Lag Spikes

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Phylax

Lag Spikes

Post by Phylax » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 am

I know, I know, I can't include the word 'lag' in a title without sounding like a whining child. However, I have tried everything I can to fix this problem, and nothing seems to work. I should note that my computer specs are more than enough to run Overgrowth.

When Alpha 207 was released, it caused all of my vanilla skybox textures to turn to the error texture (purple and black squares). I looked for a solution, and the only thing I could think of was re-installing the game. When it had finished installing, it had fixed my skybox problem. However, every 10 seconds or so, I experience a massive lag spike. Before I re-installed the game I had no lag at all. But now, the game keeps freezing periodically for about 3 seconds, making the game unplayable. I have tried to re-install the game again, because my initial thought was that I had had a corrupted download. But the problem persists.

Yes, I understand that the game is in alpha and needs optimization, but I thought that because I had previously run the game with no lag at all, this case was an exception. If this is a problem that only future optimization can fix, please let me know.

Korban3

Re: Lag Spikes

Post by Korban3 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 am

I would suggest deleting your data caches. Should be in Documents/Wolfire
Not sure it'll work, but give it a try. The game will load super slow the first time after you delete the cache and it should load faster after that. Like I said, no guarantee, but it's worth a shot.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 am

Regarding the skybox issue, I think I have found a workaround. It's a bit finnicky, though.
You have to edit the level's xml file.

An example with a map I am currently working on:
The map used the texture "CloudySunset.tga". If you look in the folder C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Overgrowth\Data\Textures\skies, or wherever your textures are saved in case you haven't installed it via Steam, that file won't be there. Instead, there will be a file called "CloudySunset.tga_converted.dds". I think the game is supposed to convert the file on the fly when loading the map. For some reason this doesn't seem to work anymore in all cases. So what I did was open the level's xml file, look for the reference to the skybox and change the reference to the tga file to the dds file that is actually in the skies-folder. When I next loaded the map it worked again.

Phylax

Post by Phylax » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

I tried deleting my data caches, but it didn't seem to work. Also, thanks for that skybox fix, I'll use that in the future if I get the game working properly.

EDIT: My problem has not been fixed by the release of Alpha 208.

Phylax

Post by Phylax » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:28 am

*Bump

The problem mainly occurs when I move my mouse, and hence shifting the camera. If the camera remains in a constant position, there are no lag spikes.

EDIT: Problem solved, I turned of VSync and it stopped.