Check this out, Overgrowth in a movie

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
elegaro

Check this out, Overgrowth in a movie

Post by elegaro » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:23 am

I was watching this movie and my jaw dropped when I saw a girl playing overgrowth and learning combat from it like with virtual reality shit.

Check it out

Haphead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5NmKYgedQ

Corpsey

Re: Check this out, Overgrowth in a movie

Post by Corpsey » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 am

It looks so wrong that they're using it to train a human, and the Overgrowth characters are all transcendent animals. I mean, it would make more sense if they used UFC game titles, because it at least has MMA attacks/grabs, or at the very least implemented their own humans into the game engine *Shudders*
[+] rant
I had more to say but I don't want to offend anyone... so I'll just leave it at;
This game engine has the ability right now to mod in anything. Any. thing. And they chose to use what looks like the base game, not even a new texture & normal map on turner.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:44 pm

The Haphead creators actually contacted Wolfire for this, IIRC! Yeah, it's super cool.
Corpsey wrote:It looks so wrong that they're using it to train a human, and the Overgrowth characters are all transcendent animals. I mean, it would make more sense if they used UFC game titles, because it at least has MMA attacks/grabs, or at the very least implemented their own humans into the game engine *Shudders*
The problem with that is that they aren't filming a girl fighting like UFC fighters fight. They want to make cool, cinematic fights with lots of mobility. Overgrowth gives the right feeling, so it's used.

The reason they didn't remake the characters into humans is, I assume, the cost. It's not a big-name Hollywood production, so they have to cut corners somewhere.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:04 pm

The first comment summarizes my thoughts.
"Same old sexist shit. Female killing males."
*Braces for devknights*

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Wolfire actually made a shoutout for the Kickstarter campaign of that film.
The comments got quickly overtaken by angry kids taking offense at what David said about Gamer Gate.

Seems like the mob won again. They have successfully talked shit about a project and tried to bury it, and now even people who I suppose to be pretty well-informed when it comes to Overgrowth related projects just now learn about it for the first time.
Now that's true commitment to the ideals in gaming: trying to destroy somewhat related projects because the developer of the game voice an opinion you don't like.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:44 pm

The newest episodes only has 3 thousand views. It's only been out for less than a week, but it's still very low. :(

I wonder if they're doing anything to promote it, market it to a wider audience?

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:22 pm

EPR89 wrote:Wolfire actually made a shoutout for the Kickstarter campaign of that film.
The comments got quickly overtaken by angry kids taking offense at what David said about Gamer Gate.
That's the debatable. The vast majority of comments were about people asking why they wanted us to fund a kickstarter while they so casually jacked our money for Overgrowth.
But hey, GamerGate is the cause of all the world's problems.
But let's ignore the times where feminists did similar things

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:32 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
EPR89 wrote:Wolfire actually made a shoutout for the Kickstarter campaign of that film.
That's the debatable. The vast majority of comments were about people asking why they wanted us to fund a kickstarter while they so casually jacked our money for Overgrowth.
So it was GamerGaters going apeshit and a whole bunch of people who somehow didn't realize that Haphead is not a Wolfire project, even though that was said in the video, written in the video description and on the Kickstarter. I wouldn't put it past the GamerGate crowd who posted on that video to wilfully spread misinformation like that.

Keep feminism out of that. I am not talking about feminism. If you want to vent about that, do it somewhere else.
I am not actively looking for videos that GamerGaters or feminists post lies and insults on in order to discredit the creators, but the vast majority of things I am interested in that have been affected by this sort of behaviour have been hit by GamerGaters.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 am

So... Haphead, huh? Games represented as cool and positive thing? Cool, nice, yes?

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:21 am

Meh, radicals will always exist.. then they act out and get jailed because they couldn't take the emotion that was generated by the creative work? Give me a break... There are so many larger problems in life to worry about than that. So be it, let all the nutters go to jail. Disinterest; it's as simple as that.

Once again, so much more to write but I hate sharing my views... Bottom line is that law exists for a reason, and even creative works need to abide by law. It's not these company's faults sometimes that the writers are basically told that they are to write a script with that exact plot line. The plot obviously sells, and it is a business. All people have to do is show disinterest if they don't like it. In fact, by having this huge media buzz about it, it creates publicity - and even bad publicity is still publicity.. So even the way these people are attempting to shut it down fails so miserably..

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 am

That raises an interesting philosophical question - is the law enforcement the only way to control how people act? Or, is the law the last option when society's norms are ignored?

