Player Passive BLock

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Peruraptor

Player Passive BLock

Post by Peruraptor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Is it just me, or is the Player's passive block a lot less effective than the enemies? Even if you stand completely still, you're still likely to recoil heavily upon getting struck, and get floored after 3-4 hits generally. Meanwhile, the enemy can often block indefinitely as long as it isn't in an attack animation. Note that I'm basing this on a226 and earlier, as a227 scaled up the enemy passive block even more (now they can pop up to do it when they're ragdolled).

Shadowfury333

Re: Player Passive BLock

Post by Shadowfury333 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm

There's still a passive block? I thought that was completely replaced by the active RMB block (making it the only non-context sensitive part of the game).

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:49 am

Shadowfury333 wrote:There's still a passive block? I thought that was completely replaced by the active RMB block (making it the only non-context sensitive part of the game).
Any time when you get hit by a blunt strike without getting ragdolled, it's a passive block.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Yeah, that still happens. However its seems to last for a lot less hits than the enemy passive block and you recoil a lot more.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Posting again because

A. The discrepancy actually isn't a new thing, since its the same even back in a200.

B. It seems to be due to the enemy adaptation to your fighting. After you hit an enemy with a specific move/combo, they will block that move/combo from then on. Something I notices was that very quickly it becomes basically impossible to land a generic hit on an enemy when they aren't attacking and turning down the enemies aggression makes them much harder to fight since they won't attack as often and access the unbeatable block more.

The main problem is that this is a decisive advantage that the player has no access to. The solution would be to give the player the same ability to get better at blocking when they are passive. Also, its current implementation breaks the feeling that I am fighting individual opponents on a linear timeline, instead of a 4th dimensional hive-mind, as all the rabbits seem to learn your fighting style at once even if they never witnessed, and their improvements remain after you restart. I suggested when I first arrived that the AI learning should reset with the level, and be implemented for individual enemies instead of all the rabbits in the game. Though it would be cool if the learning could also apply to enemies who see you fighting other rabbits.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 am

What sort of levels were you noticing this in (specifically the ones you played)? How long were you playing these levels, and how many times do you typically restart?

Can you walk me through a full play session of yours (a video would be excellent, but you could type it out if you want). How do you approach combat with enemies?