Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Silverfish

Re: Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:25 am

Dammasta wrote:I think we should have a sticky thread in this forum that lists all the latest news, and gives explanation as to when the next update is coming and why it hasn't come yet. All questions regarding the updates can be put in this thread. So that all threads started saying "where is next update??!?" can be locked or deleted. That would clear up the SPF, and put all the information in one tidy spot.
I thought about it for a while because I thought it sounded like a good idea. But I think that the blog pretty much is that post that show the latest news. Sure not all of it, like Twitter and so on, but it should be sufficient I think. When OGW starts going again next week it will have a written summary in addition to the video, and we always talk about what's been happening in the development recently in them.

It would be useful in a way to clear out the "where is the next alpha!?!?" posts, but it's also not that hard to just link the person to the information they ask for and kindly ask them to use the search feature if that is relevant.

Out of the 40 posts on the front page I think I counted three or four posts on this topic, so it might not be that big of an issue right now, and I think it's going to be even less of an issue once development information starts rolling out more frequently on the blog.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:11 pm

Autious wrote:Endo, there is no point in punishing a person in any way that is intending on behaving well. We should instead promote the new behaviour. And as for any one else that behaves rudely, the same thing applies. It's inherently hard to change your own behavior and we should do what we can to make it easy.
All you say makes sense, but I haven't really thought about how hard it'd be to change one's behaviour in a case like this. Thanks for the pointer. I don't know if I've managed to grok it well enough for it to actually change how I act. Then again,that was kinda your point...

Slycan

Post by Slycan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:16 pm

As Dammasta and Silverfish have said, in short, this behavior of understandable frustration from older members VS. understandable confusion from new members could easily be avoided with more communication from the Dev Team, not just on the blog every 3+ months or so, but on the forum itself, since this is where the post are at of course. Also I agree Autious, I should never throw a name out like I did, it's not really *******'s fault either. It's lack of communication, as with any relationship as I said, whether with couples, families, communities, etc. Lack of it makes people say or do stupid things.

I hope Wolfie can uplift this situation soon.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:13 am

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:02 am

It's a good thing then, Slycan, that both Autious and I are quite active on these forums now! :) I'm an intern at Wolfire and Autious just got hired.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Glabbit wrote:This thread makes me happy.
That is not allowed, Glabbit. As Veterans of this community we are entitled to be arrogant and grumpy.

And be no help what so ever to anyone ever.

We earned it dammit.

not really don't hurt me

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 am

Silverfish wrote:It's a good thing then, Slycan, that both Autious and I are quite active on these forums now! :) I'm an intern at Wolfire and Autious just got hired.
That's awesome to hear. Good luck with your new job.

Blackavar

Post by Blackavar » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Things would be a lot better if David communicated, even if updates weren't coming out. David's last tweet was August 29th, and the last bit of actual Overgrowth new information from him was August 10th (and that tweet just showed off some funny lighting things).

He wanted fire effects and staff fighting for the Lugaru port, where are those features? If they haven't been started yet, it'd be nice if David were at least honest about it, and if those features have been completed, why not SHOW THEM OFF and tell us what else still needs to be done for the Lugaru port to be "complete"?

I want David to hype me up for updates. There's nothing more pleasing than looking in my Youtube subscriptions and seeing Overgrowth Alpha 2XX Changes in there.

But right now, while I am hopeful for the next update, I don't really even think about it except for the passing occasion where I come on here (in vain) to see if the smallest blogpost has been posted.

TL;DR david please communicate, radio silence does not = hype or fan appreciation

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 am

Hahaha, underthedeep, sometimes you say these fantastic things.

Oh, er, I mean, humbug, grumble, no updates in ages, upstart little jimmies all over our lawn.
...No, no, doesn't quite work, I'm not really feeling the grump.
I'm still pretty hyped.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:20 am

18 part-timers confirmed and silverfish is intern WOOOW... If that doesn't get you on the hype train i should probably start digging my own grave....

i actually have no idea what i'm saying... I REFUSE TO TAKE MY MEDICATION DAD NOW GO AWAY!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:07 am

*chases rodeje around the room waving his cane in one hand and a dose of melatonin in the other*

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:12 am

Glabbit wrote:*chases rodeje around the room waving his cane in one hand and a dose of melatonin in the other*
Stop making me laugh in the middle of my class!

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:58 am

I think everyone's nerves have gotten a little frayed over the last few months.

Clearly what this forum needs is a nice soothing round of "This Game Needs Archery and Dismemberment". :mrgreen:

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Uhm....I still feel the assholism in this forum, and I am an oldie, I am actually quite kind to people, it's a bit unfair to point out that it's the older members who are the rude ones. Man, it ain't like how it used to be. I remember when OG was booming with people wanting to find new ways to do things, people were nicer, more informational and actually wanted others to learn things and help out, hell even want to help out on projects (remember when we all wanted to help out Adridge on that bear clan character and BlackStormy was helping out and everyone wanted to know how to do it). Now I am afraid to ask a noob question without the impression of sounding like someone's peasant. I admit there are some things I do and don't know, but damn, why yall gotta be soo ruudee (song played).......

Getting back on topic, Yeah even though I am like a whole month late (forgive me senpai) but I tried to do something that will make everything the way it used to be like try to make a Long Waited MP mod (Again CONGRATS Surak and Gyrth) I actually admire Gyrth for a long time and Markuss because they made the best maps and It inspired me to do a lot of things, unfortunately, I ended up doing it for other games because the community was more accepting and they even taught me some things. I come back here and I just feel uncomfortable. I want to help Surak and Gyrth with the MP mod, but I am feeling a bit discouraged by the community, I actually want to close all the threads I made because I feel like a failure. I never actually completed any of my projects on here. All that I see is a bunch of random maps, strange questions, repeated ideas, and insults. Maybe I am still holding on to the old ways on OG back when OG was updated every week, hearing Aubrey's art asset overviews. Admiring David because he would crank out an new engine and a.i tricks weekly. Things just changed and I am not sure if it is even for the better, I used to play this game religiously it wasn't until a friend of mine told me about OG he bought a while back that I started to come back, and now as seeing how you are shamed not knowing how to do something makes it hard for me to love this any more. What do you all think? I may have just poured my heart out in this post.

Surak

Post by Surak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:26 am

vallejo18 wrote:Getting back on topic, Yeah even though I am like a whole month late (forgive me senpai) but I tried to do something that will make everything the way it used to be like try to make a Long Waited MP mod (Again CONGRATS Surak and Gyrth) I actually admire Gyrth for a long time and Markuss because they made the best maps and It inspired me to do a lot of things, unfortunately, I ended up doing it for other games because the community was more accepting and they even taught me some things. I come back here and I just feel uncomfortable. I want to help Surak and Gyrth with the MP mod, but I am feeling a bit discouraged by the community
We are happy to answer your questions that come up along the way. What we can not do is hold your hand and walk you through the complete process, because it is an ongoing process and we already have barely time to make the mod.

The only real requirement to work on the mod is to use Github, because our whole software development infrastructure is build around it. But instead of using this basic requirement you write like 1000 words why you don't want to use it ("inconvenient", "It's a matter of convenience not unwillingness to learn"). To me that is pretty rude. We try to be helpful, but if your first reaction is "i don't want to do that, it's inconvenient for me" what do you expect us to do?