Nitpicks

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Nitpicks

Post by Constance » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Because everyone on this forum isn't an asshole, and everyone's perfectly aware that this game is in preorder stage, we let a lot of little details slide by (not counting crashes and bugs).

None of it is relevant, large or important in the slightest. But if nobody mentions it, the devs might be completely unaware of these game breaking bugs.

So, of course, I decided to be more nitpicky than a Skyrim modder, and I compiled this list of small, irrelevant details that can be ironed out or fixed to have a bit more polish in the game.

Take this list with a grain of salt; this is an absolutely irrelevant list in the grand scheme of things, and overall, none of this matters right now.

As of a225...

• 1: Unsheathing a weapon while crouched will clip through your fist & knife through your leg.
    2: Pressing the Pause button while time is frozen (double TAB) doesn't do anything.
    3: Dragging corpses can get stuck extremely easily.
    4: Rolling right as you hit a wall doesn't ragdoll you like rolling onto the ground.
    5: Ledge climbing round objects can be a pain in the tush.
    6: All species make the same alert & combat sounds. <-- this is totally incorrect, species have different sound effects and i'm stupid
    7: There's no animation for dropping weapons.
    8: Character LODs in the Dialogue Editor & Dialogue playback are still dependant on the camera's position.
    9: The only way to tell exactly how much a character is damaged is whether or not they're bleeding.
    10: When a character dies to a lethal weapon, they don't go limp.
    11: There's no point at all to using SPACE to walljump when you can press SHIFT, which is better in every way.
    12: Flipping doesn't accomplish anything.
    13: Shadow resolutions don't smoothly transition based on distance.
    14: Dialogue doesn't work very well with splitscreen.
    15: Armour doesn't make any difference when you hit or strike them with a weapon.
    16: Walking up steep hills is irrelevant when you can spam Jump, which breaks immersion.
    17: The text in the Credits aren't centered right. Completely fine since the Credits aren't actually finished.
    18: Characters will be alerted by other ally footsteps.
    19: Characters will pronounce periods, commas, spaces and punctuation marks in their lip sync movements.

This isn't a criticism of any sorts. This is just a list to make sure these tiny oversights don't go unnoticed.
I'll add to this list whenever I think of something or something comes up.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Nitpicks

Post by Constance » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm

• 20: When a dialogue is finished with the last line having the actor's eyes closed, their eyes will remain closed in gameplay.
    21: Hanging Garden has random occasional red dots on its textures.
    22: Characters will use the old crouch-walk animation while holding a weapon.
    23: As of a226.dev, sound effects in slow motion won't be slowed down.
    24: Is this rabbit makeup?
    25: As of a225, ice on Impressive Mountains is no longer slide-y.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:43 pm

I think that might actually be rabbit makeup.

Side note: I want blood effects if dogs ever get a bite ability in the near future.

xweert123

Post by xweert123 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: Side note: I want blood effects if dogs ever get a bite ability in the near future.
Oh my god that sounds 10/10

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:01 am

I just wanted to let you know, Timbles, that this thread is quite useful to us. Thank you!

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:07 pm

14.5: Water doesn't look amazing when playing Splitscreen...
OvergrowthScreenshot00010.jpg
Last edited by halzoid on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:12 pm

• 26: Ears wiggle while jumping.
    27: Camera shake (from getting hit) is still active when time is frozen.
    28: Footstep audio on wood is too quiet.
    29: (I feel like this is too big to be a nitpick, but I might as well add it.) Enemies take way too long to notice you for stealth to actually be challenging.
    30: This might not be makeup?
    31: Dragging bodies is way too slow to be practical (I'd suggest MGS style carrying bodies).
    32: When AI is knocked off a huge ledge (big, not big enough to kill them from fall damage), they'll survive and just get stuck at the bottom. (maybe make it if the drop is too big or they were stealth-attacked, AI doesn't right themselves back up with a flip?)
    33: Lipsync in dialogue is nothing but "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah" (Considering that there's already a simple lipsync system where you can type the syllables, it should be really easy to make the script read your dialogue and convert it to lipsync).
    34: Debug keys still function while typing in the Dialogue editor.
    35: Character parameters are still limited to 0.1 to 2.0
    36: Interactive weapons' colours are desaturated and ugly.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:17 pm

