year for beta!!!

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:23 am

Best update ever: https://vine.co/v/Oi9nXaPJzYT

A few things, when a character is in ragdoll and then recovers to an animation, their is a sudden big drop of frames. So if your ragdolled in mid-air and do a roll to recover the game will drop frame pretty badly. Same with being ragdolled on the ground and rolling out of it or waiting for the character to get up on it's own.
I noticed that while ragdolled you can KO yourself simply by having your characters head hit a bodypart, such as your leg. So lets say I get kicked in the stomach and the force of the kick sends me back, well my body is going to pike and because of it my head hits my knees and KO's me. That alone I feel really causes problems in the way the physics system works while fighting, as it is very easy to do imo. Specifically if your a cat I've found.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:20 pm

akazi wrote:Best update ever: https://vine.co/v/Oi9nXaPJzYT

fromkms

Post by fromkms » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 am

Large distance between your legs and floor when you running or making roll from sloping ground. And drop of frames like akazi said.

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:15 am

fromkms wrote:Large distance between your legs and floor when you running or making roll from sloping ground. And drop of frames like akazi said.
I think the Large distance between your legs and floor when you running or making a roll is supposed to give the effect of a small dive roll. That is what I took it as after I saw it a few times.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:05 am

akazi wrote:I think the Large distance between your legs and floor when you running or making a roll is supposed to give the effect of a small dive roll. That is what I took it as after I saw it a few times.
If it takes seeing it a few times to know what it was supposed to be, it's not good enough. :(

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:18 pm

A video of that would help look into it.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Great Update! Keep up the stupendous work!

fromkms

Post by fromkms » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 pm

David wrote:A video of that would help look into it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwnQvj ... ZLcWc/view

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 pm

I rather like the look of that roll. I think it's just getting used to it being different like that.

I'm not sure about the bounce though. His feet just sort of tap the ground and start going back up suddenly, it's a little jarring in slow motion.