Help with Checkpoints

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TehFifthHorseman

Help with Checkpoints

Post by TehFifthHorseman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 am

Can someone please help/tell me how to properly activate/program checkpoints? I am able to spawn them just fine (new_checkpoint, not the old one) but I want to make it so that when the player dies, instead of starting at the beginning, the players starts at the last saved checkpoint. I know that there is a respawn_at_checkpoint hotspot, but that does not do much for me.

Can someone please tell me how to make it so that when a player dies, the player will respawn at the last checkpoint he entered.

btw, I have objectives in my custom levels such as destroy_all. I don't know if having objectives is relevant, but figured i'd add that information in there.

I would greatly appreciate whoever helps me :D :P

Thank you.

P.S. I've been working on a very immersive/long campaign that will come out soon, so having checkpoints will upgrade it very much.

merlyn

Re: Help with Checkpoints

Post by merlyn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 pm

That sounds really exciting :)

I saw your PM, and replied to it. I figured out yesterday that you're basically going to have to mod those hotspot scripts, or simply make a new hotspot to make it work the way I assume you want it to (e.g. respawn at that checkpoint upon death, and not just when you fall off a platform).

I'm easier to reach on the Wolfire discord, if you are interested in joining that. Can keep posting here too, of course, cause some of the modding community isn't on discord.

merlyn

Re: Help with Checkpoints

Post by merlyn » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:16 pm

I added docs for the new checkpoint system just now, if you want to check it out:

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Checkpoints