Crash A Lot

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Kills_Alone

Crash A Lot

Post by Kills_Alone » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:08 am

Howsit,

I purchased this game for my son yesterday as a late X-Mas present. I setup the resolution and other graphics settings and tested it for ~20 mins last night; I had everything enabled and set to max. Tested a few maps, scenarios with no issues. Had the 360 gamepad plugged in, switched back and forth without any crash issues as well.

So today my son was playing it and it never stops crashing. Doesn't matter what game mode/map we are in. I lowered the AA to 4x and disabled the GPU Skinning option. The game still suffered from crashing although it seemed like it lasted a bit longer before doing so. I wish I could say why exactly, sometimes it happened on maps with other AI, sometimes on maps that we were alone on. Although, I did notice your AI takes over for the player sometimes when at the escape menus so I suppose it could be AI related. I thought perhaps it could be when I restart a match/map, so I played a bit against the AI without restarting and it still crashed after awhile. The time between crashes varies.

Forgot to mention I was getting a solid 59-60 FPS the entire time except for when a match is respawning all the players, I would assume that is AI related.

I just purchased a GTX 750 2GB which runs my games pretty well, much better then the 5770 it replaced. The mobo, CPU, RAM are all just a few months old. I repair PCs for a living so all my drivers, windows updates and such are solid.

SPECS:
-Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
-AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W
-Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
-Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB
-10GB DDR3 PC3-12800I (800MHz)
-550 Watt PSU (this GPU requires less juice then my last)

Here is what the executable said when it crashed:
Overgrowth.exe has stopped working

And here is what was in the DOS terminal:

Code: Select all

Caching skeleton info
Caching skeleton info
Caching skeleton info
Caching skeleton info
Caching skeleton info
Caching skeleton info
Telling characters 566 and 575 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
Telling characters 566 and 576 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
Telling characters 566 and 577 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
Telling characters 575 and 576 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
Telling characters 575 and 577 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
Telling characters 576 and 577 to notice each other.
Received notice message
Received notice message
_

I have verified the game cache through Steam (1 small KB file failed, should have written down the size), and am planning to download the DRM free version when I have the bandwidth/time. Tested after that failed file was fixed and it still crashed after about 5 minutes.

I understand it is still in an alpha state so I am not expecting a miracle fix answer. Did a quick forum search for crash related issues akin to mine and nothing stuck out to me. I really like the game and we want experience it without such issues. Any constructive suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

K_A

Surak

Re: Crash A Lot

Post by Surak » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Since it worked in the beginning you should start by deleting the cache. Just delete the folder Documents/Wolfire/. You can also try to use the advanced_testing version or alpha 207.

Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:38 pm

I saw that cache directory mentioned in another post. However, they said to delete all of the folders under: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data\ and to leave the text files alone.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:16 am

I don't know out of my head what the text files are. I guess the config and something else. I would delete them too, just in case that something in the config causes the problems.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Doesn't the SUM Launcher have a magic 'clear cache' button?