Therium-2 - ModDB open!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Therium-2 Sneak Peek thread

Post by halzoid » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:10 am

all I can make out is that there is an asset from Eroded plateau...
as for the next image, I like the idea of seeing them around levels, will probably screw my Fps if theres too many :lol: , but 4-5 would be a cool reminder throughout the level that everything does indeed want to find you...

also "a house in the empry", have you made a whole world of lore?

loving the effort put into everything on these levels and assests...

Ps. anyone who cant read the note on their screen
"This terrorist has been roaming the newly established colony sites, raising panic and attacking multiple people. His intentions are unknown. Very hostile and very dangerous.
If seen report to a guard nearby immediately
REWARD: A HOME IN THE EMPRY"

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Oh yeah, there's a lot of lore.
Even as to how the Cinderbreathe Empire came to exist, their origins, the order of their government, their buildings, civilians, commanders, etc.
I've also made a detailed backstory on Ghost (the main character), going as far to his own childhood, along with a backstory on the colony grounds the Cinderbreathe empire are trying to take.
Most of this won't actually be used, but will be very good for keeping stuff in mind (less plot holes, things feel more realistic, Ghost isn't just an empty character).
There's even a couple plot twists, if you can call it those (really more of just things in the lore or story that you didn't expect).

And of course, I will NOT ever be making bits of the game where it goes out of its own way to explain bits of lore and backstory, because every time any kind of movie or game does this it's so unnatural and awful.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Aww, no "child Ghost" level XD , that's probably for the best, we all know how Assassins creed 3's storyline turned out :lol:

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Terrible Exposition!

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Although here's a good example of what I mean by "Going out of its way to explain lore and backstory": a clip of the movie Snowpiercer, which is basically Elysium on a train.

Every single character just kinda walks straight into a kindergarten and just kinda stand around for a while just so that the kids can all preach the Engine (which is the thing keeping them all alive).
After this scene, the kids all watch a little movie on how the creator of the Engine made stuff and saved humanity.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I'm avoiding: Exposition that butts its way into the plotline. Of course, it's different for both video games and movies, but still. I want the player to pick up on details like these through the existing narrative, mechanics, settings and notes scattered around the place (along with what characters say, their actions, decisions, tones, memories, etc).
And of course, the player won't be able to piece literally everything about the Cinderbreathe empire. If I placed enough notes EVERYWHERE that all tell you about the lore, it'd be a huge mess and would lack a lot of explanation.

I'll also make sure that any exposition of any kind isn't a terrible text dump, which is another aspect of that kindergarten scene from Snowpiercelysiumonatrain.
You'll learn about the characters and their personalities from what you see, and not what is told directly to you. I'm gonna make sure that philosophy is maintained through the whole entire campaign.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:35 pm

By the way, something that's actually noteworthy is the fact that you can use all of the prefabs in Therium-2's data folder to make your own campaign much easier, including some shelves, a barrel shelf, a very good looking crate object, some ice (for where water would be except it's super coold), everything that went into making Therium-2. I'm also probably gonna be making a whole lot of other textures for characters, and maybe even some improved textures for terrain and objects.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

This gon' be one heck of a showdown...

Post by Constance » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Just so happened to make a totally badass screenshot...

Post by Constance » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:13 pm

SlipperyFist

Post by SlipperyFist » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:47 am

I haven't been this excited for OG since I bought it, super looking forward with this it looks great

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:55 am

And by the way, this campaign will most definitely NOT be in development hell. Every day I make good progress, and that showdown screenshot (with the joshua trees) was of an environment made in about an hour or two, so I can easily and reliably get work done and I have no roadblocks in sight.
Of course, there's gonna be school starting up soon, but I'll still be working on Therium-2 every day. It's not as a sorta commitment thing, it's more of just something that I spend time on. You will actually all be able to play this campaign sooner or later in its full splendor.
Also keep in mind that I'm gonna be keeping a close eye for details, proper pacing, level flow, design, difficulty and aesthetics, so it's gonna take quite a while. I've been working on Therium-2 for about 5-6 months now, and I'm not really gonna stop, unless suddenly every single component of my creativity is just absolutely bombed.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Dave mentioned the interior lighting being developed, so your interior levels will look even better ^^

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:25 pm

grindgrain wrote:Dave mentioned the interior lighting being developed, so your interior levels will look even better ^^
Hopefully stealth will be improved and you can hide in shadows. God, I'd make a whole new campaign just for that mechanic.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Og weekly will start in half an hour sooo there's a good chance to ask about it :D
that'd be siiick....
and guards with torches that will affect the shadows and your hiding places for example

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:36 pm

and um...
i really hope that won't sound like bragging but i could at least try to support your ideas with music, or ambient soundscapes.

i don't know why i'm even mentioning that. i guess just wanna be actually useful, instead of giving banal "advices" that worth nothing and won't make any difference

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:38 pm

grindgrain wrote:and um...
i really hope that wouldn't sound like bragging but i could at least try to support your ideas with music, or ambient soundscapes.

i don't know why i'm even mentioning that. i guess just wanna be actually useful, instead of giving banal "advices" that worth nothing and won't make any difference
It actually would help me out. There are some parts where it would help the atmosphere. I do need a tense, quiet atmospheric song that would help to introduce some really tough enemies, along with a few other requests.
This'll actually help me out.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:41 pm

oh really?! :shock:
sick!!!
can you give me a screenshot of the scene or something to imagine the situation better?