Custom Map "Bridge Mission"

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
FunnyJoker

Custom Map "Bridge Mission"

Post by FunnyJoker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:03 pm

I have made a custom map, its the first map I made which, if anything, means you should criticize it more than normal so I can get a hang of the publics' wants. It mostly has combat and little parkour, it includes lots of funny dialogue, if I do say so myself, and I'm quite proud of it. Enjoy!

Storyline

Your name is Jack and you live in a peaceful village. One day, a friend of yours informs you that a Raider gang, with an unknown Leader, has taken over a bridge adjacent to your village. The bridge being the only way to pass over "the Gap of Worlds", you decide to take back what was once your and restore peace to the area. Are the rabbits the only members of this raider gang? who is the mastermind behind it all? A story filled with intense Combat, Witty Dialogue and mind curing plot twists.

warning: the game requires quite a lot of experience and skill so don't get angry if you don't make it the first 100 times :wink:

no dependencies

PS. If anyone has some good ideas for some new maps, mention them in the comments and I'll see what I can do
Attachments
FunnyJoker.zip
Zip containing Level, Dialogue and UI
(93.62 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by FunnyJoker on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Custom Map "Bridge Mission"

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey, Sorry I haven't added this to SUMLauncher yet... I've been having some issues on my end with the current build of the game and SUMLauncher... but it is on my list to make this happen!

FunnyJoker

Post by FunnyJoker » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:08 am

Anton wrote:Hey, Sorry I haven't added this to SUMLauncher yet... I've been having some issues on my end with the current build of the game and SUMLauncher... but it is on my list to make this happen!
No problem, take as much time as you need, and thanks for all your work

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Hey, I have some feedback.

I really like the work you put in to making this seem like a distinct place that might actually exist. The way the villages are laid out, the encounters and pacing, the enemy variety and placement that actually give them a different feel and actually change the pace of the level, all spot on.

It's also pretty funny :)

There are some hotspots that trigger dialog that need to be tweaked because there are ways to avoid them, e.g. climbing up walls, walking around them, etc.

It's also really difficult. I would recommend putting restart checkpoints after each camp of enemies to balance it and make it a bit more fair.

I would use KO shields, too, but that's probably more of a personal preference.

FunnyJoker

Post by FunnyJoker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 am

kavika wrote:Hey, I have some feedback.

I really like the work you put in to making this seem like a distinct place that might actually exist. The way the villages are laid out, the encounters and pacing, the enemy variety and placement that actually give them a different feel and actually change the pace of the level, all spot on.

It's also pretty funny :)

There are some hotspots that trigger dialog that need to be tweaked because there are ways to avoid them, e.g. climbing up walls, walking around them, etc.

It's also really difficult. I would recommend putting restart checkpoints after each camp of enemies to balance it and make it a bit more fair.

I would use KO shields, too, but that's probably more of a personal preference.
Hello and thanks for the feed back.

I am actually quite new to this game so I might not be familiar with all its features in editor mode.

Regarding the dialog, I actually wanted to make it so that you can skip it by jumping over it so that every time you restarted you wouldn't have to go over it every single time. I also tried to put it in place so that you wouldn't skip it involuntarily, but if that's the case then I really must have a look at it. This was because I didn't know how to put checkpoints down (every time I try to add a checkpoint the game crashes. I haven't looked into it too much but now that you mentioned it I'll try and find a way to fix it)

lastly regarding KO shields, I don't really know what those are and I tried to do some interneting but I couldn't find anything. would you mind quickly explaining them to me please ?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm

FunnyJoker wrote:I actually wanted to make it so that you can skip it by jumping over it so that every time you restarted you wouldn't have to go over it every single time. I also tried to put it in place so that you wouldn't skip it involuntarily, but if that's the case then I really must have a look at it.
I was noticing this most at the final boss, when I was trying to creep/stealth over the walls to get in.

There is some support for making sure dialogs don't have to be played all the way through in the Overgrowth Lugaru campaign. If you crack open those levels you might see how we got that working, as well as a better restart on death.
FunnyJoker wrote:This was because I didn't know how to put checkpoints down (every time I try to add a checkpoint the game crashes. I haven't looked into it too much but now that you mentioned it I'll try and find a way to fix it)
The existing checkpoint feature is basically broken, and is being removed as the fix, to be replaced with a better checkpoint. If you add "objects/Hotspots/new_checkpoint.xml", I believe that one works better.
FunnyJoker wrote:lastly regarding KO shields, I don't really know what those are and I tried to do some interneting but I couldn't find anything. would you mind quickly explaining them to me please ?
The KO shield is something you can see the effects of in the Lugaru campaign. Blunt damage is ignored until the KO shield is taken out. Up to you if that's a good thing or not :) We added it to the Overgrowth Lugaru campaign because we felt like it made fights a little less random, didn't punish you quite as hard for messing up a single rabbit kick, etc.

TehFifthHorseman

Post by TehFifthHorseman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:15 am

merlyn wrote:Hey, I have some feedback.

Can you please explain to me how to use and program checkpoints! I can spawn them just fine by adding new_checkpoint, but I do not know how to activate them/make them work in general. If you could tell me how to make them work I would deeply appreciate it. It would completely upgrade my campaign im working on :)))

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 pm

TehFifthHorseman wrote:
merlyn wrote:Hey, I have some feedback.

Can you please explain to me how to use and program checkpoints! I can spawn them just fine by adding new_checkpoint, but I do not know how to activate them/make them work in general. If you could tell me how to make them work I would deeply appreciate it. It would completely upgrade my campaign im working on :)))
I figured out that new_checkpoint only respawns when you hit restart_at_checkpoint hotspots. I don't think we ship a checkpoint right now that respawns on death. It isn't terribly difficult to script one that would do that, though. If you look at the lugaru_level.as script, that might help you get started in making your own awesome checkpoint hotspot.

t3hspades

Post by t3hspades » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:44 am

Trying to play this but can't seem to get it to work. I've dragged the folder bridge_mission into the mods folder in my installation but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

FunnyJoker

Post by FunnyJoker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:00 am

t3hspades wrote:Trying to play this but can't seem to get it to work. I've dragged the folder bridge_mission into the mods folder in my installation but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
Try take the map only and placing it into the "Levels" file of Overgrowth. Then open Overgrowth and go on editor. At the bottomish of the screen there should be a sort of search bar where you can type in the name of custom levels placed in the "Levels" file. Write the Exact name of the file and press enter.