• 37: Your character can no longer look at the camera like in older alphas (I'm sure many people preferred it), but running or walking will still target the character's look direction to your running direction. (I'd say either make the character look where the camera's pointing while they're running, or keep it like it was in older alphas). It can look pretty weird.
    38: Taking a smaller/larger enemy into a chokehold like a cat, rat or dog makes the animation all kinds of messed up.
    39: Glaives are ridiculously overpowered: as fast as a knife, instant kill and extremely easy to use.
    40: Stepping in water doesn't make splash particles.
    41: Roundhouse kicks against smaller opponents like rats would either be useless, or would only hit the face.
    42: Cats don't have pain and attack sounds.
    43: Auto-Camera focuses on corpses and makes parkour difficult after combat.
    44: There's no animation for walljumping (with SPACE), unlike Lugaru.
    45: The tutorial doesn't display rebound and gamepad controls.
    46: The animation for slowly crouch-walking (via use of gamepad) might be open to improvement.
    47: For some reason, attacking smaller enemies like rats increases knockback by a lot. The rabbit player's parameters in this gif are completely unmodified.
It's a whole lot easier to nitpick than I thought it would be.

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Timbles wrote:
  • 37: Your character can no longer look at the camera like in older alphas (I'm sure many people preferred it), but running or walking will still target the character's look direction to your running direction. (I'd say either make the character look where the camera's pointing while they're running, or keep it like it was in older alphas). It can look pretty weird.
it kind of makes sense the way it is now, your character looks in the direction the camera is looking. when running he has to face forward to move forward, right? I kind of get why it can look weird though.
46: The animation for slowly crouch-walking (via use of gamepad) might be open to improvement.
He looks like he takes incremental steps, that to me seems realistic and imo looks nice.
47: For some reason, attacking smaller enemies like rats increases knockback by a lot. The rabbit player's parameters in this gif are completely unmodified.[/list]
I think this is because A, the character is smaller then the rabbit and lighter so they get kicked farther. And B, I think bone mass has something to do with it. There is a small bug with this though. since mass is smaller that also means damage done to the character is smaller as well and takes a while to kill/KO compared to lets say the wolf that is much bigger and the bone mass I think is more. the wolfs die very easily and looks wrong. You can get by the damage difference by going into properties (U) and setting damage resistance to something that fits each character. Would be nice if the bug was fixed though. ( I should report this :P )

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:51 am

akazi wrote:
Timbles wrote:
it kind of makes sense the way it is now, your character looks in the direction the camera is looking. when running he has to face forward to move forward, right? I kind of get why it can look weird though.
An advanced solution to this could be to make the character face the other direction once the range of motion for the head is reaching its limits. It could use the fighting stance shuffle. The character would definitely have to move slower in this scenario.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:57 pm

• 48: Weapons look awful compared to their static object versions.
    49: Most wooden objects make stone footstep sounds.
    50: 'Load Level', 'New Level', and 'Rigging Tool' buttons in the Editor are still there when they don't actually do anything.
    51: The icons for the different characters in the Arena Mode have pretty awful cropping. (Pretty irrelevant since this'll be cut out.)
    52: Having Nav Mesh Hints, Jump Nodes and Regions enabled severely affects framerate.
    53: Does the official_alpha testing have mouse acceleration? It really feels like it and it's absolutely gutwrenching.
    54: At certain angles, decals can get interrupted by the object's normal map (or colour map?). Can be used to good effect at certain points, but more often than not looks ugly.
    55: The pause button on the gamepad doesn't do anything.
    56: The Left Trigger button on the gamepad is a bit too imprecise to block attacks (personally I use Left Bumper, Dark Souls style).
    57: Getting knocked out while mid-dodge triggers the 'ghost' bug, where you're alive but the game thinks you're dead (it's too rare to actually be any bigger than a nitpick, but maybe it could be a crazy cool speedrun strat later on).
    58: Given enough work, you can basically jump up any cliff, regardless of steepness. It'd be pretty tricky to fix this without unwanted side effects.
    59: There's no options for gamepad camera sensitivity.
And now, for the most absolutely irrelevant, boring, shallow, deprived, unimportant nitpick of all time...
  • 60: The RGB (colour on button-press) features on the Logitech G810 don't work with Overgrowth.

