Combat Suggestion: Throwing Choked/Hostage Enemies(Read On)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Fortport

Combat Suggestion: Throwing Choked/Hostage Enemies(Read On)

Post by Fortport » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 am

Hi there!

I'm here to post a couple of my ideas after replaying the wonderful do-over of Lugaru's campaign, with regards to the second beta of Overgrowth. I was fascinated by the many additions, and those new features gave me a couple of thoughts.

From playing so many alphas and such throughout Overgrowth's history of versions, I've gotten very familiar with the chokehold ability. With or without a knife can I put my enemies into a position where they're completely helpless, and their life is in the palm of my hand. The first idea came to me during an unarmed chokehold, in which I was discovered by my victim's friends. As my opponents came towards me, I envisioned flipping my dazed victim into them. Because of the new collisions between flying enemies and stable ones, this would've slowed the approaching rabbits down and given me something to do besides deciding between continuing the choke until the last second or releasing my captive and likely being punched in the process(before I could react).

This could be used to aggressively cancel the chokehold in a way that rewards catching your opponent off guard, despite detection. You could also flip victims off cliffs or into a wall on demand, after catching your opponent in the hold with or without a knife.

Another idea came to me during my sneaking and slashing through the levels, especially while holding rabbits hostage. Usually if you're spotted with a knife at a rabbit's throat, the others will zerg-rush you despite the very dangerous situation. How reckless! Don't these rabbits care about their partners? In a realistic situation, I could envision them surrounding me and then circling either in front of behind. Next they could launch a sudden assault from a random angle, throw a weapon at me to break the grapple, or something else.

This gives you a moment's pause to react to being spotted, and also to consider next steps same as your enemies. What do you all think of this?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Combat Suggestion: Throwing Choked/Hostage Enemies(Read

Post by Constance » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am

I personally would love to throw a rabbit at another like this. It's seriously a feature I would like to see in the final game.

Fortport

Post by Fortport » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 am

Timbles wrote:I personally would love to throw a rabbit at another like this. It's seriously a feature I would like to see in the final game.
Wolves throwing things should be rightfully intense, also.

Thank you for the reply!

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 am

These do seem like pretty cool suggestions, I would definitely like a throw/push feature that ragdolls the enemy with speed away from me so that they could hit their allies or a wall, e.t.c.

Another thing is that Ai don't seem to have much ally preservation at the moment, they don't really care what happens to their friends unless they're unalerted...
Some form of risk check would be cool, like maintaining distance when enemies have weapons, maybe making their reaction system more or less brash based on their aggression parameter

Also, wolves shouldn't chokehold, they should just pick the enemy straight up by the neck and throw them when they pass out

Fortport

Post by Fortport » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:20 am

I can picture wolves grappling their enemy and then slinging them around viciously against the ground. Or bite the neck and hold down, breaking. If they're so hard to sneak with, it could be rewarding to actually manage grabbing the first rabbit before they can react.

Just throwing them around is pretty good.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 am

halzoid wrote:These do seem like pretty cool suggestions, I would definitely like a throw/push feature that ragdolls the enemy with speed away from me so that they could hit their allies or a wall, e.t.c.

Another thing is that Ai don't seem to have much ally preservation at the moment, they don't really care what happens to their friends unless they're unalerted...
Some form of risk check would be cool, like maintaining distance when enemies have weapons, maybe making their reaction system more or less brash based on their aggression parameter

Also, wolves shouldn't chokehold, they should just pick the enemy straight up by the neck and throw them when they pass out
Well pre a227 enemies tended to keep their distance and look for an opening instead of rushing in and attacking 24/7. I'm not sure if its a glitch or if the betas have fixed it (haven't been able to get them working on Sierra). I do agree that allies should show more caution when their friends are getting used as a human (rabbit?) shield.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm

Peruraptor wrote:I'm not sure if its a glitch or if the betas have fixed it (haven't been able to get them working on Sierra)
This is strange. We had better luck on Sierra than previous versions of OSX in our tests...

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 pm

It seems to lock up trying to authenticate the publisher. It managed to get through the first few times I tried to download the game, but wouldn't allow the game to open because I didn't recognize Wolfire as a Valid publisher.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Peruraptor wrote:It seems to lock up trying to authenticate the publisher. It managed to get through the first few times I tried to download the game, but wouldn't allow the game to open because I didn't recognize Wolfire as a Valid publisher.
Oh, that's interesting.

Did you try the instructions here? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088?locale=en_US

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:53 pm

merlyn wrote: Oh, that's interesting.

Did you try the instructions here? https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088?locale=en_US
I've attempted this, but when I when I hit open it still brings up a verification progress bar that jumps to around 3/5ths of the way through and then never advances.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Peruraptor wrote:
merlyn wrote: Oh, that's interesting.

I've attempted this, but when I when I hit open it still brings up a verification progress bar that jumps to around 3/5ths of the way through and then never advances.
Alright, this isn't on topic for this thread, so I'll split it off instead of continuing it.

Please either open another thread, or send us an email at [email protected]. Record a video of this process with QuickTime, and upload it to youtube or dropbox (or whatever), and give us a link.