Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Slycan

Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

Post by Slycan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:05 pm

I've posted something like this before, but ended up pussing out and deleting it last minute before anyone could post a reply. Why? Because 90% of you guys are ( I hate to say this so bluntly though but..) absolute utter assholes, and I used to be, honestly, afraid of posting here because of some of your attitudes. This needs to be said though.

I know some of you older OG members are pulling your hair out with all these threads about " lack of updates". Why can't people just scroll down a few threads and read, right? Why can't they watch and/or wait for the next OG Weekly for news about the up coming Dev Team, yes? I think I can explain why, but it will require patience and understanding of the situation.

Now for starters, let's not forget the game you guys love has been released to a HUGE gaming community known as Steam recently. Of course there's going to be a flux of new members wondering what's going on. These members, and most of steam ( or any gaming community for that matter for the most part) are not as used to these slow downs in development as you guys have become accustom to. This is effecting the rating for OG, and how new people view the game, which brings me to my next point..

Telling David's INCOME to literally " STFU and wait","Get a REFUND and GTFO". Wow,really guys? This is not verbatim but this is the jist of what I read. Some of you are telling David's potential new fans/members to basically chop their tongue off and obey orders, or just leave. You guys are better than this, I've seen how awesome and nice you guys can be.

This one is specifically at **********. I hate to call out people but you are one the absolute worse persons on this forum. I have read your comment history and almost everything you have said toward new members with their worrisome update threads has been either super aggressive, or down right insulting. Let me tell you something, your "David Senpai" probably doesn't want you going around telling his customers to SHUT UP. Look, dude, I understand you are frustrated, but calm down with that crap. You want to help OG forum out, how about post information, useful links, video's, and stop raging over the internet about silly repeater threads. There's obviously a reason for these threads.

This goes for the rest of us as well. This is turning into a very toxic community, and the way I see it, the moderators ( if there are any?) don't seem to even care anymore. Guys, these new members aren't asking for updates, they are not demanding a finished game. They are just asking for some damn communication and knowing what's going on, which there's been a major lack of. I mean, can you guys honestly even blame them at this point?

Props to those who stick around and actually try to give real information that's useful for these curious members about the update slow-downs.
Last edited by Slycan on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

samjb1992

Re: Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:31 pm

I agree with you completely, some of the other veterans of this forum are just hostile and rude. there are a few people I notice are just down right mean and cause this to be a "toxic" community. I thinks fine to post info about the game and it progress but you don't have to insult and humiliate new users for not knowing. Maybe if this such a problem someone should get a topic going that helps keep track of info on dev and things like the next Q&A dates and such. in short manners need to come first even on the internet

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm less active on the question threads than I used to be, but I recognize the behaviour. I've also spoken against it.

People who are frustrated and speaking out are fully in their rights to do so. They are not wrong. It's perfectly normal and right to feel frustrated, even angry, if things are not going as they thought they would. Telling people that they FEEL WRONG is stupid. Feelings are inherently irrational.

Refuting their claims, such as that the game has been abandoned, is okay. This should be done calmly and politely, as should everything else.

Refuting their feelings continues to be stupid.

Surak

Post by Surak » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:54 pm

I agree in general, I just think the numbers are inaccurate. I do not think that the majority behaves this way, but some people certainly do.
Endoperez wrote:Refuting their claims, such as that the game has been abandoned, is okay. This should be done calmly and politely, as should everything else.
Amen.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Woah! David is NOT my senpai. And since other forum members complained about the way i react to these posts i changed my comments. And will not react like that ever again on any kind of forum.
i kinda feel extra horrible now because people still talk about stuff i wish i never did

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:27 pm

My $.02 people just need to chill.

While I agree duplicate threads is annoying and seeing people constantly asking the same things does get frustrating the only way that will ever stop is if people try to educate the ones that are new. Now I'm relatively new to this game and forums but I also spent about a week or two (maybe an hour or so a day) finding everything I could about this game either from the open forum on here to all the video , etc etc. Do I expect everyone to spend as much time as I did? No. I do expect them to spend some time though looking into the game and have at least a little bit of an understanding of where things are.