This is actually a pretty big deal, since RGB means that I can be better at the game and create bug reports and mediocre Overgrowth levels even faster than any average human could. I'm good at video games because my keyboard lights up when I press buttons.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:03 pm

• 61: The Nav Mesh region object cannot be rotated.
    62: Only one Nav Mesh region object functions at a time. If you place two of them, only the first region will actually function.
    63: Not actually a nitpick, but has anyone else tried blocking RIGHT before you throw a weapon? I'm pretty sure it also makes it harder for the AI to block.
    64: Plants aren't lit by dynamic lights.
    65: Favouriting objects on the object spawner doesn't actually save your favourites permanently.
    66: Toggling Recording in the Dialogue Editor drops your framerate by 30, possibly more depending on how large the scene is.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:11 pm

61 and 62 are restrictions of the underlying navmesh library. I would love to have multiple areas, and considered it for a while but it was too much work (there are a lot of things you have to balance when you have a limited budget ;) ).

Additionally the limitation for 61 comes from the clipping being axis bound (AABB).

But besides that, having a smaller areas was primarily a quick fix to shorten the navmesh calculation times for arenas.

Personally, while i was developing the jump nodes, the build time started bothering me quite deeply, so i added it as a quick fix.

(So there's a little insight into the day of a programmer).

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:39 pm

• 63: Feet can stand on air (I'd imagine procedural animation moving around a character's stance to fit on tight walkways would actually be pretty damn cool).
    64: Larger enemies and characters can very easily fall through the ground via flipping out of their ragdoll state.
    65: Fire is never extinguished from a character after they die.
    66: There's still no special animation for walking through bushes and plants.
    67: Enemies can still see you if you try to hide inside a bush.
    67a: There's no stealth takedown to instantly kill the enemy for when they walk by the bush.
    68: Entering the Parameters of a dialogue object will reset and destroy all the lines of dialogue inside of it.
    69: There's no delay for typing multiple characters in the dialogue line editor (as in, you tap the 'a' key once and it spews two 'a's because you held it for a few frames too long).
    70: Luring enemies to jump to where you are (via jump nodes) very easily sets them up for a dropkick.
    71: Blocking to stand up while on the ground makes no real life physics sense (I don't care, it adds so much to the gameplay).
    72: You can select the sun and edit it through walls.
    73: There's no blood or claw marks for when a wolf claws you.
    74: Wolves don't really even claw you as much as they super-slap you (intentional?).
    75: I am become Grassy Beach, destroyer of framerates.
    76: You can't shimmy around ledges that you can't climb (a mod fixed this at some point and it was awesome, but it got outdated. Personally if this were an official feature it'd give a whole lot more options to freeroaming courses).
    77: The game's not finished. Pls fix.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 pm

ill add some things that bothered me
78: when you are in editor inside a big object group (p.e. arena) and click on the sun, it will select the group instead of the sun (although there is no object between you & the sun).
in fact, selecting anything from inside a group is a pain
79: the sun has very few settings, i cant set a custom color. size and shadow intensity cant be changed individually
80: theres no more depth buffer for post processing
81: countering a counter move has no animation, it just goes back to standing, very confusing for the one who countered first (its not woorking)
82: large decals still drop framerate and have display errors
83: theres no vertical split option for splitscreen
84: placing light probes places them exactly on the surface i clicked, sometimes they then render the inside of the object, so i have to move every light probe i make a bit. cant it just place it 1 inch above the surface?
85: for every floor light probe i need to place a copy light probe inside the floor to have the floor/wall actually be affected by it. would be nice if they had some range / size. the reflection probes have a size, dont they?
86: there seem to be far less active modders
87: receiver 2 should be a thing
88: under glass hasnt been released
89: there hasnt been a jam game in quite a time, you should really do one again