Combat suggestion: Throwing down from air counters?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
killedalive

Combat suggestion: Throwing down from air counters?

Post by killedalive » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:35 pm

After messing around in Lugaru, I had noticed just how deadly countering an airborne enemy was by throwing them to the ground from midair. Primarily, I was the victim in such battles.

Primarily, I would attempt to gain some rapid ground by leaping away, but my foes would throw me to the ground as I began to gain some air, and then proceed to pummel the fuzzy stuffing out of me.

adding this mechanic to Overgrowth would cause some pretty large shifts in strategy, especially reducing the effectiveness of Flying Rabbit kicks because any odd NPC can just slam you to the ground with the right timing. This would certainly make Wolves more deadly.

What do you people think of adding these Lugau styled mid-air counters? If there is a distinct reason why this feature was left out of Overgrowth, I would be happy to hear of it!

Crystalwarrior

Re: Combat suggestion: Throwing down from air counters?

Post by Crystalwarrior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 am

Honestly I feel like those throwdowns were pretty damn good, and a good counter to actual damage caused by them was to time a good roll and get some more distance away from the enemy.

Not only throw downs, but animal run should definitely come back in Overgrowth, as I find the current combat to be a bit lackluster in comparison to what we had in Lugaru - though OG combat is a lot more polished and justifiably slower-paced.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 am

Oh no not again...

Meeko011

Post by Meeko011 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 pm

I noticed sometimes with the wolves, that as I'd jump over them, they'd take a swipe at me and I'd slam into the ground, breaking my neck.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:50 pm

I think this is the nerf the dropkick/leg cannon needs, it's one of the more powerful attacks that has no counters. If nothing else it would look cool.

That said this comes from my limited knowledge of the combat system because I'm not too good at Overgrowth, so if someone more experienced wants to chime in I'd take their word.