What mod would you make?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
yttrekollo

Re: What mod would you make?

Post by yttrekollo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 pm

I would make a kind of version of this http://www.gaxonline.com/group/rabbitdo ... pic:132193.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 pm

No mods.

I like to mod free/open source games. I don't really like the feeling of giving free advertising for someone else's proprietary game.
d3ath_fly wrote:Equilibrium.
But I like the idea of THIS very, very much.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Skofo wrote:No mods.
I don't really like the feeling of giving free advertising for someone else's proprietary game.
Jesus Christ.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:32 am

Vib Rib wrote:
I don't really like the feeling of giving free advertising for someone else's proprietary game.
Jesus Christ.
I think you've mistaken me for someone else.

Vib Rib
Lugaru da Vinci

Post by Vib Rib » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 am

Skofo wrote: I think you've mistaken me for someone else.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 am

Oh my god.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 am

I like to mod free/open source games. I don't really like the feeling of giving free advertising for someone else's proprietary game.
Is there anything we could do to entice you to make mods for Overgrowth?

broli

Post by broli » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Maybe the ability of making mods standalone would attract more people to play it and in turn maybe buy OG.

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Skofo's objections are pretty clearly ideological ones -- to get his input, I suspect you'd need to make OG a free, open-source game, which is pretty clearly counter to the idea of having an independent game company unless you like the idea of trying to survive off of donations.

Playing mods separate from the main game, to me, implies playing mods without having to pay for the main game, which runs into similar problems as the above.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Jeff wrote:

Is there anything we could do to entice you to make mods for Overgrowth?
The best thing that a game can offer to encourage me to mod it other than being free is giving the freedom to script multiplayer game modes (maybe VIP assassination or physics-enabled football), as the scripting aspect of modding usually interests me the most. If the game won't offer a physics sandbox mode right off the bat, being able to mod one would be pretty nice as well.

I loved Lugaru and have been closely following the development of Overgrowth for quite some time and have become increasingly impressed by it with each update, so don't think that I have anything against the game itself or its developers. It's just that my motivation to finish anything on non-free platforms quickly dissipates because of the constant thought in the back of my head as I'm modding that my playerbase would only be restricted to the people who bought the game I'm modding, as opposed to everyone.

But anyway, ultimately whether I will decide to mod Overgrowth or not will be determined by how flexible and fun I think the Overgrowth game and engine is. As I said in my earlier post, though, I'm not planning on it.

Nigmos

Post by Nigmos » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 pm

I see your point. I've been into modding games before, and I noticed I could motivate myself to work more if I knew anyone could just download the mod and try it out anytime.

But if anyone needs a hand with 3d models sometime in Overgrowth, modding or on the game itself, I'll be glad to help out. Just don't expect too much :P

d3ath_fly

Post by d3ath_fly » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Skofo wrote:
See, he knows whats up. :D

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 am

d3ath_fly wrote:
Skofo wrote:
See, he knows whats up. :D
For those who don't, it's fancy gun-fighting.
And it would be awesome in this game.

Vetrox

Post by Vetrox » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Skofo wrote:It's just that my motivation to finish anything on non-free platforms quickly dissipates because of the constant thought in the back of my head as I'm modding that my playerbase would only be restricted to the people who bought the game I'm modding, as opposed to everyone.
I don't think the playerbase you'd reach would be much larger if Overgrowth was free and/or open source, they aren't really charging that much for it. The players who enjoy it will most likely buy it. Even younger kids without plastic are finding ways to pre-order. I myself barely have enough money for a ride into town, but I still saved up to get Overgrowth.
Skofo wrote:I don't really like the feeling of giving free advertising for someone else's proprietary game.
What's wrong with helping out a young independent company which creates products you enjoy? Implementing modifications to someone else's code on your free time, for your own enjoyment, isn't really something you can expect to get paid for - or is it proprietary software as a whole you're against? Then why even support such things by purchasing them?

Would be cool to see a physics and/or online mod though, please think about it!

mryuck

Post by mryuck » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:15 pm

to preface this i have no idea how to program.

but something cool that might be implemented at some point would be including senses other then sight. like you hold a key and the screen overlays what turner hears, or what he smells or something. different races could have unique combinations in terms of sensitivity, and what senses are available. for example, cats might have sharp senses of smell and sight, but they cant hear very far, or something. it doesn't have to be entirely realistic. this could also help compensate for physical weakness of a race. like moles could be sensitive to vibrations, and thus "see" through obstacles.

what i imagine is you press tab for example, and everything goes infared-like: the world is some dark greenish color, with smells appearing as colorful blotches. the most intense smells would be the brightest, and different colors might represent different kinds of smells. wolves could be red, rabbits could be yellow, etc. the characters would leave "trails" of smell behind them, that would fade over time, and they could roll in the grass, or jump into water, to temporarily disguise their smells.

sound could be similar, except that turner would "see" pulses moving over the landscape.

anyways, i bet this would be really hard to do, and require many many hours, but its something that could be unique to overgrowth, and would open up all kinds of possibilities for combat.