Law enf. is handling the larger problems in life. If the society as a whole could handle the small things, wouldn't it free the experts to focus on the big things? Society, that is, I and you and us, should solve at least some of the little problems.

If you don't like something, and say so, it sends a message that affects those who hear you. They will remember the aggregate opinions, and expect that sort of reply. Disinterest, ignoring, might cause an idea to not spread, but will not send the message of your dissatisfaction. For example, saying you're bored of a stereotype (women killing men) encourages people to find alternatives. Now, if that stereotype is what the product is sold on, it might mean a market is already full, and something more original is needed.

Is Haphead only about a woman killing men? No. It's about cyberpunk "skill uploads" working via video games, which I think is kinda new. It says games affect the real world. The warrior woman concept is only a part of that.

But the idea that people dislike a woman killing men is a wider concept, and that message can be felt beyond Haphead, in other media projects in the future. And if I, in return, were to disagree with that message, I'd be saying that it's okay to show female characters killing male ones. That message, too, might spread.

No media police will tell anyone to stop doing movies you like... But no fashion police is stopping people from using bowler hats, either, yet they disappeared.

SamW

Post by SamW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: That's the debatable. The vast majority of comments were about people asking why they wanted us to fund a kickstarter while they so casually jacked our money for Overgrowth.
Nobody jacked your money. Wolfire is one of the pioneers of early access (however you feel about the model), and they aren't even the most infamous, yet. That goes to companies like Double Fine and Space Base DF9 etc... Well they could have the most infamously long development time game using early access.

I will be open, here, I got into this game's early access with the Organic Indie Bundle. So I have already got 2 copies of Natural Selection 2 for the money I spent (so I have gotten at least one of the games I purchased). When I spent my money I actually took a look at what wolfire was doing, and what impressed, and pushed me to buy, is David's technical blogs. He no longer has the time to do those types of blogs. I'm not disappointed by that though, the old blogs are still there, (although a bit buried). As for the game, well we still have the alphas, they are still here to download.

Here is the thing. I knew the composition of their team when I paid money to them. And this development time is no surprise to me. There were 2 and now only one code developers, and code takes time. This timeframe is no surprise to me. I knew what I was buying. I can't hold anything against wolfire because I voluntarily gave them money while I knew they would have a hard time to deliver. I still wonder how long they can continue to finance their development, although I believe their involvement in starting humble bundle has them covered for some time to come.

What I am trying to say, is if you feel ripped off by wolfire, then early access and kickstarter isn't for you. You should know what you are giving money for and simply live with your own decisions. Wolfire hasn't misrepresented their game or what they are doing, so people should realize they are self responsible for whatever they spent towards Wolfire.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Not to mention that if you feel ripped off, you can simply send them an email and get a refund.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Endoperez wrote:That raises an interesting philosophical question - is the law enforcement the only way to control how people act? Or, is the law the last option when society's norms are ignored?
This is an interesting question. I think it would have to come down to determining whether or not someone's mind is prepared to be able to suspend disbelief AND understand that what's presented to them isn't fact. Currently the system that is used is "Are you over 14/18?" (depending on the content), and perhaps that isn't enough if people are actually getting upset by creative works - no matter what message it sends. If a person isn't able to realize that what is presented to them is indeed fiction, then they shouldn't be able to watch it. Why? Because they will try to extract a real-world message from something that was never intended to have it's message be taken to the real world.

Although, what sort of test or license that would be, I have no idea. I'm not a psychologist. It would also 1) be very hard to implement worldwide 2) probably cause a lot of debate amongst the people who aren't able to pass the test (most likely, closed-minded individuals) and 3) not be the perfect solution, as people could somehow obtain one illegitimately

I think creative works like this SHOULD be discussed. But death threats? That's too far, and not an opinion! Discussion is completely healthy as long as everyone can agree that the work in the end is in fact, fictional.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Fictional works always influence our opinions, though!

Superman stories are clearly not real, but they say that a perfect man would be kind and always helping others. Zombie stories generally show how people are willing to do unusual things for their own survival. Overgrowth assumes that different people may come into conflict. Pikmin assumes that groups with different abilities support each other.

The influence is usually extremely small, but it is there. Even if the story is fictional, any emotions it creates are real. A sad story makes you sad, and so on. Each work is based on certain base assumptions, and they present a sort of general worldview that may spread through fiction.

For example, and going into something a bit more controversial than the earlier examples, another of Overgrowth's base assumption is that skill trumps natural ability. Exceptional rabbit may outfight a wolf. A different base assumption would result into a game where a lone, renegade wolf protects the rabbits.