Few doubts related to Steam

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Devilsclub

Few doubts related to Steam

Post by Devilsclub » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Let me begin by saying that this probably has been asked before, however I was unable to find any solid answers to my doubts.
If this is infact very similar to a previous post, feel free to link me to that thread, and let this post die/be deleted.

So, as the title mentions, I have some doubts or questions about how the game works on steam.

1) I have preordered the game, and am still in possession of my SPF and alpha key, as a result, I am able to download and play the alphas. Question is, how do I get the game on steam?
2) If I do transfer the game onto steam, will weekly alphas be automatically added to the game via steam updates, or is it only when a big update hits?

Thanks for your time reading this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Silverfish

Re: Few doubts related to Steam

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:36 pm

You can get the game on Steam by registering your key on Humble Bundle, to do that go to this website:

Code: Select all

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key=YOURCDKEY
but replace "YOURCDKEY" with your actual cd key. This'll allow you to claim the game on your Humble Bundle account where you can then get a Steam key to add the game to your Steam account.

Updates hit Steam more frequently and earlier. In fact, if you opt in to the internal_testing branch on Steam, you might get several updates in a single day. internal_testing is very unstable though, so only do it if you're not worried about losing some level you're working on or not being able to play the game sometimes.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Silverfish wrote:1.
You can get the game on Steam by registering your key on Humble Bundle, to do that go to this website:

Code: Select all

https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key=YOURCDKEY
but replace "YOURCDKEY" with your actual cd key. This'll allow you to claim the game on your Humble Bundle account where you can then get a Steam key to add the game to your Steam account.
Isn't this how you register your Steam version on the Humble Store? He already has the DRM free version, so he has no CD Key, only the SPF Key.

I think the way you register your game on Steam is on your preorder page for Overgrowth. If you have a Humble Store account and have claimed your page, it should be in your purchases library. It's the same page where you got your SPF key from. There should be a button there that gives you an activation key for Steam.

The one problem I have is that you probably preordered before the current Humble Store activation was present. SO I don't know if your preorder page looks the same as mine.

One thing I would like to add is that by activating the game on Steam you are not giving up the DRM free version on the Humble Store. You can use both. Actually, you could use the version from the Humble Store, any of the ones available through Steam and any number of the ones you can download from the Forums.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:58 pm

EPR89 wrote:Isn't this how you register your Steam version on the Humble Store? He already has the DRM free version, so he has no CD Key, only the SPF Key.
Hmm, I'm not sure, this is confusing.