I also think a lot of the "why no updates/info" threads have the same kinda aggressive tone that many people respond with, which doesn't help things.

Basically everyone needs to just chill out, relax and have some respect for yourself and then you will get respect from others.

Also just a bit of advice, always read what you are going to post before you do it. That way you can tell what the tone of it is and you might be able to say "well that sounds a bit mean maybe if I say it this way it will be better."

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote:Also just a bit of advice, always read what you are going to post before you do it. That way you can tell what the tone of it is and you might be able to say "well that sounds a bit mean maybe if I say it this way it will be better."
This was one of my problems and that i was an asshole towards te duplicate thread makers. Also i think this post is just pure frustration. I get that you're frustrated but really fighting fire with fire isn't gonna solve anything.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 pm

rodeje25 wrote: This was one of my problems and that i was an asshole towards te duplicate thread makers. Also i think this post is just pure frustration. I get that you're frustrated but really fighting fire with fire isn't gonna solve anything.
he was just pointing out that peoples behavior was getting out bounds, not trying to start conflict. everyone just needs to be a little more patient with new comers and such

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 pm

samjb1992 wrote:
rodeje25 wrote: This was one of my problems and that i was an asshole towards te duplicate thread makers. Also i think this post is just pure frustration. I get that you're frustrated but really fighting fire with fire isn't gonna solve anything.
he was just pointing out that peoples behavior was getting out bounds, not trying to start conflict. everyone just needs to be a little more patient with new comers and such
If you don't want to start a conflict tou definitly shouldn't go around an call people horrible.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 am

I agree that Slycan's post does contain frustration, however the intentions are clearly good. I think we all are aware of the problems brought up and I think that if we all try to be as awesome as possible, we can make the experience of newcomers here really nice! :)

It's great that you have decided to be nicer towards those who frustrate you rodeje, it goes a long way towards giving this forum a better tone! ^^

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:38 am

rodeje25 wrote: If you don't want to start a conflict tou definitly shouldn't go around an call people horrible.
So what should he do now?

Let us assume that his post is just as bad as the posts he critisizes.

If he should edit his post to change the tone, shouldn't everyone who has written angry replies to complaint threads go back to edit their posts too?

If he should apologize, shouldn't everyone who has written angry replies to complaint threads go back and apologise?

If he gets off with as warning and a "please don't do this again", he made his point and no one will posts angry replies to any threads, right?

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:31 am

rodeje, good job changing your tone, it's admirable. You don't get enough cred for it, it's really hard to step back and deal with.

Endo, there is no point in punishing a person in any way that is intending on behaving well. We should instead promote the new behaviour. And as for any one else that behaves rudely, the same thing applies. It's inherently hard to change your own behavior and we should do what we can to make it easy.

Edit: Slycan, please consider not hanging someone out to dry publicly like this. It can have unintended consequences. We have all seen general frustration directed at individuals on the internet, and they never deserve it.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 am

This thread makes me happy.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 am

Endoperez wrote:
rodeje25 wrote: If you don't want to start a conflict tou definitly shouldn't go around an call people horrible.
So what should he do now?

Let us assume that his post is just as bad as the posts he critisizes.

If he should edit his post to change the tone, shouldn't everyone who has written angry replies to complaint threads go back to edit their posts too?

If he should apologize, shouldn't everyone who has written angry replies to complaint threads go back and apologise?

If he gets off with as warning and a "please don't do this again", he made his point and no one will posts angry replies to any threads, right?
I edited the rude parts out of my posts already when others started conplaining

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

I will own up to being rude to people, I have no excuse and apologize to this community for failing to be a productive or helpful member.

I think we should have a sticky thread in this forum that lists all the latest news, and gives explanation as to when the next update is coming and why it hasn't come yet. All questions regarding the updates can be put in this thread. So that all threads started saying "where is next update??!?" can be locked or deleted. That would clear up the SPF, and put all the information in one tidy spot.