[suggestion] turner learning to fight better

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
rodeje25

[suggestion] turner learning to fight better

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:32 pm

hey all,

i was playing clumsy ninja (a game in wich you need to learn a ninja to fight and other stuff) and i thought it would be cool to have turner learn how to throw a spear and somtimes he fails and sometimes he throws better and sometimes he misses. or he learns how to throw a knife and sometimes he fails and sometimes.... or he learns new moves and sometimes he fails and sometimes....

you get it.

EPR89

Re: [suggestion] turner learning to fight better

Post by EPR89 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:24 pm

I really don't like this sort of randomness inin games. Automatic aiming with a chance to miss is, in my opinion, an example for fake difficulty. The player has no real influence on the success. I'd much more like manual aiming with a skill element. For example adjusting the power of the throw based on how long you hold the button pressed. That way it's the player who learns how to play the game, just likelike it works with the normal combat. It's the player who is responsible for hits and misses, not a random chance calculation running silently inn the background.
In in the close quarters combat the slight influenceinfluence of chance is acceptable. Sometimes you simply don't hit cleanly or your opponent gets his hand in the way. NotNot every hit results inn a knockdown. I actually think that there ate too many knockdowns in Overgrowth. Blumt damage shouldd also be able to bee dealt while both fighters are standing.
A throw is much more final and there are basically only two outcomeses: hit or miss. Leaving that outcome to random chance would bee imcredibly frustrating.

The only thing where I could imagine such a learning approach is learning new moves. At first they are clumsy and slow, after a while you get quicker and the animation more fluid. That would still be really annoying, though. The only way I could ne motivated to swap out a working move with a new one was if that new move was better or had aa specific use. The basic moves in Turner's arsenal alreadydy cover all ranges and arere well balanced regarding speed and targeting.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:24 am

EPR89 wrote:The only thing where I could imagine such a learning approach is learning new moves. At first they are clumsy and slow, after a while you get quicker and the animation more fluid.
Surely this too should be based on skill, though? If they player is new, then they will not be as skilled at the game and so these things will happen organically.

The problem is how a non-random system would work with weapon throwing. I guess you could make the spear 100% likely to hit if the player and target are both standing still and the player holds the q key long enough, and then lower that likelihood if the player or target is moving around a lot or if the player holds the q key for a shorter amount of time. But this would still have an element of perceived randomness to it, even if it was all physics based. As for manual aiming with the mouse, wouldn't that break away a bit from Overgrowth's otherwise completely context-based fighting system?

Duff_Duffington

Post by Duff_Duffington » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I think we're past the point of Turner going back to a novice. This being a sequel to a game where Turner already brutally thrashed the masses. Personally, I just don't think it would make sense. Also I'm not a huge fan of the game dictating my ability. Throwing a random chance to hit on every attempted attack seems problematic to me.

Lugaru was a game based on precision & player ability. The player commands & Turner does. This allowed for some amazingly smooth & hectic battles. There was no lack in challenge in Lugaru. I think in a 3+ on 1 (when you need to be at your best) missing throws, punches, kicks, etc because the game engine wants you too would be a pain in the ass. In certain instances I could see 'chance to fail' being valid. Lugaru did it with thrown weapons while flipping. Scoring a hit with a knife while flipping through the air was satisfying, but never really interfered with the overall game.