global illumination idea

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Thomason1005

global illumination idea

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:16 am

so i have to say im a bit disappointed with the gloabal gi solution, i kindof expected more when i msaw that comparison twitter shot.

what i came across is sonic ethers gi approach which he uses in his minecraft mod and unity asset.

it basically just renders the shadow map with colored shaders(the standard shaders propably) and then raytraces in this image for each pixel.
its far more performant than all of these cubemaps you have to throw around and i think a bit more precise. although it dosnt give such nice reflections.
shouldnt be too hard to integrate in overgrowth as it doesnt need to be dynamic, so it could be just the prepass when loading the game and then when the level is modified (basically change the shader for these and increase the buffer channels to rgba.

it has a problem with not allowing indirect shadows, but cubemaps dont do that either and have far more problems with blending between them

anyway its just an idea i had, idk if david is willing to throw his gi work away and redo it, propably not.

i might try to make it a mod but i dont think i can extend the buffer to rgba...

David
Project Leader

Re: global illumination idea

Post by David » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:49 am

Thanks for linking to that video, it looks really cool! My method is very fast as well though, and doesn't suffer from the drawbacks of that one (only one bounce, only directional light, no indirect shadows or occlusion). It can handle emissive surfaces, and combines well with decals and dynamic lights. These advantages will become more apparent in future updates.

Thomason1005

Re: global illumination idea

Post by Thomason1005 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:58 am

well if you say so im believing you. it seemed to me like it was just some cubemap blending but looks like i was wrong then.
sorry for making wrong assumptions