Breaking line of sight doesn't seem to work

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Peruraptor

Breaking line of sight doesn't seem to work

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 pm

I have a stealth related comment that's been bugging me for a while: breaking line of sight when moving behind hills and other topographical features. It seems like you can only escape from alerted enemies by dodging behind added scenery objects, otherwise they will maintain a permanent fix on your location every if you put seven mountains and nine changes in direction between you and them. This led to a rather bizarre glitch in the campfire level of the Lugaru campaign where enemies would find a body, then make an immediate b-line for my location, even though I was generally crouched out of sight behind a tall rock formation. I also wonder if the enemy vision has been improved/changed back what it in the early a200s recently, since it seems enemies spot you a lot easier and further away than they did before, making stealth a lot harder.

Silverfish

Re: Breaking line of sight doesn't seem to work

Post by Silverfish » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 am

I split your post into a new topic to keep the other thread on topic.

This seems like a bug, it would be great if you could find a way to reproduce it and then send a bug report about this in an email to [email protected] describing the issue in as much detail as you can. Attach these two files to the email (paths assume you're using Mac):
1. The "hwreport" file from your "Macintosh HD/Users/YourUsername/Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/Data/" folder.
2. The "logfile" file from your "Macintosh HD/Users/YourUsername/Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/" folder.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Do you mean that the chasing over hills or the Campfire Glitch looks like a bug. I've done a bit of testing in a226 and a227 (both on OS 10.12.2 in the Desert outpost level) and found that the hill chasing was more complicated than I initially thought. Only rarely does the enemy seem to both track your movements AND chase you while out of line of sight (this has occurred a couple of times in a227, while I was still close enough to make it an arguable example). I may have mixed this up with Lugaru, where enemies DO track you over multiple hills while ignoring breaks in line of sight from terrain, or been remembering a glitch that was present while I was still on OS 10.8.5 (Unlikely, as the majority of reoccurring gameplay bugs in a227 have transferred). In the Overgrowth Alphas I toyed around in they didn't go to that extreme, but did act in unusual ways worth noting. In a226 they would indeed generally stop when they lost track of you, and enter the searching state. However, they would never leave this state (or return to their pathways if they had any) after any amount of time. In a227 they would also stop, but instead of entering the search state, they would stand still in the combat state, and track your movement with their head until you reentered their line of sight, at which point they would start chasing you down again. There appears to be some variability even within alphas, as I seem to recall seeing the latter glitch in a226 a few times, as well as one instance where the enemy actually appeared to return to their pathway after a short amount of time. I'll try to get some functional bug reports, but would you only like the report from a227, or do you also want the one from a226.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 am

We'd only like reports from the latest stable or unstable version. So that's either beta 2 or internal_testing on Steam.