Stealth Suggestion: Hiding on Ledges

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Fortport

Stealth Suggestion: Hiding on Ledges

Post by Fortport » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Like the subject says. Currently, it's impossible to sneak past someone facing a ledge or walking by a ledge with you holding onto it. Your body juts out over the top and you're reasonably visible.

I don't meant to suggest completely undetectable climbing, but something else. Maybe a hiding mechanic, for when a guard is near or about to come past? It could work, because guards randomly pivot their head around and give opportunities. Remember Mark of the Ninja?

Anyway, here's how the hiding mechanic could work. Simply holding the back or down key, with right click. Then your character ducks down and hangs with one arm or two, hidden from people passing by up top.

Majikmon

Re: Stealth Suggestion: Hiding on Ledges

Post by Majikmon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:59 pm

This is a very interesting and useful mechanic idea.

From the viewpoint of the NPCs on the surface plane you're holding onto, your hands, ears (and your head when they're closer to the edge) are visible to them. This rightfully raises suspicion and results in detection. That is as you said: reasonable.

Having fewer parts visible while holding onto a ledge to reduce the chance of detection at a distance opens new possibilities for stealth-parkour gameplay. A level with many enemies on platforms could change from focusing on jump timing and fighting, to how quickly you can complete the level undetected. Stealth play styles would be enhanced by this feature.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:25 am

as I mentioned on discord, I second this...

Plz add feature, bunny stealth immersion required

Fortport

Post by Fortport » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 pm

To make it so you can't also just spam this, you could either make moving possible in this position, but really slow...

...or make it impossible to move in this position until you release the down key.