model decal effects

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
rabbitchao999

model decal effects

Post by rabbitchao999 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 pm

So now that breathing has been added for NPC and PC models (yaay!) I thought I should remind of a few other things that should be fixed about the models, namely the existing blood decal effects.

Currently, the blood behavior is kinda bizarre. First, the blood decals made by impact (hitting the ground, hitting a fist/paw, etc), is really bad. Most commonly it exists as random squiggles of blood made at the impact site. Not only is that not quite right in a realistic sense (blood seems to come from non orifices wayy too easy, and doesn't look like a head wound), but the squiggles just look dumb, it looks like someone used the rabbit to practice all red modern art. I would suggest either changing the rules for impact effects on models and how the blood is drawn, or change the decal to a black and blue bruise type thing, as that would look better with the squiggles.

Now about the blood itself, two things, one, there should be some sort of difference between the wound and the blood trickle/stream down the body/head/whatever. That would just look good. Also, perhaps, some work should be gone into making sure blood doesn't run where it shouldn't, like blood randomly going up from a face to the hood etc. That one is more minor.

Last, and I'm assuming this is in the works, but blood pools are probably something to add sometime.

And some misc stuff, perhaps when put unconscious, the "squirming around" state should be invoked, just for a little bit. Also, pathfinding for AI still needs some work. Many times I have watched AI struggle to find their way around a rock or a wall.

Anyway, I just had to say those complaints, they don't affect gameplay, but they bother me because I'm weird. Also, I haven't put much thought into the feasibility of what I suggest, nor do I know exactly how the various systems work, so yeah.

But glad we're getting back to updates. I know the team has taken some breaks, but this thing has been in alpha for a loooong time. Still, I always enjoy playing for a couple hours.